75% of African American boys in California fail to meet state reading levels.

Report: 75% Of Black California Boys Fail To Meet Reading And Writing Standards

There's a problem with the education system, and it's not about money. The problem is with common core. Teaching students to be worker bees, teaching them there's only one way to skin a cat, and it's our way. Our education system has been continuing to fail our kids for the past 50 years, and their only solution is more and more money. We spend way more than most of the world per student, and the number keeps growing, and education keeps getting worse. When are we going to learn that one size fits all policy doesn't work. Dictating from the top down does not work. When you put a small group of people in charge over all citizens, you get a limited number of solutions to problems, and a lack of creativity AT BEST. Usually what you get is complacency, self serving actions to stay in power, and a black hole of money and increase in control that is never satisfied. And when they fail we give them more money, more control, more personnel, and what we get is the same solutions causing the problems, that just cost more.

"The system" works fine for anyone disciplined and driven to succeed.
The real problem:
Ghetto parents are a joke and turn to schools to do their parenting for them...the filthy sub-humans are way to busy smoking weed and making more babies.
The solution:
Raise the iQ in ghettos by forcing ghetto parents receiving any sort of welfare into classrooms which teach to break the ghetto mindset.
Again all American students are falling behind. There are ghettos everywhere. Some places are falling behind faster than others, and it's the places with more progressive policies in charge.

Blacks have lower IQ's on average
And Asians and Jews have higher IQ on average than whites.

True.
Jews and Asians demand the most of their children...they teach accountability and responsibility.
Blacks, either directly or indirectly convince their children that the system is against them and they are destined to fail.
This has never been a complex issue...you'll find better parental skills within the animal kingdom....parents in ghettos and poor communities just don't have the iQ or ambition to put into their own.

Blacks have lower IQ's on average

Sucks to be you:

Conservatives exhibit less cognitive ability than liberals do. Or that's what it says in the social science literature, anyway. A 2010 study using data from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health, for example, found that the IQs of young adults who described themselves as "very liberal" averaged 106.42, whereas the mean of those who identified as "very conservative" was 94.82. Similarly, when a 2009 study correlated cognitive capacity with political beliefs among 1,254 community college students and 1,600 foreign students seeking entry to U.S. universities, it found that conservatism is "related to low performance on cognitive ability tests." In 2012, a paper reported that people endorse more conservative views when drunk or under cognitive pressure; it concluded that "political conservatism may be a process consequence of low-effort thought."

Are Conservatives Dumber Than Liberals?
I assume then that if you accept the results of this IQ study then you certainly accept the multiple studies that show significant differences in IQ levels between Asians, Whites, Jews and Blacks, correct?

The problem with the eduction system is very simple: it's a complex problem and there's no simple solution. Many people don't even understand the problem fully, and therefore their solutions are garbage. For example, the OP in his post clearly doesn't understand that Common Core is a set of standards...yet complains about a curriculum later on. If you don't know the difference between a set of standards and a curriculum-then you have no foundation in educational knowledge, meaning your solutions are irrelevant because you can't prescribe the appropriate medication if you can't even diagnose the problem at hand.

I'm not suggesting that Common Core is perfect-it's not. But if you don't even know what it is, then quite frankly nobody should give two craps about your opinion on it.

There's a problem with the education system, and it's not about money. The problem is with common core. Teaching students to be worker bees, teaching them there's only one way to skin a cat, and it's our way. Our education system has been continuing to fail our kids for the past 50 years, and their only solution is more and more money. We spend way more than most of the world per student, and the number keeps growing, and education keeps getting worse. When are we going to learn that one size fits all policy doesn't work. Dictating from the top down does not work. When you put a small group of people in charge over all citizens, you get a limited number of solutions to problems, and a lack of creativity AT BEST. Usually what you get is complacency, self serving actions to stay in power, and a black hole of money and increase in control that is never satisfied. And when they fail we give them more money, more control, more personnel, and what we get is the same solutions causing the problems, that just cost more.
"Black" or "Negro" takes a lot less typing than "African American."

The problem with the eduction system is very simple: it's a complex problem and there's no simple solution. Many people don't even understand the problem fully, and therefore their solutions are garbage. For example, the OP in his post clearly doesn't understand that Common Core is a set of standards...yet complains about a curriculum later on. If you don't know the difference between a set of standards and a curriculum-then you have no foundation in educational knowledge, meaning your solutions are irrelevant because you can't prescribe the appropriate medication if you can't even diagnose the problem at hand.

I'm not suggesting that Common Core is perfect-it's not. But if you don't even know what it is, then quite frankly nobody should give two craps about your opinion on it.
Yea girlfriends mom works with discovery channel getting common core passed, ciriculum, and working with schools to sell and explain it. And she makes A LOT of money doing it as a big whig of common core. I'm confident I know more than you about it.

So what happens to these kids now?

upload_2017-6-11_15-14-34.png

Also what in the world do you think a "set of standards" means? Like to hear it.

You should be happy then! Common Core is no longer required. I suggest you get up to speed on your compliant.

Have a nice day!

Also what in the world do you think a "set of standards" means? Like to hear it.

Standards are what is to be taught and has nothing to do with how it is to be taught. Critics of public education have been confusing the two for years. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, because you are not alone in not knowing the difference. Blaming Common Core is a cop-out.

^^^^^^Racist^^^^^^^

-Geaux

There were problems in public education before Common Core. When my kids were young we had a very enlightening conversation with the Principal at their elementary school. She explained to us there was little funding for high performing students because the majority of the funds and programs were dedicated to raising the bottom performing 25% up to the middle.

Woohoo!

So the end result, according to the principal was spending most of the budget on the dumbest kids with little improvement to show for it. Rather analogous to the Paris Accord which would have cost trillions and ultimately would have reduced global temperature by a fraction of a degree. But I digress.

Common Core sucks and should be abandoned but that is only one example of how bad the government has jacked up education.

^^^^^^Racist^^^^^^^

-Geaux

Could you point out the racism?

The schools could always start a Ebonics curriculum together with ESL.

That might help the little black kiddies.

Ebonics 1, 2, 3, and 4 in high school.

Ebonics A, B, C, D, E, F for elementary school.

Middle School could have Ebonics I and II.

There were problems in public education before Common Core. When my kids were young we had a very enlightening conversation with the Principal at their elementary school. She explained to us there was little funding for high performing students because the majority of the funds and programs were dedicated to raising the bottom performing 25% up to the middle.

Woohoo!

So the end result, according to the principal was spending most of the budget on the dumbest kids with little improvement to show for it. Rather analogous to the Paris Accord which would have cost trillions and ultimately would have reduced global temperature by a fraction of a degree. But I digress.

Common Core sucks and should be abandoned but that is only one example of how bad the government has jacked up education.

That's up to your school district.

There is nothing wrong with Common Core. Many states abandoned Common Core by slapping a new name on the same standards and calling them something else. The problem is the curricula sold to accompany the standards that are a piece of crap!

Standards are what is to be taught and has nothing to do with how it is to be taught. Critics of public education have been confusing the two for years. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, because you are not alone in not knowing the difference. Blaming Common Core is a cop-out.

Common core just happens to be the primary example of the ideology (top down) that I pointed out. What I am looking at is trends in education. And common core happens to fall in the cross hairs of a down trend. A trend just like this is secondary education.

College grade inflation: Does 'A' stand for 'average'?

How does one set standards? They have to be able to test to evaluate their standards. And what happened in the case of common core is teachers had to start teaching to those tests, test that tested the ability to follow instruction vs results. Are you acting like there wasn't a huge shift in curriculum after common core?

Common core just happens to be the primary example of the ideology (top down) that I pointed out. What I am looking at is trends in education. And common core happens to fall in the cross hairs of a down trend. A trend just like this is secondary education.

College grade inflation: Does 'A' stand for 'average'?

How does one set standards? They have to be able to test to evaluate their standards. And what happened in the case of common core is teachers had to start teaching to those tests, test that tested the ability to follow instruction vs results. Are you acting like there wasn't a huge shift in curriculum after common core?

Has there been a shift in education? Yes. Is it based on what you're saying? No. I'm in the classroom every single school day, so unless you also are, I'm going to assume I'm more versed on the issues at hand than you are.

Common Core is WHAT skills students are supposed to learn...a curriculum is HOW they learn them, big difference. Also the main test that my students have to pass is their writing test for the state...so I have to teach them reading/writing skills...are you suggesting I shouldn't be teaching them that?

A's for "average" has NOTHING to do with Common Core. Different teachers have different expectations from students-and different schools do as well. Students who want easy A's hate getting my class and want the other teachers who teach my subject...students who thrive while being challenged, want to feel like they've earned their grade, and most importantly want to learn, love having my class.

Last edited:

The best analogy I can give you is a race. Let's say everybody in this thread is entered into a race and we have to get from New York City to Boston. The finish line is in Boston (this is what a standard would be-WHAT is to be learned). Now each district/state creates a curriculum which is HOW. Some people might take a plane, others might take a boat, others might taker a car, a train etc.

Finish line=standard (what is to be learned)
Curriculum=the act of achieving the standard (how)

Here is Common Core's website...if you can find some standards that you think schools should not focus on-point them out.

English Language Arts Standards | Common Core State Standards Initiative

Keep in mind the HOW the Common Core standards are achieved is the stuff you'll see online (such as "wow look at how Common Core teaches my kid to do math!")...no Common Core is the math skill to be learned...your curriculum is the problem.

In my experience the standards are fine for English, and like I said I challenge anybody to find English standards (I'm only familiar with grades 9-12), that they think should be ended. Now as for my curriculum? Some of it is good, some of it is ok, quite a bit is crap. I do my best to supplement it when necessary and when I'm allowed to (luckily I'm given a good amount of autonomy since my ratings-yes us teachers are rated every school year-are always very strong).

Forum List

Back