A dire warning from the bench.

berg80

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2017
Federal Judge Warns Of A Jan. 6 Repeat In The 2024 Election

A federal judge in Washington, D.C., warned Thursday that Donald Trump could provoke a Jan. 6-style attack with another call to arms in response to the 2024 election.

U.S. District Judge Rudy Contreras made his comments from the bench during the sentencing of a Jan. 6 rioter. Noting that Trump and his allies had “spurred” the attack, the judge expressed concern that the defendant before him would respond to a similar “call” in the future.

“It doesn’t take much imagination to imagine a similar call coming out in the coming months,” Contreras said.

This is, by my count, at least the third federal judge sitting in DC who has publicly warned of the threat we still face right now – not just the retrospective assigning of blame for what happened in the 2020 election, but actively and frantically sending out alerts that we may face more political violence ahead.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/morni...-warns-of-a-jan-6-repeat-in-the-2024-election

I think it's a mistake to think of a threat in terms of a repeat of the 1/6 riot Trump inspired. I'm sure Mike Johnson will have the Capital Police prepared this time (just kidding on two counts).

The more salient point is Trump maintains control over potentially violent followers who he has proven willing to unleash on any governmental body he sees fit. If not with actual violence, which have been less frequent, then with threats of it.

The reflexive reaction of Trump's defenders no doubt displaying, without realizing it, how the violence associated with Trumpery has been normalized.

lol more bedwetting rubbish from the Party of racist hate crimes, looters, arsonists, pedophile rights advocates,, and kiddie mutilators. Mere mass Infanticides is just never enough for these freaks.

The Judicial System Is Failing Democracy​

In retrospect, I came into the Trump era with way too much confidence that the legal system was up to the task. The last eight years have been humbling in that regard.

As a lawyer-turned-editor, I cautioned my reporting team not to be impatient with the pace and deliberation of legal processes. These things take time. Don’t be hot-headed about it. Chill out. Let things run their course.

The sometimes plodding pace of the system is by design, more a feature than a bug. There’s an entire vernacular around the downsides of too-swift justice: “rough justice,” “lynch mob,” “show trial,” “railroaded.” The list is long.

In the early days of the Trump presidency, efforts to obtain his tax returns or enforce the Emoluments Clause were slow, clumsy, and sometimes reluctantly undertaken by Democrats in Congress. I was inclined to excuse that slowness. But as the threat mounted and become more obvious and the reaction to it failed to rise to the challenge, my own sense of urgency began to change.

When the travesties of the Trump presidency accumulated and potential accountability shifted from the political to legal realms, especially after the Jan. 6 attack, I feared that the legal system was more inclined to sweep it all under the rug than confront it. A lot of our coverage was focused on framing the Jan. 6 attack as merely the culmination of a broad, months-long conspiracy to subvert the election. While the attack on the Capitol did historic damage and finally started to stir law enforcement into action, over-focusing on the physical attack would miss the myriad other ways the election had been subverted using the powers of the executive branch.

It is debatable as to whether the judicial system is up to the task in dealing with the many ways Trump has exploited its vulnerabilities.

In retrospect, I came into the Trump era with way too much confidence that the legal system was up to the task. The last eight years have been humbling in that regard.

As a lawyer-turned-editor, I cautioned my reporting team not to be impatient with the pace and deliberation of legal processes. These things take time. Don’t be hot-headed about it. Chill out. Let things run their course.

The sometimes plodding pace of the system is by design, more a feature than a bug. There’s an entire vernacular around the downsides of too-swift justice: “rough justice,” “lynch mob,” “show trial,” “railroaded.” The list is long.

In the early days of the Trump presidency, efforts to obtain his tax returns or enforce the Emoluments Clause were slow, clumsy, and sometimes reluctantly undertaken by Democrats in Congress. I was inclined to excuse that slowness. But as the threat mounted and become more obvious and the reaction to it failed to rise to the challenge, my own sense of urgency began to change.

When the travesties of the Trump presidency accumulated and potential accountability shifted from the political to legal realms, especially after the Jan. 6 attack, I feared that the legal system was more inclined to sweep it all under the rug than confront it. A lot of our coverage was focused on framing the Jan. 6 attack as merely the culmination of a broad, months-long conspiracy to subvert the election. While the attack on the Capitol did historic damage and finally started to stir law enforcement into action, over-focusing on the physical attack would miss the myriad other ways the election had been subverted using the powers of the executive branch.

It is debatable as to whether the judicial system is up to the task in dealing with the many ways Trump has exploited its vulnerabilities.

No need to worry in your banana republic; just make sure the 'judges' are all Party hacks and deviants.

A federal judge in Washington, D.C., warned Thursday that Donald Trump could provoke a Jan. 6-style attack with another call to arms in response to the 2024 election.

U.S. District Judge Rudy Contreras made his comments from the bench during the sentencing of a Jan. 6 rioter. Noting that Trump and his allies had “spurred” the attack, the judge expressed concern that the defendant before him would respond to a similar “call” in the future.

“It doesn’t take much imagination to imagine a similar call coming out in the coming months,” Contreras said.

This is, by my count, at least the third federal judge sitting in DC who has publicly warned of the threat we still face right now – not just the retrospective assigning of blame for what happened in the 2020 election, but actively and frantically sending out alerts that we may face more political violence ahead.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/morni...-warns-of-a-jan-6-repeat-in-the-2024-election

I think it's a mistake to think of a threat in terms of a repeat of the 1/6 riot Trump inspired. I'm sure Mike Johnson will have the Capital Police prepared this time (just kidding on two counts).

The more salient point is Trump maintains control over potentially violent followers who he has proven willing to unleash on any governmental body he sees fit. If not with actual violence, which have been less frequent, then with threats of it.

The reflexive reaction of Trump's defenders no doubt displaying, without realizing it, how the violence associated with Trumpery has been normalized.
I'd say there's a far greater chance of another "Summer of love" where liberals actually did what conservatives were falsely accused of on J6. MAGA

I'd say there's a far greater chance of another "Summer of love" where liberals actually did what conservatives were falsely accused of on J6. MAGA
I would encourage you to do some research on the violence resulting from the Floyd protests. That way perhaps you'd stop making specious analogies between them and the 1/6 riot.

One reason to reject him.

Exactly.

Trump is perfectly capable of again inciting more treasonous violence from his lawless supporters.

what election interference actually looks like!!! this is worse than jan 6. People decide elections in democracy, not TDS inventions.

lol more bedwetting rubbish from the Party of racist hate crimes, looters, arsonists, pedophile rights advocates,, and kiddie mutilators. Mere mass Infanticides is just never enough for these freaks.
Wrong.

Trump incited treasonous lawless and violence when he lost in 2020; he’s perfectly capable of doing it again in 2024.

Forum List

Back