A sad comment on America in the 21st century....

Practically no one has any problems with run-of the-mill patriotic displays. The problem occurs when patriotism is transmuted into nationalism and used as a weapon against your own countrymen.
What is wrong with nationalism? You say it like it's a naughty word or something.

Who the fuck is using "patriotism" as a weapon against their own countrymen? It appears to me that our own countrymen are using foreign nationals as a weapon against us, their countrymen.

Does anybody give a single fuck about individual liberty anymore?

Since when did the pursuit of happiness become an evil act?

From a REAL Liberal:

"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." —Thomas Jefferson

Just sitting here trying to envision a dictatorship where nationalism is not used to control the people and get the armies marching. I can't. Nationalism is a devotion to the state and especially it's leaders. Not my kind of thing. Patriotism is a devotion to the people. That should be everyone's kind of thing.
Fine, but when did the pursuit of happiness become evil?

The pursuit of happiness is always evil when you are a sadist. Not sure what it is you feel prevented from pursuing that would make you happy but I'm pretty sure it involves fucking-up someone else.
How predictable of you.

Practically no one has any problems with run-of the-mill patriotic displays. The problem occurs when patriotism is transmuted into nationalism and used as a weapon against your own countrymen.
What is wrong with nationalism? You say it like it's a naughty word or something.

Who the fuck is using "patriotism" as a weapon against their own countrymen? It appears to me that our own countrymen are using foreign nationals as a weapon against us, their countrymen.

Does anybody give a single fuck about individual liberty anymore?

Since when did the pursuit of happiness become an evil act?

From a REAL Liberal:

"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." —Thomas Jefferson

Just sitting here trying to envision a dictatorship where nationalism is not used to control the people and get the armies marching. I can't. Nationalism is a devotion to the state and especially it's leaders. Not my kind of thing. Patriotism is a devotion to the people. That should be everyone's kind of thing.
Fine, but when did the pursuit of happiness become evil?

The pursuit of happiness is always evil when you are a sadist. Not sure what it is you feel prevented from pursuing that would make you happy but I'm pretty sure it involves fucking-up someone else.
How predictable of you.

Predictable is a right-winger unable to articulate exactly why they feel so terribly oppressed.

Forum List

Back