A Question for Atheists

Was there a point in your life where you determined/ decided there is not God? No flaming please, I am sincerely interested. Do you have thoughts on a afterlife? Do you hold a belief in anything else besides science?

Again, no flaming. Can you define your belief system and how it was developed?

As a kid I was taken to church and Sunday school, but never really believed.

At some point in my life- probably around 12 or 13, I realized that I didn't believe in any God, and that for a variety of reasons 'God' made no sense to me. I rarely mentioned that at the time because there was so much animosity towards anyone who said there was no god.

Now I am basically a quiet Atheist- I don't go around telling believers that they wrong, but if someone insists on telling me that I am wrong, I will defend my lack of belief in their God.

By the way- I enjoy reading the Bible.

I come here to discuss it because it makes friends uncomfortable. I think its bad for people but they want to believe so they think I'm attacking them not realizing I'm trying to help them.

I'm glad to see we aren't alone or as much of a minority as people think.

My brother and his little kids believe in god. I don't tell them they're being brainwashed just like I don't tell them Santa isn't real. I'll wait for them to grow up before I dare suggest its all made up. 18 years of brainwashing. Its gonna be hard to convince them heaven isnt real.

I dunno, I wasn't raised religious (though my grandmother invested lots of time in trying to convert me) and I never found arguments for religion very convincing. I define myself as an atheist because I don't think there's any real reason to believe in a god, but I understand why some do believe in that vague notion. What I absolutely do not understand is how people can vehemently believe in a religion and know perfectly well that if they had been born on the other side of the world they would believe something else just as passionately.

I remember being a little kid and having a real problem with the story where Jesus fed 5000 with 5 loaves and 3 fish.

I heard a woman on religious TV telling kids this story the other day and those kids didn't ask 1 question about how that was possible.

I was 12 when I first gave the issue some thought. I was aware that there were many religions and all claimed they were the true ones. It seemed to me that it was unlikely that God would want to divide the world and give us cause to fight. It also seemed unlikely that there would be one true religion that so many people in the world never even heard of. Since I couldn't see that only one religion was correct were they all correct? I couldn't get beyond how different they all were so I crossed that option off too. If no single religion was correct and all of them were flawed then it seemed my only option was that they were all wrong.

That was a very long time ago and I've learned much since then but I've never changed my mind on religion. There may be a God or gods out there but I'm convinced no one has any more clue than I do.

I was about 12 sitting in church and realizing that what I was hearing was no different than Santa Claus, elves, unicorns, astrology and the Easter Bunny

When I was a child I doubted the concept of god but I kept these thoughts to myself. As i became a preteen my friends and I would discuss the existence of god along with bigfoot and the loch Ness Monster. I was probably agnostic around that time. I became an atheist when I was a teenager. I realized so many things in the bible were historically and scientifically wrong. I remember thinking the whole book is probably BS and a way to control people. Where I grew up it felt to me the majority held these views also. Very rarely in my age group did I meet christians. I have no beliefs in an afterlife whether it be reincarnation, Nirvana or Heaven. I'm pretty much a skeptic on everything.

Was there a point in your life where you determined/ decided there is not God? No flaming please, I am sincerely interested. Do you have thoughts on a afterlife? Do you hold a belief in anything else besides science?

For me, I never bought in to God from as far back as I remember. It simply put just did not make sense to me. My folks took me and my brother to church a few times and I recall never feeling comfortable putting on a suite and going through the whole routine. We used to have the pastor come to our door occasionally and my mom would tell him we simply are not religious. I always saw religion as the words of men not the word of God. Man wrote the books and gave the sermons so why believe in him when he or she is not better than me. I also grew up in a area where Catholics were abundant and cringed at the stories of the schools and churches punishing the followers and students for whatever they did. I always compared that to torture chambers as the friends I had truely hated the brothers and sisters of their schools and churches for the punishments they handed out including beatings.

Its little things that add up. Like seeing how sure Muslim and Mormons are that their stories are true. How can both be right? Maybe both aren't real including mine? That kind of thinking. Watch the old and new cosmos and see what you believe after that. Fuck the bible Koran or book of Mormons.

Most modern day christians admit and understand the Adam snake Jonah whale parting seas and Noah stories are just allegories but it doesn't even dawn on them so too is the Mary virgin birth Jesus was god story. That they take literally.

New Topics

Forum List

Back