A new way to find life on another planet

watchingfromafar

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2017
Our search for life on another planet needs to look for a light source that did not come from a sun.

Humans produce light unlike the sun—

1639936085012.png

1639936826291.png

If you can find a light source with this wave length, you have found what we have been looking for----
Anyone agree/disagree?
:)-

Last edited:
Our search for life on another planet needs to look for a light source that did not come from a sun.

View attachment 577459

If you can find a light source with this wave length, you have found what we have been looking for----
Anyone agree/disagree?
Agreed. But the strategy they use -- analyzing the chemical compounds in a planet's atmosphere (they can tell by its color, as I understand it) -- is supposedly the easiest way.

However, whatever the hell works, I'm all for it. Look for light sources too, you bet.

View attachment 577459

View attachment 577463

Anyone agree/disagree?
The amount of light we produce on earth is trivial compared to the Sun's reflection. I'd guess we'd need instruments orders of magnitude better than what we have now.

Agreed. But the strategy they use -- analyzing the chemical compounds in a planet's atmosphere (they can tell by its color, as I understand it) -- is supposedly the easiest way.

However, whatever the hell works, I'm all for it. Look for light sources too, you bet.
Yes, because we cannot directly resolve these planets. They are too small and too far away.

So the Webb telescope will peer at their atmosphere spectra in infrared as the planets transit their parent stars.

The amount of light we produce on earth is trivial compared to the Sun's reflection. I'd guess we'd need instruments orders of magnitude better than what we have now.
And would also have to resolve the dark sides of theseplanets in visible light. Which means the will be between us and their parents stars. Which means their parent star's glare will be insurmountable.

View attachment 577459

View attachment 577463

Anyone agree/disagree?

We should be scanning the galaxy for bad 90's TV show reruns.

I just stumbled across this lying clickbait on YouTube. In the comment section people were quick to accept the title even though it was a lie. People are so easily manipulated

I just stumbled across this lying clickbait on YouTube. In the comment section people were quick to accept the title even though it was a lie. People are so easily manipulated

I didn't see one single comment where anyone believed the video title.

If you can find a light source with this wave length, you have found what we have been looking for

But the problem is, we would not actually be seeing that wavelength. We know for a fact that the "light" we see from distant objects are not their actual color. That is why we use computers and filters to process it to return them to what we would expect to see.

Plus, the amount of light is insignificant and completely overwhelmed by the light given off by it's star. Might as well say you are going to identify a match by it's wavelength from 200 meters away inside of a brightly lit sports stadium.

Forum List

Back