A federal Judge Just Ruled Against Over 100 Houston Hospital Workers Who Will Be Fired If They Don't Get The COVID-19 Vaccine

They should be able to fire them if they want.
They will find another job. Hopefully a better one :thup:

It's just common sense to require hospital employees to be vaccinated.

Sorry that the unvaccinated are going to be fired, but they chose to work in one of those states where the politicians they supported fought very hard to pass and maintain these absurdly named "right-to-work" laws. They shouldn't go to the courts to complain. They should go to their state government.

Be careful what you wish for.

How is it that you know they supported the politicians that supported "right to work"? I didn't read that in the article.
"They" specifically? We have no idea.

"They" the people of Texas? They elected them.

No, not all Texans' did.
The majority.

That is how people get elected.
not if the repub party gets their way....

No one is noting that Texas is a "right to work" state. An employer can fire an employer for any reason they want to. Agree or disagree with the vaccine if you support "right to work" you have no legal standing to be against what the hospital is doing.

Seems to me that the employee's lose or the entire idea of "right to work" gets tossed.
Not accurate hun...you can't fire someone based on religion, sexual orientation, disability etc. The vaccine isn't a vaccine----but it may be against many religion and the vaccine has already been shown to make people sick and kill them. Even in texas, you can't require your employees to make themselves sick or kill themselves for a job.

The court ruled otherwise.
This judge who is reportedly one of the most overrule judges ever did.....he needs to be disbarred.

Oooooo. The down side of the Republican “right to work” laws. How you guys like it now?
Right to work laws are about forcing people to pay money to unions.

The vaccination doesn't cost anything
It reduced the power of the employee. Employers can pretty much make you do anything. That’s the rub. Less money and employees are a corporate bitch was the result.
Correct.

‘Right to work’ laws ensure that employees have a right to low wages, a right to poor working conditions, a right to no retirement, a right to no access to affordable healthcare, and a right to layoffs and job losses for any capricious, unwarranted reason or reasons.

‘Right to work’ laws are the epitome of conservatives’ contempt for working Americans.
Funny how all kinds of non union shops provide all those things without employees being forced to pay union dues.
Seriously though, right to work states average salary is $6,000 below the remaining states. I can link it if you want but I read it a few days ago. There is an impact to the power imbalance. I bet with work from home gaining speed employees may get a little more power. I could be wrong.
People who work from home are not as productive so IMO people who work from home should be paid less not more
Well. Clearly you wouldn’t know. Productivity is up with work from home. Employers who employ work from home flexibility will get the best employees because geography is obsolete. Competition for employees drives up wages. If I can do my job anywhere in America I’m more likely to leave for more. Barrier to entry is eliminated.
Bull.

People left to their own devices just don't work as hard as when the boss is there.
Geez. What year is it where you are? Productivity for companies that matter doesn’t need an eye. I know how much work my team outputs based on their actual output. I don’t care if they did it 5-2 or 8-5 or 8-8.

Tell that to a person who is waiting for their house to be built.

When the GC isn't on site the crew just doesn't work as hard.
Work from home doesn’t affect house building. Just admit you aren’t familiar with the type of work people are doing from home vs the office. It’s ok to not know everything. Trust me. I can monitor output no matter where my team works from.
Yeah whatever.

People are people and human nature is human nature.

Most people will slack off whenever they get the chance
Then I will fire you.
try it.

I've never worked for anyone but myself since i was 18 and I'm retired at age 51 because I never slacked off

the health and welfare of the community as a whole will take precedent over people who feel they are being singled out. You don't like it....find another job.

x
However Texas is a "right to work" state so an employer can fire someone for just about any reason in that state leaving the employee with nearly no recourse.

The judge ruled against the employees. I knew the judge would. I do agree with the judge on how absurd it is to compare the vaccine mandate by the employer to the holocaust and the experiments on innocent jewish people. Using that comparison is ridiculous.

They plan to appeal so it's not over.

I support the employee's right to not have the vaccine.

Blind squirrel finds the acorn....Film at 11.
But conservatives are great advocates of private property and employers’ rights – if employees don’t like an employer’s policies, they can find work elsewhere. That’s why conservatives support ‘right to work’ laws.

Such is the right’s hypocrisy.

Precisely. This was a win win for both parties. The employees continue to keep their right not to be vaccinated, and the employee retains his right to fire them. Right wing conservatives support this action, so where is the problem?

Oooooo. The down side of the Republican “right to work” laws. How you guys like it now?

It reduced the power of the employee. Employers can pretty much make you do anything. That’s the rub. Less money and employees are a corporate bitch was the result.
Correct.

‘Right to work’ laws ensure that employees have a right to low wages, a right to poor working conditions, a right to no retirement, a right to no access to affordable healthcare, and a right to layoffs and job losses for any capricious, unwarranted reason or reasons.

‘Right to work’ laws are the epitome of conservatives’ contempt for working Americans.
Funny how all kinds of non union shops provide all those things without employees being forced to pay union dues.
Seriously though, right to work states average salary is $6,000 below the remaining states. I can link it if you want but I read it a few days ago. There is an impact to the power imbalance. I bet with work from home gaining speed employees may get a little more power. I could be wrong.
People who work from home are not as productive so IMO people who work from home should be paid less not more
Well. Clearly you wouldn’t know. Productivity is up with work from home. Employers who employ work from home flexibility will get the best employees because geography is obsolete. Competition for employees drives up wages. If I can do my job anywhere in America I’m more likely to leave for more. Barrier to entry is eliminated.
Bull.

People left to their own devices just don't work as hard as when the boss is there.
Geez. What year is it where you are? Productivity for companies that matter doesn’t need an eye. I know how much work my team outputs based on their actual output. I don’t care if they did it 5-2 or 8-5 or 8-8.

Work from home doesn’t affect house building. Just admit you aren’t familiar with the type of work people are doing from home vs the office. It’s ok to not know everything. Trust me. I can monitor output no matter where my team works from.
Yeah whatever.

Then I will fire you.
try it.

I've never worked for anyone but myself since i was 18 and I'm retired at age 51 because I never slacked off
Your circular logic is dizzying. You are the one that just claimed people don’t work hard unless their boss is watching. Then you state you never had a boss and were successful cuz you worked hard while not ever being watched. I. Can’t. Even.

The original argument between us that you don’t think people are as productive from home. I’m leading an organization of 300 people who are productive from home. You are a retired guy who worked on site. Who has a better idea about this? Trust me. It’s easy to measure output.

Correct.

Bull.

Yeah whatever.

Then I will fire you.
try it.

Your circular logic is dizzying. You are the one that just claimed people don’t work hard unless their boss is watching. Then you state you never had a boss and were successful cuz you worked hard while not ever being watched. I. Can’t. Even.

The original argument between us that you don’t think people are as productive from home. I’m leading an organization of 300 people who are productive from home. You are a retired guy who worked on site. Who has a better idea about this? Trust me. It’s easy to measure output.

I didn't work for other people.

People who work for other people don't have the same stake in the business as the person who owns the business. Most people do just enough so as not to get fired.

Correct.

It's a horrible idea to make such a blanket statement.

My job has always been mostly from home. I'm a photographer. The only part of my job that I don't do from home is taking the photos.

Otherwise I'm working through the night to edit, caption and transit photos.

I'm just as productive as anyone who goes into an office, maybe even more productive.

I get on the job site around 10 am. Then work on site through the day until around 2am the next morning. Then I go home or to a hotel room to process all those thousands of photos. It takes hours and I'm usually working until at least 6:30 in the morning. Then go to bed. Then wake up to be back on the job site again at 10 am.

I don't know what other people do when they work at home but your statement doesn't apply to me and people who do the job I do.

I noticed you didn't put up any link to support your claims.

Correct.

My job has always been mostly from home. I'm a photographer. The only part of my job that I don't do from home is taking the photos.

I'm just as productive as anyone who goes into an office, maybe even more productive.

I get on the job site around 10 am. Then work on site through the day until around 2am the next morning. Then I go home or to a hotel room to process all those thousands of photos. It takes hours and I'm usually working until at least 6:30 in the morning. Then go to bed. Then wake up to be back on the job site again at 10 am.

I don't know what other people do when they work at home but your statement doesn't apply to me and people who do the job I do.

Do you work for someone else?

Or do you work for yourself?

I am speaking of employees who work for someone else.

Correct.

Bull.

Oh that's so not true.

I never work on site with my editors. They are in Los Angeles and New York City. I'm in Washington state.

You don't know anything about workers.

Your attitude is that of a task master who believes that all workers are lazy bums.

Not all workers are lazy. Especially those of us who love our jobs.

I do the work of 2 people.

When I had to stop working, my employer had to hire two people to do the job I did alone.

I worked so much that I hardly ever saw my family or friends. All I did was work.

Clients specifically requested me for most jobs because I'm such a good worker and do such a good job.

One person from Vogue Magazine wanted me to do a job for her but I was already committed to a different job that day. She hounded me for weeks to do the job and refused to take no for an answer. She finally just called my editor to get him to put someone on the job I originally accepted so that I could do the job for her. When I had to stop working, she stopped her yearly fall fashion show because she lost her photographer, ME.

You don't know what you're talking about and your attitude is one from hundreds of years ago.

You may not like your job. You may not be productive if left on your own to work, you may be a horrible employee but stop projecting your own behavior on everyone else.

Not everyone is a lazy person like you are.

Correct.

I'm a photographer for Getty Images.

I work for Getty Images and I work for myself.

I have editors in Los Angeles and NY City.

I have up to 24 hours to process and transmit photos. When you're dealing with thousands of photos, it takes many hours.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Correct.

Bull.

Oh that's so not true.

I never work on site with my editors. They are in Los Angeles and New York City. I'm in Washington state.

You don't know anything about workers.

Your attitude is that of a task master who believes that all workers are lazy bums.

Not all workers are lazy. Especially those of us who love our jobs.

I do the work of 2 people.

When I had to stop working, my employer had to hire two people to do the job I did alone.

I worked so much that I hardly ever saw my family or friends. All I did was work.

Clients specifically requested me for most jobs because I'm such a good worker and do such a good job.

One person from Vogue Magazine wanted me to do a job for her but I was already committed to a different job that day. She hounded me for weeks to do the job and refused to take no for an answer. She finally just called my editor to get him to put someone on the job I originally accepted so that I could do the job for her. When I had to stop working, she stopped her yearly fall fashion show because she lost her photographer, ME.

You don't know what you're talking about and your attitude is one from hundreds of years ago.

You may not like your job. You may not be productive if left on your own to work, you may be a horrible employee but stop projecting your own behavior on everyone else.

Not everyone is a lazy person like you are.
I've had plenty of employees.

And FYI I have worked for myself since I was 18.

In fact I was a a complete workaholic for 25 years and I never had any employee work as hard when I wasn't around as they did when I was around.

Correct.

I have up to 24 hours to process and transmit photos. When you're dealing with thousands of photos, it takes many hours.

My experience with employees tells me otherwise.

Correct.

I had employees too. Other than damage to my equipment those employees worked just as hard as I do.

You need to learn how to hire workers if you're hiring people who don't work.

Have you ever considered it's YOU who has been hiring the wrong people?

Maybe if you hired the right people who actually cared about the job you would have different results.

Seems you don't know how to motivate your employees. From what I've read of your posts, I'm not surprised. Your attitude about workers is terrible. No one would want to work with someone with your attitude.

Your employees are just an extension of you and your work habits. You have hired people like you. So you have lazy workers. Just like you.

Correct.

I had employees too. Other than damage to my equipment those employees worked just as hard as I do.

You need to learn how to hire workers if you're hiring people who don't work.

Have you ever considered it's YOU who has been hiring the wrong people?

Maybe if you hired the right people who actually cared about the job you would have different results.

Seems you don't know how to motivate your employees. From what I've read of your posts, I'm not surprised. Your attitude about workers is terrible. No one would want to work with someone with your attitude.

Your employees are just an extension of you and your work habits. You have hired people like you. So you have lazy workers. Just like you.
I don't need to hire any more people.

I retired last year at age 51.

And FYI I worked 7 days a week for over 25 years. I was what some people would call driven and I will admit I was tough to work for because I was so driven. No one I hired wanted to work like I did.

No one is noting that Texas is a "right to work" state. An employer can fire an employer for any reason they want to. Agree or disagree with the vaccine if you support "right to work" you have no legal standing to be against what the hospital is doing.

Seems to me that the employee's lose or the entire idea of "right to work" gets tossed.
Not accurate hun...you can't fire someone based on religion, sexual orientation, disability etc. The vaccine isn't a vaccine----but it may be against many religion and the vaccine has already been shown to make people sick and kill them. Even in texas, you can't require your employees to make themselves sick or kill themselves for a job.

This judge who is reportedly one of the most overrule judges ever did.....he needs to be disbarred.

Worthless statement. I don't think you even know what you are arguing. Reportedly? By who? You dislike that he upheld "right to work" laws?

i suppose you realize this can be used as precedence now

~S~

Forum List

Back