9 Reasons Why Sanjay Gupta Changed His Mind About Marijuana

Moonglow

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2011
sw mizzouri
As I have always known, the doc finally gets it...

Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN's chief medical correspondent, says he was wrong to ignore marijuana's medical potential when he wrote an opinion piece in 2009 called "Why I would Vote No on Pot."

Gupta filmed a documentary that aired on CNN on Sunday, August 11, and earlier this week wrote an editorial on CNN.com in which he admitted that the research for the movie changed his mind about the drug and its medicinal effects.

Gupta notes that marijuana doesn't have a "high potential for abuse" and it doesn't lead people to use other drugs. "We now know that while estimates vary, marijuana leads to dependence in around 9 to 10% of its adult users." Cocaine, classified as a (less addictive) schedule 2 substance, hooks 20% of those who use it. Around 25% of heroin users and 30% of tobacco users become addicted.
In some medical cases, marijuana is "the only thing that works." Gupta met with one woman in Colorado who used marijuana to cut the number of seizures she had from 300-per-week to two or three per month.
It's safer than a lot of prescription drugs: Someone dies from a prescription drug overdose every 19 minutes in the United States, but Gupta could not find a single person who died from a marijuana overdose.
Other doctors believe in it: Seventy-six percent of physicians surveyed would prescribe marijuana to ease the pain of women suffering from breast cancer.
While quitting marijuana can produce some withdrawal symptoms, like insomnia, anxiety and nausea, it is still nowhere near as bad at drugs like heroin or cocaine, or even booze. "I have seen the withdrawal from alcohol, and it can be life threatening," Gupta said. Not so with marijuana.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/9-reasons-sanjay-gupta-changed-170000967.html

Lethal strain of pot kills...

Man-Made Pot Leads to Death and State of Emergency
August 22, 2014 — Connor Eckhardt reportedly inhaled one hit of a marijuana alternative called Spice and fell into a coma. The 19-year-old was declared brain dead after four days on life support. Although tests at the hospital did not detect Spice in his young blood stream, Eckhardt still had a packet in his pocket.
"People are coming up with new synthetic drugs almost daily and young people think it's safer or that they can get away with it but synthetic marijuana is more potent than marijuana with a similar high and side effects that are much worse," said Dr. Damon Raskin, medical director with Cliffside Malibu, an addiction treatment facility in California.

Synthetic cannabinoids, created by human beings in a laboratory, are substances with chemical properties similar to Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is the mind altering ingredient that grows naturally in a marijuana plant. The chemicals are sprayed on leaves or potpourri and when smoked or boiled into a tea the combination mimics the effects of marijuana.

"There are 5 different compounds that can be found in it but we don't know exactly what they are," Raskin told MainStreet. "Synthetic marijuana is dangerous because the chemicals are 100% more potent than just plain old THC. We are seeing more emergency room visits from teens who have high blood pressure, hallucinations, seizures and heart attacks related to the use of Spice."

Since mid-August some 44 people have reportedly overdosed on the substance with 20 hospitalized in Manchester, New Hampshire alone.

MORE

See also:

Synthetic Marijuana Hits Nevada
April 13, 2010 - The Las Vegas Sun is running a fascinating story about an entrepreneur who has opened a shop that sells an incredibly potent, and perfectly legal, form of synthetic marijuana.
Chemicals called JWH-073 and JWH-018 are infused into dried, smokable herbs that are marketed as Spice, Puff, Black Mamba or a number of other predictably psychedelic monikers. The Sun profiled Steve Vogt who sells the stuff out of a shop he’s named Weedz, and they’ve also tracked down the inventor of the chemical, John W. Huffman, a professor at Clemson University. Huffman, 77, invented it in the mid-90s and is by no means an advocate of the drug’s recreational use. “It’s dangerous,” Huffman tells The Sun. “I mean, you have no idea what the long-term effects of this stuff are.”

The short-term effects, on the other hand, are pretty clear. The Sun quotes one of Vogt’s customers who left the following note: “Wow ... I was inside the matrix of hell for like 4 hrs. I have never been that high in my whole (expletive) life. It took me like six hrs. to find my hotel. I didn’t know my own (expletive) name.” They also mention a girl who was high for an entire week after using it.

The drug has already been banned in some states, and who knows how this new press coverage will affect Nevada’s marijuana legalization movement, which has been gaining momentum. For some, the synthetic pot could reinforce the need to legalize traditional marijuana, since it’s not as potent and has been studied extensively. Much of the drive for pot legalization initiatives across America may also fueled by projected tax revenues. California, for example, estimates that it would generate $1.4 billion annually if pot were legalized.

More Synthetic Marijuana Hits Nevada - MainStreet

August 22, 2014 — Connor Eckhardt reportedly inhaled one hit of a marijuana alternative called Spice and fell into a coma. The 19-year-old was declared brain dead after four days on life support. Although tests at the hospital did not detect Spice in his young blood stream, Eckhardt still had a packet in his pocket.
"People are coming up with new synthetic drugs almost daily and young people think it's safer or that they can get away with it but synthetic marijuana is more potent than marijuana with a similar high and side effects that are much worse," said Dr. Damon Raskin, medical director with Cliffside Malibu, an addiction treatment facility in California.

Synthetic cannabinoids, created by human beings in a laboratory, are substances with chemical properties similar to Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is the mind altering ingredient that grows naturally in a marijuana plant. The chemicals are sprayed on leaves or potpourri and when smoked or boiled into a tea the combination mimics the effects of marijuana.

"There are 5 different compounds that can be found in it but we don't know exactly what they are," Raskin told MainStreet. "Synthetic marijuana is dangerous because the chemicals are 100% more potent than just plain old THC. We are seeing more emergency room visits from teens who have high blood pressure, hallucinations, seizures and heart attacks related to the use of Spice."

Since mid-August some 44 people have reportedly overdosed on the substance with 20 hospitalized in Manchester, New Hampshire alone.

MORE

See also:

April 13, 2010 - The Las Vegas Sun is running a fascinating story about an entrepreneur who has opened a shop that sells an incredibly potent, and perfectly legal, form of synthetic marijuana.
Chemicals called JWH-073 and JWH-018 are infused into dried, smokable herbs that are marketed as Spice, Puff, Black Mamba or a number of other predictably psychedelic monikers. The Sun profiled Steve Vogt who sells the stuff out of a shop he’s named Weedz, and they’ve also tracked down the inventor of the chemical, John W. Huffman, a professor at Clemson University. Huffman, 77, invented it in the mid-90s and is by no means an advocate of the drug’s recreational use. “It’s dangerous,” Huffman tells The Sun. “I mean, you have no idea what the long-term effects of this stuff are.”

The short-term effects, on the other hand, are pretty clear. The Sun quotes one of Vogt’s customers who left the following note: “Wow ... I was inside the matrix of hell for like 4 hrs. I have never been that high in my whole (expletive) life. It took me like six hrs. to find my hotel. I didn’t know my own (expletive) name.” They also mention a girl who was high for an entire week after using it.

The drug has already been banned in some states, and who knows how this new press coverage will affect Nevada’s marijuana legalization movement, which has been gaining momentum. For some, the synthetic pot could reinforce the need to legalize traditional marijuana, since it’s not as potent and has been studied extensively. Much of the drive for pot legalization initiatives across America may also fueled by projected tax revenues. California, for example, estimates that it would generate $1.4 billion annually if pot were legalized.

Well, that's not weed, though, is it? Your article is about an artificial substance that is sold legally because marijuana is illegal.

MORE

See also:

This thread is about cannabis, which grows naturally from the earth-not K2.
Your post is completely and irrevocably pointless.
Take your rants about K2 elsewhere please.

Last edited:
You must be feeling your oats, starting all these threads lately.

Calling all whiskey drinkers!!@Mr. H
He said "a lethal strain of pot"..... hahahahahaha its not even marijuana.

He's from the old school...my old Papa called it dope all the time...and then would tell us about horses and how they went crazy after eating locoweed..

MORE

See also:

"Synthetic Marijuana" has no chemical similarity to marijuana, nor does it work on your system like pot does.

It's an entirely different drug - a really shitty one, btw.

Regulate it as we do alcohol and tobacco and tax it. Doing so is easy, take it off of Schedule I and let the voters of each state decide.
1. The cost to enforce Pot laws will be eliminated.
2. A multi-billion dollar black market will close.
3. Medical costs for alcohol diseases will decrease
4. Sales of munchies will increase
5. Violent crime will decrease
6. Sales of tie dye T-Shirts and paisley ties will increase.

He's from the old school...my old Papa called it dope all the time...and then would tell us about horses and how they went crazy after eating locoweed..
Well, horses have sensitive stomachs. If they eat the wrong food or too much of something, they cannot throw up and get colic. When I hear the word dope, I think of meth.

Regulate it as we do alcohol and tobacco and tax it. Doing so is easy, take it off of Schedule I and let the voters of each state decide.
1. The cost to enforce Pot laws will be eliminated.
2. A multi-billion dollar black market will close.
3. Medical costs for alcohol diseases will decrease
4. Sales of munchies will increase
5. Violent crime will decrease
6. Sales of tie dye T-Shirts and paisley ties will increase.

What about silk screen shirts?

Well, horses have sensitive stomachs. If they eat the wrong food or too much of something, they cannot throw up and get colic. When I hear the word dope, I think of meth.

Me too, he would also ask me where my purse was, cause even in the seventies I had long hair...still do...he was an old sod buster from Texas, in the early 1900's. He called it dope cause his son as an addict and shot up his drugs....broke that man's heart when his son was killed over a dope deal...in 1980...........One reason I stayed away from it...

Forum List

Back