A Pop-Culture Proof of Evil

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
The American comic book super-villain Kingpin is a fat-cat underworld tycoon who is a nemesis of the heroic Spider-Man (Marvel Comics), a masked soaring urban-defender.

Kingpin uses his wealth for unscrupulous aspirations, and he symbolizes a new age urbanization-related spiritual anxiety about the frailty of economics-based contracts in the social governance of a profiteering peoples.

Since Kingpin represents 'contract frustration' (and hence the most basic desire for war/conflict), he serves as a 'proof of evil' if we model our referential 'ethics universe' as one being governed by reciprocity.

The great philosopher-writer Thomas Hobbes wrote in his seminal politics-treatise "Leviathan" [1651] that there is a natural human instinct to seek reinvention of government (since contracts are challenging to insure).

Kingpin represents capitalism contracts gone awry and the notion that gluttony is anti-social.

Is Kingpin therefore a 'pedestrianism-consciousness' based proof of the existence of evil (if only in a certain 'frame-of-reference')?

====

KINGPIN: Capitalism is for the profiteer.
REPORTER: Do you feel honored by your wealth?
KINGPIN: I don't think I'm evil.
REPORTER: Some consider you to be a suspicious fat-cat.
KINGPIN: They worry about the accumulation of wealth.
REPORTER: Do you think you're a prophet.
KINGPIN: Yes, I do. I believe I'm a prophet of labor.
REPORTER: Christians and supporters of Hoffa would disagree.

====

Kingpin (Marvel.com)

Leviathan (Hobbes - Wikipedia)

Kingpinm.png

Customer Technician

Talking about 'systemic ethics' makes me feel better about 'consumerism creepiness.'

firedog.jpg

Forum List

Back