A Green Beret get's it right about Kaepernick

I'm not afraid of discussing the issue that Kaerpernick raised. I've done so often here, and will do so many times in the future.

This is about what they and libs in general, have revealed about themselves with their support of the idea that disrespecting the flag, and the nation it stands for, is a valid method of expression.
That's exactly what I was talking about. This is not about the flag, this is not about the military, this is not about the anthem.

I can't get through to you on this. So I'll just watch.

Oh but it is about the flag...and all sane people know this. There is another 23 hours and 55 minutes on Sunday...protests do not need to be held during the five minutes of a display of patriotism. ALL good Americans understand this in total clarity...If you canā€™t, you might be half American.
Smart protesters hoping to be effective should always consider the ā€œtime and placeā€ of a protest. The problem is; in this case the protest was spearheaded by ignorant, low iQ filth who forgot to consider the details.
Consider this....
What if good Americans were to protest welfare dependency and criminality on MLK Day and Cinco De Mayo ONLY. Would the TIMING be in poor taste? How well received and effective would said protest be amongst some ā€˜groupsā€™?
Iā€™ve noticed this question terrifies the shit out of Lefties...maybe with you being 3/4 Lefty youā€™ll be willing to tackle it?
They'd bitch and moan, just like you guys are.

The two ends are very similar in their behaviors.

Easiest question I'll get all day, thanks.

Theyā€™d ā€œbitch and moanā€ youā€™re exactly right..and quess what; youā€™d be right there telling us how wrong we are for choosing to hold said protest on MLK Day and Cinco De Mayo. Right?
Well, no, unlike you wingers, I believe in freedom of expression for all. Further, if I don't like it, that's just tough shit for me. Freedom of expression is about words you don't like. So I would make no effort to stop them or punish them or shout them down.

I realize how those of us who think for ourselves leave people like you completely flummoxed, but I'm afraid there's not much I can do about that.

He did not say that you would. He said that you would point out that it was in poor taste.

I'm not afraid of discussing the issue that Kaerpernick raised. I've done so often here, and will do so many times in the future.

This is about what they and libs in general, have revealed about themselves with their support of the idea that disrespecting the flag, and the nation it stands for, is a valid method of expression.
That's exactly what I was talking about. This is not about the flag, this is not about the military, this is not about the anthem.

Oh but it is about the flag...and all sane people know this. There is another 23 hours and 55 minutes on Sunday...protests do not need to be held during the five minutes of a display of patriotism. ALL good Americans understand this in total clarity...If you canā€™t, you might be half American.
Smart protesters hoping to be effective should always consider the ā€œtime and placeā€ of a protest. The problem is; in this case the protest was spearheaded by ignorant, low iQ filth who forgot to consider the details.
Consider this....
What if good Americans were to protest welfare dependency and criminality on MLK Day and Cinco De Mayo ONLY. Would the TIMING be in poor taste? How well received and effective would said protest be amongst some ā€˜groupsā€™?
Iā€™ve noticed this question terrifies the shit out of Lefties...maybe with you being 3/4 Lefty youā€™ll be willing to tackle it?

I spent my entire adult life in the military (20 years). I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies, both foreign and domestic.

That means I support and defend what is contained in that document, and part of that is defending and supporting free speech and peaceful protest, both of which are contained in the Constitution. Every year, we would stand down for a couple of days (stop work for training), and go over our rights as military personnel in a class called Navy Rights and Responsibilities. One of the main subjects of discussion was what was and wasn't allowed for us under the 1st Amendment, because we had certain restrictions placed on us. One of them was you were not allowed to go to a political rally for a specific candidate in uniform, as it would be perceived by the civilian community as an endorsement from our service for that person. We went over it a lot.

With that being said, I'm glad that Kaepernick and all the other NFL players who choose to take a knee during the anthem feel secure enough in the rights that were fought for and defended by myself and my fellow military personnel to exercise them.

Weā€™ve done this befor bud...,NO military man I know EVER speaks like you do...NOT ONE.
As mudwhistle has said, you are suspect at best. I question the type of military man you were/are and I question if you are a military man at all. You just represent too small of a percentile to avoid being considered suspect.

You're actually suggesting that our military consists of jingoistic puppets who sheepishly fall in with mob mentality in spite of their own oath to the Constitution huh.

Says a lot about what you think of the military. As if they're your political football tool. Amusing.

No, he did not say that.

Seriously. Liberals should never, NEVER, restate what someone said. YOu guys are terrible at that.

If you think that some one you dislike just admitted to something like, admitting to being a " jingoistic puppet, sheep",

consider that you probably are getting it wrong.

Consider this....

I spent my entire adult life in the military (20 years). I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies, both foreign and domestic.

That means I support and defend what is contained in that document, and part of that is defending and supporting free speech and peaceful protest, both of which are contained in the Constitution. Every year, we would stand down for a couple of days (stop work for training), and go over our rights as military personnel in a class called Navy Rights and Responsibilities. One of the main subjects of discussion was what was and wasn't allowed for us under the 1st Amendment, because we had certain restrictions placed on us. One of them was you were not allowed to go to a political rally for a specific candidate in uniform, as it would be perceived by the civilian community as an endorsement from our service for that person. We went over it a lot.

With that being said, I'm glad that Kaepernick and all the other NFL players who choose to take a knee during the anthem feel secure enough in the rights that were fought for and defended by myself and my fellow military personnel to exercise them.

Weā€™ve done this befor bud...,NO military man I know EVER speaks like you do...NOT ONE.
As mudwhistle has said, you are suspect at best. I question the type of military man you were/are and I question if you are a military man at all. You just represent too small of a percentile to avoid being considered suspect.

You're actually suggesting that our military consists of jingoistic puppets who sheepishly fall in with mob mentality in spite of their own oath to the Constitution huh.

Says a lot about what you think of the military. As if they're your political football tool. Amusing.

Look, as simple as this shit is for REAL Americans, people like you wouldnā€™t understand. Itā€™s a long standing tradition for good, real, patriotic Americans to show respect during ANY flag ceremony and or national anthem. Good, legitimate Americans never even have to be reminded of this shit. This isnā€™t complicated, yet you, Mac1958 and all the other half-Americans struggle with it...FUCKING WEIRD!

AND, furthermore, the people in question did not just NOT stand, or fail to show respect,

they actively did the OPPOSITE, of what is done to show respect.

The opposite of respect, loyalty and Patriotism, is disrespect, disloyalty, and anti-Americanism.

Consider this....

Theyā€™d ā€œbitch and moanā€ youā€™re exactly right..and quess what; youā€™d be right there telling us how wrong we are for choosing to hold said protest on MLK Day and Cinco De Mayo. Right?
Well, no, unlike you wingers, I believe in freedom of expression for all. Further, if I don't like it, that's just tough shit for me. Freedom of expression is about words you don't like. So I would make no effort to stop them or punish them or shout them down.

I realize how those of us who think for ourselves leave people like you completely flummoxed, but I'm afraid there's not much I can do about that.

He did not say that you would. He said that you would point out that it was in poor taste.
No, he said I would tell them "how wrong" they were.

That's not a term I use. Too subjective and simplistic.

"Wrong". That's what he actually said.

Consider this....

If I wanted to protest "criminality", I would certainly not do it on MLK Day, because the obvious message of that timing would be that I was making it about race.

And perhaps you would be more nuanced than calling it "wrong", but the vast majority of people would not.

And they would be Right.

The timing, the method, the means of communication, ect, can overshadow the supposed, or intended message.

People know that.

It is silly of them to pretend they do not.

If I wanted to protest "criminality", I would certainly not do it on MLK Day, because the obvious message of that timing would be that I was making it about race.

And perhaps you would be more nuanced than calling it "wrong", but the vast majority of people would not.

And they would be Right.

The timing, the method, the means of communication, ect, can overshadow the supposed, or intended message.

People know that.

Of course. But we choose to react the way we choose to react.

Some us get emotional and angry, some of us don't see the point of getting emotional and angry.

The flag is not a fetish, it is a symbol. We patriots do not believe it has magical powers. Stop being silly.

Any fetish is a symbol. Investing it with 'magical power' makes it so by definition.

And of course you believe it "has magic powers" (I actually described it as being invested with the "sacred"). If this were not the case it would not be possible to "desecrate" it. You cannot "desecrate" something that is not already invested with the Sacred; that comes first.

You can go take a sledgehammer to a stop sign. You'll be guilty of vandalizing the state or local government's property but you will not be guilty of "desecration". It ain't rocket science. Add to this the dogged insistence of the jingoistic that said sacred object, i.e. the flag and/or the national anthem, "MUST" be genuflected in front of with certain body postures.

Whelp ---- that IS the domain of the Sacred. No different from a Catholic genuflecting in front of the tabernacle. And if that Catholic should turn and take an sledgehammer to that tabernacle, said Catholic would be considered guilty of desecration. It's exactly the same thing. And there you are --- State-sponsored religion. The flag ... the tabernacle ... the national anthem... all "sacred" objects, in other words fetishized.

But back to you now for confirmation of what I just laid down....

But a symbol can be disrespected. And that is what this controversy is actually about.

Et voilĆ . There it is: "disrespect".

You can't "disrespect" an inanimate object, unless you've animated it. When you took that sledgehammer to that stop sign you were destroying it but you weren't "disrespecting" it. It's just a piece of metal with paint on it; it is not invested with sacred power. It is not fetishized.

Whelp --- here you have invoked "disrespect" of the flag (or national anthem), which means you have anthropomorphized it and invested it with sacred power --- which means a measure of "honor" that must be "defended". In an inanimate object.

And here we are yet again.

Which is why you are desperately trying to pretend it is something else.

I'm just laying out what it really is. A prayer to Almighty State; i.e. the antithesis of what the Constitution stands for. I can only lead you to the water; you'll drink it when you're ready.

DO you think that patriotism is flourishing in our nation?

Do you think that it should?

No, and yes.

Clearly it isn't flourishing when an orange demagogue wipes his ass with our Constitution for his own gain, exhorting division and violence and mob mentality. Clearly it isn't flourishing when more than four "very fine people" can't bend over far enough for him. Clearly there are way too many anti-Americans whining about those who decline to participate in said mob mentality, and clearly far too few understand what the fuck the Constitution actually means.

ANy idea or movement can "descend" into fanaticism. This is not something that only happens with Patriotism.

BUT, your assumption that patriotism, ie "mob mentality" ALWAYS leads to such negative outcomes,

reveals what this is really about.

That's your equation, not mine. Yes I do hold that mob mentality always must lead to the negative, but I have never equated "patriotism" with "mob mentality" AT ALL. It's the very OPPOSITE.

Real, genuine patriotism isn't scripted. It isn't scheduled for 8:04. It does not require special uniforms or special body postures or special murmurations or special instructions on how to fold a fucking piece of cloth or, especially, robotic parrot hive behaviour. All of that is in no way "patriotism" --- it's patriotism theater. It's fake. Phony. Contrived.

Real, genuine patriotism is spontaneous, it's natural, it's personal, not a public theater exercise contrived to demonstrate to one another that "I... am... an .... obedient....robot.... like.... everyone .... else... " And quite obviously, such theater has no function at a sports event unless that event involves multiple nations e.g. the Olympics. And just as obviously it's a transparent manipulation of a literally captive audience, who came there for a purpose having nothing whatever to do with politics or patriotism, who are then coerced into that fake theater as a condition of getting to watch what they actually DID come for. And equally obviously that manipulation is inserted in there for the purpose of jingoism and fomenting exactly that sort of unthinking mob mentality.

And that ain't patriotism. That's bullshit and it's planting the seeds of Authoritarianism. It's how North Korea works.

Liberals are against Patriotism, and Nationalism.

And they are supporting this expression of anti-Americanism, because they share it.

They are UNIVERSALISTS.

Liberals wrote the Constitution. We like what it represents, and it doesn't represent fake theater. Whatever "universalist" is supposed to mean I have no idea. Liberalism is a political philosophy, not a religion.

You need to let go of the religious fetishism. Simple as that.

Last edited:

And they would be Right.

People know that.

Some us get emotional and angry, some of us don't see the point of getting emotional and angry.

Regardless of that, the point is that the timing would be the issue, not the supposedly intended statement about criminality.

And btw, I am not emotional or angry about the kneeling. I already knew that a large percentage of our population have been indoctrinated to be anti-American, so this was no shock or surprise to me.

I have gotten angry with the blatant lying that so many have done about it, to my virtual face, so to speak.

And they would be Right.

People know that.

Regardless of that, the point is that the timing would be the issue, not the supposedly intended statement about criminality.

And btw, I am not emotional or angry about the kneeling. I already knew that a large percentage of our population have been indoctrinated to be anti-American, so this was no shock or surprise to me.

I have gotten angry with the blatant lying that so many have done about it, to my virtual face, so to speak.
Well, it's all a matter of perception, I reckon.

Kaepernick kneeled for a very specific reason, and explained it clearly multiple times. He changed his behavior from sitting down to kneeling out of respect, and that was specifically because he LISTENED to the Green Beret.

"Listened." Foreign word nowadays.

As usual, this has instead been made into something it is not, and is just another example of how badly we are divided, and how far we have to go.

And they would be Right.

People know that.

Well, it's all a matter of perception, I reckon.

Kaepernick kneeled for a very specific reason, and explained it clearly multiple times. He changed his behavior from sitting down to kneeling out of respect, and that was specifically because he LISTENED to the Green Beret.

"Listened." Foreign word nowadays.

As usual, this has instead been made into something it is not, and is just another example of how badly we are divided, and how far we have to go.

I regret that I have but one "Winner" to affix to this post. Spot-on and well spake. :thup:

The flag is not a fetish, it is a symbol. We patriots do not believe it has magical powers. Stop being silly.

Any fetish is a symbol. Investing it with 'magical power' makes it so by definition.

But not all symbols are fetishes.

And of course you believe it "has magic powers" (I actually described it as being invested with the "sacred"). If this were not the case it would not be possible to "desecrate" it. You cannot "desecrate" something that is not already invested with the Sacred; that comes first.

You can go take a sledgehammer to a stop sign. You'll be guilty of vandalizing the state or local government's property but you will not be guilty of "desecration". It ain't rocket science. Add to this the dogged insistence of the jingoistic that said sacred object, i.e. the flag and/or the national anthem, "MUST" be genuflected in front of with certain body postures.

Whelp ---- that IS the domain of the Sacred. No different from a Catholic genuflecting in front of the tabernacle. And if that Catholic should turn and take an sledgehammer to that tabernacle, said Catholic would be considered guilty of desecration. It's exactly the same thing. And there you are --- State-sponsored religion. The flag ... the tabernacle ... the national anthem... all "sacred" objects, in other words fetishized.

But back to you now for confirmation of what I just laid down....

The stop sign is not a symbol of anything. YOur refusal to admit a difference between fetishes and symbols is dishonesty on your part.

But a symbol can be disrespected. And that is what this controversy is actually about.

Et voilĆ . There it is: "disrespect".

You can't "disrespect" an inanimate object, unless you've animated it. When you took that sledgehammer to that stop sign you were destroying it but you weren't "disrespecting" it. It's just a piece of metal with paint on it; it is not invested with sacred power. It is not fetishized.

Whelp --- here you have invoked "disrespect" of the flag (or national anthem), which means you have anthropomorphized it and invested it with sacred power --- which means a measure of "honor" that must be "defended". In an inanimate object.

And here we are yet again.

Sure you can. The symbol represents something and by disrespecting the symbol, you are disrespecting what the symbol represents.

Which is why you are desperately trying to pretend it is something else.

[/QUOTE]
I'm just laying out what it really is. A prayer to Almighty State; i.e. the antithesis of what the Constitution stands for. I can only lead you to the water; you'll drink it when you're ready.[/QUOTE]

NOpe. THe Flag represents the Nation as a whole and the citizens of that nation. Patriotism is about loyalty to the nation and to your fellow citizens.

It is an idea that unifies US.

DO you think that patriotism is flourishing in our nation?

Do you think that it should?

No, and yes.

Clearly it isn't flourishing when an orange demagogue wipes his ass with our Constitution for his own gain, exhorting division and violence and mob mentality. Clearly it isn't flourishing when more than four "very fine people" can't bend over far enough for him. Clearly there are way too many anti-Americans whining about those who decline to participate in said mob mentality, and clearly far too few understand what the fuck the Constitution actually means.

Your partisan bitterness and spin are noted as evidence of how divided our nation is.

I have similar partisan bitterness and spin.

Some regular unity rituals to remind US that we are fellow citizens, and affirm that we have our common goals in mind, might be very healthy for our society.

ANy idea or movement can "descend" into fanaticism. This is not something that only happens with Patriotism.

BUT, your assumption that patriotism, ie "mob mentality" ALWAYS leads to such negative outcomes,

reveals what this is really about.

That's your equation, not mine. Yes I do hold that mob mentality always must lead to the negative, but I have never equated "patriotism" with "mob mentality" AT ALL. It's the very OPPOSITE.

Real, genuine patriotism isn't scripted. It isn't scheduled for 8:04. It does not require special uniforms or special body postures or special murmurations or special instructions on how to fold a fucking piece of cloth or, especially, robotic parrot hive behaviour. All of that is in no way "patriotism" --- it's patriotism theater. It's fake. Phony. Contrived.

Real, genuine patriotism is spontaneous, it's natural, it's personal, not a public theater exercise contrived to demonstrate to one another that "I... am... an .... obedient....robot.... like.... everyone .... else... " And quite obviously, such theater has no function at a sports event unless that event involves multiple nations e.g. the Olympics. And just as obviously it's a transparent manipulation of a literally captive audience, who came there for a purpose having nothing whatever to do with politics or patriotism, who are then coerced into that fake theater as a condition of getting to watch what they actually DID come for. And equally obviously that manipulation is inserted in there for the purpose of jingoism and fomenting exactly that sort of unthinking mob mentality.

And that ain't patriotism. That's bullshit and it's planting the seeds of Authoritarianism. It's how North Korea works.

So, what is "real patriotism" in your opinion?

Liberals are against Patriotism, and Nationalism.

And they are supporting this expression of anti-Americanism, because they share it.

They are UNIVERSALISTS.

Liberals wrote the Constitution. We like what it represents, and it doesn't represent fake theater. Whatever "universalist" is supposed to mean I have no idea. Liberalism is a political philosophy, not a religion.

You need to let go of the religious fetishism. Simple as that.

The flag is a national and patriotic symbol. It is not a religious symbol.

I'm not sure why you refuse to discuss what I actually say, or mean.

Oh, wait, I do know. Because on some level, you know that I am right.

Do you consider yourself my fellow citizen?

The true symbol of what represents this country isn't the flag or the anthem.

It's the Constitution.

The American Flag is a symbol of the nation.

ANd the kneelers have disrespected it and the nation it stands for.

That is what the "controversy" is about.

Forum List

Back