A dire warning from the bench.

Also wrong.

It’s perfectly appropriate and warranted to be prepared for violence as incited by Trump – he’s done it before.

Trump is a criminal who uses violent rhetoric; Trump’s supporters have demonstrated their propensity for lawlessness and violence.
One wonders how many hundreds of death threats Chutkan and Smith will get during the trial.........unless Trump prevents it from ever happening.

Also wrong.

It’s perfectly appropriate and warranted to be prepared for violence as incited by Trump – he’s done it before.

Trump is a criminal who uses violent rhetoric; Trump’s supporters have demonstrated their propensity for lawlessness and violence.
accept no criminal charges for anything. odd shit to use this language, it makes you small.

One wonders how many hundreds of death threats Chutkan and Smith will get during the trial.........unless Trump prevents it from ever happening.
wow dude, you must shit TDS

Now our courts are engaging in fear mongering?

Well, I guess you have to set the narrative, and judges are now becoming activists.
couldn't you imagine this guy being impartial for any trump supporter? He ought to be disbarred. NOW!

Federal Judge Warns Of A Jan. 6 Repeat In The 2024 Election

A federal judge in Washington, D.C., warned Thursday that Donald Trump could provoke a Jan. 6-style attack with another call to arms in response to the 2024 election.

U.S. District Judge Rudy Contreras made his comments from the bench during the sentencing of a Jan. 6 rioter. Noting that Trump and his allies had “spurred” the attack, the judge expressed concern that the defendant before him would respond to a similar “call” in the future.

“It doesn’t take much imagination to imagine a similar call coming out in the coming months,” Contreras said.

This is, by my count, at least the third federal judge sitting in DC who has publicly warned of the threat we still face right now – not just the retrospective assigning of blame for what happened in the 2020 election, but actively and frantically sending out alerts that we may face more political violence ahead.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/morni...-warns-of-a-jan-6-repeat-in-the-2024-election

I think it's a mistake to think of a threat in terms of a repeat of the 1/6 riot Trump inspired. I'm sure Mike Johnson will have the Capital Police prepared this time (just kidding on two counts).

The more salient point is Trump maintains control over potentially violent followers who he has proven willing to unleash on any governmental body he sees fit. If not with actual violence, which have been less frequent, then with threats of it.

The reflexive reaction of Trump's defenders no doubt displaying, without realizing it, how the violence associated with Trumpery has been normalized.

OK, dems will be ready this time...maybe.

karma mccarthy.jpg

do you have a fking life? hilarious the shit you post

ITS Very important that we get back to viewing the election process as fair & Honest.
We know that some people think Winning is more important than having trust and faith in our election process.
We can never let those who cheat win.

A federal judge in Washington, D.C., warned Thursday that Donald Trump could provoke a Jan. 6-style attack with another call to arms in response to the 2024 election.

U.S. District Judge Rudy Contreras made his comments from the bench during the sentencing of a Jan. 6 rioter. Noting that Trump and his allies had “spurred” the attack, the judge expressed concern that the defendant before him would respond to a similar “call” in the future.

“It doesn’t take much imagination to imagine a similar call coming out in the coming months,” Contreras said.

This is, by my count, at least the third federal judge sitting in DC who has publicly warned of the threat we still face right now – not just the retrospective assigning of blame for what happened in the 2020 election, but actively and frantically sending out alerts that we may face more political violence ahead.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/morni...-warns-of-a-jan-6-repeat-in-the-2024-election

I think it's a mistake to think of a threat in terms of a repeat of the 1/6 riot Trump inspired. I'm sure Mike Johnson will have the Capital Police prepared this time (just kidding on two counts).

The more salient point is Trump maintains control over potentially violent followers who he has proven willing to unleash on any governmental body he sees fit. If not with actual violence, which have been less frequent, then with threats of it.

The reflexive reaction of Trump's defenders no doubt displaying, without realizing it, how the violence associated with Trumpery has been normalized.
he just stated out loud he is no longer an impartial juror. He needs to be impeached and disbarred.

So are you saying the demofks are going to cheat again?

ITS Very important that we get back to viewing the election process as fair & Honest.
We know that some people think Winning is more important than having trust and faith in our election process.
We can never let those who cheat win.
so fear mongering is not being fair, so this judge is out of the box threatening people who vote for trump!!! He just said it. That is the highest level of cheating known to man.

If this country ever experienced a true insurrection, I think that most of you con artists who promote this brand of pablum would likely soil your britches, hide under your beds and suck on your thumbs.

Need a lawyer to go after this judge as inciting a threat against american voters.

Floyd was not the same as J6
The better comparison is the autonomous zones movement that was an explicit insurrection against all levels of the US government. How else to describe a movement that seized land under the control of multiple governments and unilaterally declared them free of government control? It still is a mystery why the governments allowed them to persist as long as they did (oh, who am I kidding, you can get away with virtually anything if you're doing it for the "right" reasons and the bureaucrats agree with what you say you're doing).

If this country ever experienced a true insurrection, I think that most of you con artists who promote this brand of pablum would likely soil your britches, hide under your beds and suck on your thumbs.
This country was founded on an insurrection that enjoyed possibly the support of 1/3 of the people. It behooves us to remember that an insurrection can succeed without majority support, if that majority has no arms to resist the battle.

The Judicial System Is Failing Democracy​

In retrospect, I came into the Trump era with way too much confidence that the legal system was up to the task. The last eight years have been humbling in that regard.

As a lawyer-turned-editor, I cautioned my reporting team not to be impatient with the pace and deliberation of legal processes. These things take time. Don’t be hot-headed about it. Chill out. Let things run their course.

The sometimes plodding pace of the system is by design, more a feature than a bug. There’s an entire vernacular around the downsides of too-swift justice: “rough justice,” “lynch mob,” “show trial,” “railroaded.” The list is long.

In the early days of the Trump presidency, efforts to obtain his tax returns or enforce the Emoluments Clause were slow, clumsy, and sometimes reluctantly undertaken by Democrats in Congress. I was inclined to excuse that slowness. But as the threat mounted and become more obvious and the reaction to it failed to rise to the challenge, my own sense of urgency began to change.

When the travesties of the Trump presidency accumulated and potential accountability shifted from the political to legal realms, especially after the Jan. 6 attack, I feared that the legal system was more inclined to sweep it all under the rug than confront it. A lot of our coverage was focused on framing the Jan. 6 attack as merely the culmination of a broad, months-long conspiracy to subvert the election. While the attack on the Capitol did historic damage and finally started to stir law enforcement into action, over-focusing on the physical attack would miss the myriad other ways the election had been subverted using the powers of the executive branch.

It is debatable as to whether the judicial system is up to the task in dealing with the many ways Trump has exploited its vulnerabilities.

The current failure of the judicial system has two roots:

1. The GOP, while accusing the Dems of the same, managed to put many, many right-wing activist federal judges on the bench. Given the appeals process, it usually only a matter of time until any case reaches an incredibly biased right-wing activist federal judge.

2. The legal system has always been incredibly biased in favor of the wealthy. Throughout its history the vast majority of the people who are in positions of power in the justice system are from wealthy families. Few people (until recently) could afford to go to college at all. Even fewer could afford law school. The result is a justice system that's set up so that if a person is wealthy enough they will get the result they want. Meanwhile poor people are always screwed.

Trump should have been put in prison long, long ago, but his incredible wealth has allowed him to play the justice system every time and get the result he wanted. Now, that he has both activist judges and incredible wealth, he's close to unstoppable (keep your fingers crossed).

Either way, the firewall, which we thought the justice system would provide is clearly falling apart - starting with SCOTUS.

The violent political threats public officials are facing amid Trump’s legal woes​

Welcome to reality.
I watch your TDS and media's daily. You all are fking insane!!!! you are the largest threat to this country with your fear mongering tactics.

I would encourage you to do some research on the violence resulting from the Floyd protests. That way perhaps you'd stop making specious analogies between them and the 1/6 riot.
Yes summer of love people died, businesses were destroyed, goverment buildings destroyed. The only thing good about it is, Rittenhouse took out a pedophile.

The current failure of the judicial system has two roots:

1. The GOP, while accusing the Dems of the same, managed to put many, many right-wing activist federal judges on the bench. Given the appeals process, it usually only a matter of time until any case reaches an incredibly biased right-wing activist federal judge.

2. The legal system has always been incredibly biased in favor of the wealthy. Throughout its history the vast majority of the people who are in positions of power in the justice system are from wealthy families. Few people (until recently) could afford to go to college at all. Even fewer could afford law school. The result is a justice system that's set up so that if a person is wealthy enough they will get the result they want. Meanwhile poor people are always screwed.

Trump should have been put in prison long, long ago, but his incredible wealth has allowed him to play the justice system every time and get the result he wanted. Now, that he has both activist judges and incredible wealth, he's close to unstoppable (keep your fingers crossed).

Either way, the firewall, which we thought the justice system would provide is clearly falling apart - starting with SCOTUS.
Part of the problem is the legal system, in its design, did not anticipate someone as fundamentally corrupt as Trump with respect to his ability to probe for weaknesses. Neither did the federal government.

As the U.S. begins to see the light at the end of the Trumpian tunnel, it is time to begin thinking about the issue of repair. One should not assume the result of the election, but it is nonetheless worth asking the question: What should be done in a post-Trump world to restore the rule of law?

Of Trump’s many excesses, his assault on legal norms has to rank high in terms of damage to fundamental values that form the fabric of America. His attacks on the free press, the independent judiciary and the independence of the Department of Justice have all created significant damage. His abuse of executive discretionary authority has made a mockery of the concept of checks and balances. His gaming of the judicial system has revealed weaknesses in our legal process. His attempts to place himself (and his family and his business interests) above the law have called into question foundational national conceptions of equal justice. In short, President Trump has led a wrecking crew (aided and abetted by William Barr and Mitch McConnell) that has severely damaged American legal norms of behavior.

Trump’s attacks on foundational norms and principles leave policymakers with two choices. Lawmakers and voters can accept that damage and admit the inevitability of American decline, or they can fight to restore and strengthen the country’s legal guardrails. This post is an effort to begin that fight—to identify practical steps that the country can take to reinvigorate the rule of law and the concept of checks and balances.

Forum List

Back