80s Era S&W 639

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I found a 9mm Model 639 today at my local pawn shop....I gave $350.00 for it and a Bianchi holster/mag pouch. Only one mag though so I ordered another.

Made in the mid-80s or so I guess.....The pistol is very clean with no dings.

I was lucky and had saved a S&W brand Model 39 holster I picked-up years ago in a holster lot.

639 001 (2).JPG

Pretty pistol. Looks like it's patterned after a 1911, so it should be pretty accurate. I had a Star Model B a couple years ago in 9mm, and that thing was a tack driver.

Pretty pistol. Looks like it's patterned after a 1911, so it should be pretty accurate. I had a Star Model B a couple years ago in 9mm, and that thing was a tack driver.
The Star Model Bs were GTG though they performed better with 124gr fodder.....Most 9mms of that era used 124gr bullets and their sights were aligned for such and not the 115gr bullets so popular today.

The Star Model Bs were GTG though they performed better with 124gr fodder.....Most 9mms of that era used 124gr bullets and their sights were aligned for such and not the 115gr bullets so popular today.

That it did. The Star Model B I had ate 124 grainers like candy and put them on the target in nice tight groups. Not so much the 115's. It also had a longer chamber than the other 9mm pistols I have. I still have some cast 124 gr. RNL that won't chamber in any of my other pistols, because I loaded them specifically for the Star.

That it did. The Star Model B I had ate 124 grainers like candy and put them on the target in nice tight groups. Not so much the 115's. It also had a longer chamber than the other 9mm pistols I have. I still have some cast 124 gr. RNL that won't chamber in any of my other pistols, because I loaded them specifically for the Star.
Maybe you had one chambered in 9mm Largo.

I found a 9mm Model 639 today at my local pawn shop....I gave $350.00 for it and a Bianchi holster/mag pouch. Only one mag though so I ordered another.

I was lucky and had saved a S&W brand Model 39 holster I picked-up years ago in a holster lot.

View attachment 946878
Early Model 39 with steel frame and yeah, I would go for that.

But the three number pistols....meh...

My Miami Vice Era LEO S&W 5903 ( Used in over 1000 arrests by a Parole officer in Oakland who was former Army and at one time a top Guard at San Quentin and captain and then Major as leader of the CSM ) is one of my prized possessions

Early Model 39 with steel frame and yeah, I would go for that.

But the three number pistols....meh...

If you want steel then the 639 would be your only choice....Other than a few test examples Model 39s, both the 39 and 439, were alloy framed pistols.

Truth be told I'd prefer the round trigger guard of the Model 39 myself but the 639 is a far better weapon.

View attachment 946878

I think this is the gun some of the characters carried in Reservoir Dogs.

1715725463620.png

Maybe you had one chambered in 9mm Largo.

Nope, not the Largo. 9mm Parabellum, It just had a longer than usual chamber.

When I'm working up a handload for a semi-auto pistol, I take the barrel out and seat a bullet in the case until it's a couple thousandths off the lands and grooves. You can feel the resistance when you turn the round with your fingers, and you seat the bullet incrementally until no resistance can be felt. That way there's very little bullet jump before it engaged the rifling. Any more nowadays, I just seat them to an OAL that will work in all of the pistols.

I have a Bubba-fucked Springfield 03A3 that has a worn throat in the chamber. I load all my 30-06 to the maximum overall length or even longer with heavier bullets. The problem is if I had a newer rifle, the bullets would be setting right up tight against the lands and grooves, which could cause a problem with pressure. But in spite of the worn throat, I can still get 1-1/2" groups at 100 yards with the scope I have on it, which is pretty decent for an old, worn rifle.

If you want steel then the 639 would be your only choice....Other than a few test examples Model 39s, both the 39 and 439, were alloy framed pistols.

Truth be told I'd prefer the round trigger guard of the Model 39 myself but the 639 is a far better weapon.

There are 920 or so steel frame 39's that were sold in the 1950's. They were built up from the original 1000 steel frames made during the prototyping period after 1946-47. The first batch were released as alloy frames, as you say, but then S&W decided to finish up the steel frames that they still had, and sell them.

There are 920 or so steel frame 39's that were sold in the 1950's. They were built up from the original 1000 steel frames made during the prototyping period after 1946-47. The first batch were released as alloy frames, as you say, but then S&W decided to finish up the steel frames that they still had, and sell them.
Aluminum Frame S&Ws were the shit in the 80s & early 90s

So less than 1K production models in steel (made from leftover parts) were available till the 629 came out. Not even a production run really.....Just building-up pistols from leftover spare frames.

I'd buy one. ;)

So less than 1K production models in steel (made from leftover parts) were available till the 629 came out. Not even a production run really.....Just building-up pistols from leftover spare frames.

I'd buy one. ;)
Yeah, I just missed one at the Tulsa show about 15 years ago. I spotted it from an aisle away and made a beeline for it but another guy was literally a step ahead of me.

I bought a Colt AMU pistol as a feel better.

Yeah, I just missed one at the Tulsa show about 15 years ago. I spotted it from an aisle away and made a beeline for it but another guy was literally a step ahead of me.

I bought a Colt AMU pistol as a feel better.
I feel your pain.....At the same pawn shop years ago the owner told me he was going to forfeit a Luftwaffe Drilling the next day that was six months late, told me how much and I showed up with the money and I'll be damned if the owner did not show up at opening and pay it off. He was walking out when i walked in.

The shop owner felt bad and brought me out a byf-42 Luger/holster out of his stash and sold it to me for cheap.

post-3301-0-07746800-1422297517.jpg

Better than nothing I guess.

Last edited:
I feel your pain.....At the same pawn shop years ago the owner told me he was going to forfeit a Luftwaffe Drilling the next day that was six months late, told me how much and I showed up with the money and I'll be damned if the owner did not show up at opening and pay it off. He was walking out when i walked in.

The shop owner felt bad and brought me out a byf-42 Luger/holster out of his stash and sold it to me for cheap.

View attachment 947065

Better than nothing I guess.
I've had a couple of the Luftwaffe Drillings. Friends always managed to get them from me.

I still have a nice S/42 Luger with original holster, 2 matching mags, and the capture docs from a paratrooper with the 82nd.

I also have a real nice Krieghoff Luger I got from Gunther Rall about 35 years ago. It wasn't his, but was carried by one of his friends.

Forum List

Back