A positive sports story woman weight lifting coach

sorry about that.

As a ninth-grade newbie signing up to join the East River High School boys weightlifting team, Nick Puleo figured he would be greeted by a “big muscle guy teaching us”.
Instead, a woman, Chelsea John, introduced herself as the head coach.

ADVERTISING

“It was definitely different. You wouldn’t expect it,” recalls Puleo, now a senior leader for a Falcons team fresh off a Class 2A region championship. “But she knows the technique. And she knows how to word things just right. It comes together as a great coach.”
G32UU5LBFBEHLL4HTQMWLSVEYQ.jpg

East River senior Nick Puleo, who was a weightlifting state champion last season, moved up to the 129-pound class. (Stephen M. Dowell/Orlando Sentinel)
John, 32, became part of the program as an assistant coach 10 years ago fresh out of UCF. She had zero weightlifting training before former East River coach Dan Abalo asked her to assist with the girls squad, which competes in the winter.

PAID POST​

What Is This?
What employers can learn from the Great Resignation
What employers can learn from the Great Resignation
One thing in business is certain: Selling will never be the same again.
SEE MORE
Sponsored Content by Brandpoint content
“Chelsea was phenomenal. She was new to the school, she was eager to coach,” Abalo said Monday. “Her background was limited. But that said, she had a personality that said she wanted to learn more about the sport and about the girls.”
Abalo asked John to stay on as an assistant for the boys’ spring season.
“She maneuvered that like a champ,” he said. “She knew the rules, she knew the sport, she knew the competitiveness. She was instrumental in helping us build that program and making it competitive.”
John became head coach after Abalo, now an assistant principal for University High, moved fully into administration.
“Fifteen years ago I never would have thought I’d be a weightlifting coach,” John said this week. “But I really fell in love with the sport. I learned as I grew.”
John, the mother of a son and daughter, is assisted by longtime weightlifting coach Steven Muise and Charles Sprenkel, a football assistant coach. The program is the strongest in Orange County this year.
Veteran football assistant coach Joe Anagnostis works alongside that trio as East River’s girls weightlifting head coach. He also is the head coach for girls flag football.
“My freshman year we had like 15 to 20 guys,” Puleo said. “Now it’s like 50 or 60 in the weight room. Kids are seeing what we’re doing. They see the success. It really has been an eye-opener to the kids around campus. They’re trying to be part of the program.”
East River repeated as district and region champ and will send nine qualifiers to Thursday’s FHSAA Class 3A state championship meet at Port St. Joe High School. Puleo, the state champion in the 119-pound weight class as a junior, moved up to 129 this year.
Sentinel Sports Final

Sentinel Sports Final​

Weekdays

Every morning, get the late sports scores and stories from the night before.
>
The team departs Wednesday morning for the trip to the Panhandle. Lifters weigh in Wednesday night.
Only St. Cloud has more 3A state qualifiers among Orlando area teams. The Bulldogs, led by 154-pound state favorite Julian Sykes, are sending 10 lifters who will complete in the “traditional” competition, which includes the bench press and clean-and-jerk; and 12 in the new Olympic style snatch division.
Orange City University has eight traditional qualifiers.
Leesburg has nine qualifiers as one of the best 2A snatch teams.
Individuals to watch in the 3A meet include Harmony’s Isaac Balado, the top qualifier at 129; Windermere sophomore Andres Giron at 169; and West Orange heavyweight Max Dulansky.
Lake Minneola’s Roy Higgins is the top 219-pound qualifier for the 2A meet, which is Friday at the same site. The 1A meet is Saturday.
This report was first published at Orlandosentinel.com. Varsity Content Editor Buddy Collings can be reached by email at [email protected].

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Forum List

Back