71 Years

MILITARY VIEWS About Dropping the Atomic Bomb

"Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, Commander in Chief of the Pacific Fleet stated in a public address given at the Washington Monument on October 5, 1945:

The Japanese had, in fact, already sued for peace before the atomic age was announced to the world with the destruction of Hiroshima and before the Russian entry into the war. (See p. 329, Chapter 26) . . . [Nimitz also stated: "The atomic bomb played no decisive part, from a purely military standpoint, in the defeat of Japan. . . ."]"

"Admiral William F. Halsey, Jr., Commander U.S. Third Fleet, stated publicly in 1946:

The first atomic bomb was an unnecessary experiment. . . . It was a mistake to ever drop it. . . . [the scientists] had this toy and they wanted to try it out, so they dropped it. . . . It killed a lot of Japs, but the Japs had put out a lot of peace feelers through Russia long before. (See p. 331, Chapter 26)"

"On September 20, 1945 the famous "hawk" who commanded the Twenty-First Bomber Command, Major General Curtis E. LeMay (as reported in The New York Herald Tribune) publicly:
  • said flatly at one press conference that the atomic bomb "had nothing to do with the end of the war." He said the war would have been over in two weeks without the use of the atomic bomb or the Russian entry into the war. (See p. 336, Chapter 27)"

"On the 40th Anniversary of the bombing former President Richard M. Nixon reported that:

• [General Douglas] MacArthur once spoke to me very eloquently about it, pacing the floor of his apartment in the Waldorf. He thought it a tragedy that the Bomb was ever exploded. MacArthur believed that the same restrictions ought to apply to atomic weapons as to conventional weapons, that the military objective should always be limited damage to noncombatants. . . . MacArthur, you see, was a soldier. He believed in using force only against military targets, and that is why the nuclear thing turned him off. . . . (See p. 352, Chapter 28)

• The day after Hiroshima was bombed MacArthur's pilot, Weldon E. Rhoades, noted in his diary:

General MacArthur definitely is appalled and depressed by this Frankenstein monster [the bomb]. I had a long talk with him today, necessitated by the impending trip to Okinawa. . . . (See p. 350, Chapter 28)"
Totally hog slop. .......

Direct quotes from key military and political leaders is "hog slop"? Try again.
And I can prove those are not real quotes. ......

Go ahead...
i just did. .....

Insistence is not proof. I provided links and direct quotes.

You're going to have to take it up with the Chicago Tribune, for one thing.

Ignored Japanese Peace Bids Plague U. S., West, with What Might Have Been (August 14, 1965)
I can find paper articles from reporters about aliens, sea monsters and God, doesn't prove anything. The 46,000 American casualties and the extensive use of kamakazee pilots in that battle just 6 weeks prior to Hiroshima tells anyone where Japan stood.

You have no proof at all. You are stomping your little feet and sticking your fingers in your ears.

Ignored Japanese Peace Bids Plague U. S., West, with What Might Have Been (August 14, 1965)
I can find paper articles from reporters about aliens, sea monsters and God, doesn't prove anything. The 46,000 American casualties and the extensive use of kamakazee pilots in that battle just 6 weeks prior to Hiroshima tells anyone where Japan stood.

You have no proof at all. You are stomping your little feet and sticking your fingers in your ears.
You have bogus quotes, I have historical facts and personal accounts.

You have bogus quotes....

Prove the quotes are bogus. That is now YOUR claim.

It's your quotes. It's not my job.

Fact remains, on May 8 when Germany surrendered Japan issued a Decleration they had no intention of surrendering, 6 weeks prior to Hiroshima 46,000 American casualties on Okinawa, two weeks prior the Potsdam Decleration was issued for Japan to surrender which was ignored, 2 days after Hiroshima Russia declared war on Japan, and not until a week after Nagasaki did Japan declare they would surrender. And that was only after a failed coup to keep the war going.

Your supposed quotes have no room to fit in the historical timeline.

It's your quotes. It's not my job......

It is now. I have provided, links, evidence, official reporting, and direct quotes. YOU have made the claim that these are false. I have given you all you need to check the sources. Now YOU have to support YOUR claim, you illogical, flightless fowl.

Was Hiroshima Necessary?

"General/President Dwight Eisenhower discusses this in his 1963 memoir, The White House Years: Mandate for Change, 1953-1956 (pp. 312-313). When he was informed in mid-July 1945 by Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson of the decision to use the atomic bomb, he was deeply troubled."

“I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and so I voiced to [Stimson] my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives. It was my belief that Japan was, at that very moment, seeking some way to surrender with a minimum loss of ‘face.’ ” (source)

“The Japanese were ready to surrender and it wasn’t necessary to hit them with that awful thing… I hated to see our country be the first to use such a weapon.” (source)

Was Hiroshima Necessary?

"Another great example comes from General Douglas MacArthur, who sent a 40-page memorandum to President Roosevelt that clearly outlines five different surrender overtures from high ranking Japanese officials. This memo was also revealed on the front page of the Chicago Tribune and theWashington Times on August 19th, 1945."

"Again, the memo unequivocally states that the Japanese were offering to surrender. What is even more eye-opening is the fact that the surrender terms were practically identical to what was ultimately accepted by the Americans after the bomb had dropped. The memo (source) stated these terms:

• Complete surrender of all Japanese forces and arms, at home, on island possessions, and in occupied countries.
  • Occupation of Japan and its possessions by Allied troops under American direction.
  • Japanese relinquishment of all territory seized during the war, as well as Manchuria, Korea, and Taiwan.
  • Regulation of Japanese industry to halt production of any weapons and other tools of war
  • Release of all prisoners of war and internees
  • Surrender of designated war criminals
Japan also made multiple attempts to end the war through Sweden and Portugal, who were neutral at the time. They also approached Soviet Russia’s leaders “with a view of terminating the war if possible by September.” (source)

Here is a quote from Deputy Director of the Office of Naval Intelligence, Ellis Zacharias:

Just when the Japanese were ready to capitulate, we went ahead and introduced to the world the most devastating weapon it had ever seen and, in effect, gave the go-ahead to Russia to swarm over Eastern Asia.

Washington decided that Japan had been given its chance and now it was time to use the A-bomb.

I submit that it was the wrong decision. It was wrong on strategic grounds. And it was wrong on humanitarian grounds. (source)"

The Real Reason America Dropped The Atomic Bomb. It Was Not To End The War

"Similarly, Admiral Leahy, Chief of Staff to presidents Roosevelt and Truman, later commented:

It is my opinion that the use of the barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan … The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons … My own feeling was that in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children. (source)

There have also been some disturbing remarks like this one:

On September 9, 1945, Admiral William F. Halsey, commander of the Third Fleet, was publicly quoted as stating that the atomic bomb was used because the scientists had a “toy and they wanted to try it out…” He further stated that “the first atomic bomb was an unnecessary experiment” and that it was “a mistake to ever drop it.” (source)

He said this despite the fact that most prominent scientists were completely against it. The scientists involved with the Manhattan project even wrote to the Secretary of Defense to try to encourage him not to drop the bomb."

Was Hiroshima Necessary?

"General/President Dwight Eisenhower discusses this in his 1963 memoir, The White House Years: Mandate for Change, 1953-1956 (pp. 312-313). When he was informed in mid-July 1945 by Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson of the decision to use the atomic bomb, he was deeply troubled."

“I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and so I voiced to [Stimson] my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives. It was my belief that Japan was, at that very moment, seeking some way to surrender with a minimum loss of ‘face.’ ” (source)

“The Japanese were ready to surrender and it wasn’t necessary to hit them with that awful thing… I hated to see our country be the first to use such a weapon.” (source)

Was Hiroshima Necessary?

"Another great example comes from General Douglas MacArthur, who sent a 40-page memorandum to President Roosevelt that clearly outlines five different surrender overtures from high ranking Japanese officials. This memo was also revealed on the front page of the Chicago Tribune and theWashington Times on August 19th, 1945."

"Again, the memo unequivocally states that the Japanese were offering to surrender. What is even more eye-opening is the fact that the surrender terms were practically identical to what was ultimately accepted by the Americans after the bomb had dropped. The memo (source) stated these terms:

• Complete surrender of all Japanese forces and arms, at home, on island possessions, and in occupied countries.
  • Occupation of Japan and its possessions by Allied troops under American direction.
  • Japanese relinquishment of all territory seized during the war, as well as Manchuria, Korea, and Taiwan.
  • Regulation of Japanese industry to halt production of any weapons and other tools of war
Japan also made multiple attempts to end the war through Sweden and Portugal, who were neutral at the time. They also approached Soviet Russia’s leaders “with a view of terminating the war if possible by September.” (source)

Here is a quote from Deputy Director of the Office of Naval Intelligence, Ellis Zacharias:

Just when the Japanese were ready to capitulate, we went ahead and introduced to the world the most devastating weapon it had ever seen and, in effect, gave the go-ahead to Russia to swarm over Eastern Asia.

Washington decided that Japan had been given its chance and now it was time to use the A-bomb.

I submit that it was the wrong decision. It was wrong on strategic grounds. And it was wrong on humanitarian grounds. (source)"

"Similarly, Admiral Leahy, Chief of Staff to presidents Roosevelt and Truman, later commented:

It is my opinion that the use of the barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan … The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons … My own feeling was that in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children. (source)

On September 9, 1945, Admiral William F. Halsey, commander of the Third Fleet, was publicly quoted as stating that the atomic bomb was used because the scientists had a “toy and they wanted to try it out…” He further stated that “the first atomic bomb was an unnecessary experiment” and that it was “a mistake to ever drop it.” (source)

He said this despite the fact that most prominent scientists were completely against it. The scientists involved with the Manhattan project even wrote to the Secretary of Defense to try to encourage him not to drop the bomb."
Your source, Institute for Historical Review, is a hate group that denies the holocaust and has links to neo Nazis. So yes, like I said, your supposed quotes have no room in the historical timeline.

Was Hiroshima Necessary?

Was Hiroshima Necessary?

Your source, Institute for Historical Review, is a hate group that denies the holocaust and has links to neo Nazis. So yes, like I said, your supposed quotes have no room in the historical timeline.

How about the University of Colorado, Boulder? You have still failed to support your claim in any way.

Was Hiroshima Necessary?

Was Hiroshima Necessary?

How about the University of Colorado, Boulder? You have still failed to support your claim in any way.
It's your quotes, not my job to prove a negative.

Was Hiroshima Necessary?

Was Hiroshima Necessary?

You fail logic again. I have supported my claim, you cannot.

Was Hiroshima Necessary?

Was Hiroshima Necessary?

You fail logic again. I have supported my claim, you cannot.
Yeah, you supported it with a holocaust denying Nazi group as your source.

More BS revisionism void of fact.

I'll stick to the eye witness accounts of those there preparing for the invasion of the homeland and those on Okinawa.

I have provided page after page of direct quotes from military and political leaders of the day. I have provided mountains of evidence. You have provided jack shit. Support your position or put your head back up your ass and STFU.

Forum List

Back