A question I have to ask...

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
Do many, perhaps most, members who create threads in the Politics, CDZ and Current Events subforums yearn to be news reporters?

I have to ask because so often OP content and titles contains little more than a lifted headline and perhaps the OP-er's thinly presented opinion on the "headline." Often enough, the "headline" and OP says nothing that can't be obtained from consuming the content of any news outlet. Thus, I've often found myself wondering whether folks genuinely see USMB as a "practice pen" for budding cub reporters?

Do many, perhaps most, members who create threads in the Politics, CDZ and Current Events subforums yearn to be news reporters?

I have to ask because so often OP content and titles contains little more than a lifted headline and perhaps the OP-er's thinly presented opinion on the "headline." Often enough, the "headline" and OP says nothing that can't be obtained from consuming the content of any news outlet. Thus, I've often found myself wondering whether folks genuinely see USMB as a "practice pen" for budding cub reporters?
Since most "news reporters" these days appear to be offering their opinions rather than news, maybe.

Since most "news reporters" these days appear to be offering their opinions rather than news, maybe.
most "news reporters" these days appear to be offering their opinions rather than news
Actually that's what news commentators (editorialists) and analysts do. News reporters still just deliver the "who, what, when, where, how and why" of a story. It's the audience's job to discern when they are consuming an editorial and when they are consuming a news report.

We all failed journalism school.
Perhaps you're right. One'd have thought that failure would dissuade folks from persisting to try to be a journalist. One hopes failed physicists aren't out there making nuclear bombs and launching satellites.

Last edited:
You are too new to remember the Nigerian poster who ran a Nigerian news magazine here for a month or so. Just kept opening threads including nothing but a copied Nigerian news article and maybe a five word sentence. Then there's MindWars, who shares with us a good deal of InfoWars' offerings on a daily basis. Like with any magazine, if you aren't interested, don't open it.

Don't you ever remark on a news article from the paper and just want to talk it over?

most "news reporters" these days appear to be offering their opinions rather than news
Actually that's what news commentators (editorialists) and analysts do. News reporters still just deliver the "who, what, when, where, how and why" of a story. It's the audience's job to discern when they are consuming an editorial and when they are consuming a news report.
That's the way it's supposed to be. Obviously, you didn't read my response. That's a pattern with you and probably why you keep asking the same question.

That's the way it's supposed to be. Obviously, you didn't read my response. That's a pattern with you and probably why you keep asking the same question.
I did read your response. I saw the "maybe" at the end of it.

I did read your response. I saw the "maybe" at the end of it.
Guess I should have been more definite and said, "many, perhaps most" LOL

You are too new to remember the Nigerian poster who ran a Nigerian news magazine here for a month or so. Just kept opening threads including nothing but a copied Nigerian news article and maybe a five word sentence. Then there's MindWars, who shares with us a good deal of InfoWars' offerings on a daily basis. Like with any magazine, if you aren't interested, don't open it.

Don't you ever remark on a news article from the paper and just want to talk it over?
Then there's MindWars, who shares with us a good deal of InfoWars' offerings on a daily basis.

Yes...as if we can't merely click on that site and read it too, for it's not as though Mindwars shares much, if anything, that isn't found in the source article.

Decide for yourself: http://www.usmessageboard.com/search/12094120/. I'm sure I have, but I don't make a habit of parroting a news story and posting no analysis of my own that goes beyond the story a news organization published and I yet manage to broach a variety of topics.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the news catalyzing one's interest in discussing a matter. I think that one's having little of analytical substance to present besides the news story itself adds nothing that the original writer of the published story didn't address.

Last edited:

msm reporters are not reporters, they are propagandists. The us media has become a government party.

xelirs puzzlement is based in ignorance.

when you debate, or compose scholarly opinions, your opinion is but a small part of the work. The rest is case building. Evidence that is contained in supporting documentation, and opinions from other ppl that support your own.

Then there's MindWars, who shares with us a good deal of InfoWars' offerings on a daily basis.

Yes...as if we can't merely click on that site and read it too, for it's not as though Mindwars shares much, if anything, that isn't found in the source article.

Decide for yourself: http://www.usmessageboard.com/search/12094120/. I'm sure I have, but I don't make a habit of parroting a news story and posting no analysis of my own that goes beyond the story a news organization published and I yet manage to broach a variety of topics.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the news catalyzing one's interest in discussing a matter. I think that one's having little of analytical substance to present besides the news story itself adds nothing that the original writer of the published story didn't address.
Nonsense. What you are saying is you are only interested in your opinions and are too intellectually lazy to research it support them.

you are an example of the failure of our nationalized school system. You think your feelings are more valid than facts, information, and structured idea building.

Granted. It's great when a poster wants to use an article as a springboard for different ideas, but I still don't see anything wrong with just sharing an article and inviting discussion about the topic as is. In the CDZ, I believe more content is required, but not in the other forums. At least that's my understanding.
If we want to just read an article, we grab the paper, read it and leave. Here, we can post the article and invite other posters to comment. I still don't see anything wrong with that.

Nonsense. What you are saying is you are only interested in your opinions and are too intellectually lazy to research it support them.

you are an example of the failure of our nationalized school system. You think your feelings are more valid than facts, information, and structured idea building.
Kgirl, Xelor extensively researches his posts and the facts upon which he bases his arguments.

Granted. It's great when a poster wants to use an article as a springboard for different ideas, but I still don't see anything wrong with just sharing an article and inviting discussion about the topic as is. In the CDZ, I believe more content is required, but not in the other forums. At least that's my understanding.
If we want to just read an article, we grab the paper, read it and leave. Here, we can post the article and invite other posters to comment. I still don't see anything wrong with that.
I still don't see anything wrong with that.

"Wrong" isn't the adjective I'd used to describe that practice. In fact, I don't believe I describe anywhere what I think normatively of that practice. I did, however, ask whether people see themselves as reporters, seeing as reporting information is what reporters do.

Last edited:
Many people here have a very narrow reading regimen which results in posts far removed from reality. Arguing the topic is pointless in many cases.

"Wrong" isn't the adjective I'd used to describe that practice. In fact, I don't believe I describe anywhere what I think normatively of that practice. I did, however, ask whether people see themselves as reporters, seeing as reporting information is what reporters do.
I would say your question certainly sounds as if you're finding fault with it, Xelor. Why else would you ask that question? Obviously no one here feels they are a reporter. Don't be getting all tricky on us and saying "Oh I didn't say that." You implied it; own it.
I don't start many threads because (1) I feel I should babysit them, try to keep it at least mildly on topic, and (2) I don't get that worked up very often. When I do, I can't think of any that relied on an article, except a couple times when I shared a column that made me laugh hard.
Actually, when there is breaking news, it's nice to have someone announce it, like when the polling was over yesterday in France and someone floated a thread on Macron's win as soon as it was announced. Don't you think that's helpful?

Kgirl, Xelor extensively researches his posts and the facts upon which he bases his arguments.
Thank you.

Here's just one example of my doing so: CDZ - Understanding how the ACA's discounting provisions help people afford health insurance. In that post, I open with my two key assertions and proceed to illustrate empirically and with supporting linked content precisely why I have made them. In contrast, readers of that thread will find the following completely unsubstantiated assertions:
Obviously the claim Koshergirl posted asserting that I'm "too intellectually lazy to research" and support my assertions is yet another assertion presented without evidence which shouldn't be hard, assuming it were so, to obtain seeing as I've shared a link that identifies every thread I've started.

I would say your question certainly sounds as if you're finding fault with it, Xelor. Why else would you ask that question? Obviously no one here feels they are a reporter. Don't be getting all tricky on us and saying "Oh I didn't say that." You implied it; own it.
I don't start many threads because (1) I feel I should babysit them, try to keep it at least mildly on topic, and (2) I don't get that worked up very often. When I do, I can't think of any that relied on an article, except a couple times when I shared a column that made me laugh hard.
Actually, when there is breaking news, it's nice to have someone announce it, like when the polling was over yesterday in France and someone floated a thread on Macron's win as soon as it was announced. Don't you think that's helpful?
Don't you think that's helpful?
No. That information was "all over" the news. What I'd find helpful is cogent analysis about something having to do with the election, France, how it may change as a result of the election, or even the contenders for the office of POF.

Why else would you ask that question?
To gather information prior to forming a normative conclusion about the matter. As you noted, I research things before I form/air views about them. I don't know a soul here, so the best way to find out how people perceive themselves is to ask a specific question to find out.

What are the loaded terms in my question that imply I have an opinion one way or the other about whether doing so is right or wrong?

Forum List

Back