Stevens model 15-A .22 rifle

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
I know a guy that used to work at the prison with me and he's on up there at age 76 and has lots of guns, but he don't like to clean them though so he pays me to. He pays me 25 dollars a gun. I did a few and fixed a Taurus 9mm pistol that the mag would not stay seated in. Anyway, last year he brought me a Turkish made 12 gauge pump shotgun he bought for 100 dollars. It's an A.T.A brand pump.

ata-12-gauge.jpg

He wanted me to try and fix it because it would not feed properly. I got it and took it out to the lease and it shot but after two rounds it would jam up as the new round would be stuck on the lift ramp for some reason. I took it apart and couldn't see anything wrong with it. I messed with, lubed it up and worked the action over and over and it wouldn't work. So I called him and told him I didn't know what it was and to come get it. He said that after he paid me and paid a gunsmith to fix it it would cost more than it was worth and I could just keep it. Well, I really would have rather had the 25 bucks, but I ended up with it.

It sat there for a while and one day I took it apart again and jacked with the action some more cleaning, oiling, stroking the pump back and forth, and I had some dummy rounds and loaded them into it and it started feeding! Reliably! Of course they don't weigh near what the loaded rounds do but I thought it may be fixed. Fast forward a few months to yesterday and he calls me and asks if I still had it and I said I did. He said he had two pistols he needed cleaned and he'd give me 50 bucks to do them if I'd give him the shotgun back. I said ok since I never wanted it anyway!

Now for the last year or so I have wanted a bolt action 22 rifle just to mess around with, preferably one with a 24 inch barrel so it would be quiet with the right ammo. I haven't been able to find a good used one anywhere, and the local pawn shop has one for 400 dollars! No way! So just for the heck of it I called my buddy and asked him if he had one he wanted to part with, and sure enough he said he did, and if I'd clean the two pistols he brought me plus two or three more I could have it! I said yeah sure and asked him what it was. He said it was a Stevens model 15-A he bought when he was 13 in 1958 and it was a single shot with a 24 inch barrel. This morning he brought it over with one of the pistols for me to clean, a Dessert Eagle 9mm. It's in really good shape, no rust, the bluing is good and the stock is good. You have to put the live round into the chamber but it's ok. I stripped it down and cleaned it good and I'll go shoot it next week after I change the water pump on my Envoy.

It's got open sights, no place to put a scope and no serial number. That bothered me but I looked it up and serial numbers are only required on guns made after 1968! So just out of nowhere I got a pretty cool plinker to mess with!

This isn't it but it looks just like this:

stevens-15-a.jpg

And this, amazing!

stevens-15-a-cost.jpg

Yay!

Remington model 514 .22 caliber single shot -22short,long,long rifle. Had since a boy around 11years old. People who shoot it always want it. I lost track of how many rounds I have shot with it. Parents got it for me for my birthday. Its my cold dead hands rifle. :)
I put meat on the table with it everything from squirrels to wild pigs. If you can get your hands on one buy it it will be great starter gun for a child or adult. That Stevens rifle looks great. It and the rem.514 shows you don't need to be a millionaire to get a great firearm.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Some guy got one all rusted up and got it shooting on YT, this was the end of the stock! Someone had put 22 rounds in it. He said there were no primer strikes either!

stevens 15a butt.png

I know a guy that used to work at the prison with me and he's on up there at age 76 and has lots of guns, but he don't like to clean them though so he pays me to. He pays me 25 dollars a gun. I did a few and fixed a Taurus 9mm pistol that the mag would not stay seated in. Anyway, last year he brought me a Turkish made 12 gauge pump shotgun he bought for 100 dollars. It's an A.T.A brand pump.

View attachment 475452

He wanted me to try and fix it because it would not feed properly. I got it and took it out to the lease and it shot but after two rounds it would jam up as the new round would be stuck on the lift ramp for some reason. I took it apart and couldn't see anything wrong with it. I messed with, lubed it up and worked the action over and over and it wouldn't work. So I called him and told him I didn't know what it was and to come get it. He said that after he paid me and paid a gunsmith to fix it it would cost more than it was worth and I could just keep it. Well, I really would have rather had the 25 bucks, but I ended up with it.

It sat there for a while and one day I took it apart again and jacked with the action some more cleaning, oiling, stroking the pump back and forth, and I had some dummy rounds and loaded them into it and it started feeding! Reliably! Of course they don't weigh near what the loaded rounds do but I thought it may be fixed. Fast forward a few months to yesterday and he calls me and asks if I still had it and I said I did. He said he had two pistols he needed cleaned and he'd give me 50 bucks to do them if I'd give him the shotgun back. I said ok since I never wanted it anyway!

Now for the last year or so I have wanted a bolt action 22 rifle just to mess around with, preferably one with a 24 inch barrel so it would be quiet with the right ammo. I haven't been able to find a good used one anywhere, and the local pawn shop has one for 400 dollars! No way! So just for the heck of it I called my buddy and asked him if he had one he wanted to part with, and sure enough he said he did, and if I'd clean the two pistols he brought me plus two or three more I could have it! I said yeah sure and asked him what it was. He said it was a Stevens model 15-A he bought when he was 13 in 1958 and it was a single shot with a 24 inch barrel. This morning he brought it over with one of the pistols for me to clean, a Dessert Eagle 9mm. It's in really good shape, no rust, the bluing is good and the stock is good. You have to put the live round into the chamber but it's ok. I stripped it down and cleaned it good and I'll go shoot it next week after I change the water pump on my Envoy.

It's got open sights, no place to put a scope and no serial number. That bothered me but I looked it up and serial numbers are only required on guns made after 1968! So just out of nowhere I got a pretty cool plinker to mess with!

This isn't it but it looks just like this:

View attachment 475453

And this, amazing!

View attachment 475454

Yay!
My Dad taught me to shoot with that gun. Single shot bolt action s/l/lr.

You open the the bolt, load it, close the bolt, then manually cock the firing pin by pulling back the knob at the back of the bolt.

Nostalgia.

Nice acquisition. You'll love it.

The old Savage/Stevens .22s are hard to beat. Like all the older manufactures they made some nice/accurate barrels back in the day and they all shoot lights-out within the limitations of their irons/trigger.

This past October I found a "rare" Stevens Model 65 tube-fed B/A .22 for $50. It was made for one year and cataloged in 1929....It shoots S-L-LR. The weird thing with it (and the later Model 66 that replaced it) is that the magazine tube reciprocates with the travel of the bolt.

It was in sort of sorry shape cosmetic wise and the safety did not function....The safty was a easy fix as it was just installed backwards.

Someone had tried to refinish it and must have used Easy-Off because the stock was "burned" as E-O will do on birch and other light woods so a lighter OEM color was out of the question.

I went with a alcohol based leather dye (Fiebing’s Cordovan color) and it worked OK, giving it a sorta US .mil walnut look to it. Not exact (a bit darker) but close.....I finished it with a couple coats of tung oil.

s_002__2__JPG-2097037.JPG

s_003__2__JPG-2097039.JPG

Forum List

Back