3rd Largest Health Insurer Will Likely Pullout Of ACA

Dekster is talking about specific matters about which he has no specific knoweldge.

You have no idea what I have knowledge of. Refute it then. It should not be hard to see what medicare's policies are for LTCH and Acute Care hospitals. In the mean time, this about the time of day transports line up to transfer patients out of our local hospital to other facilities out of state.
Your nonsense has been refuted. You just refuse to accept that you don't know about what you are talking.

You haven't said shit in 5K post except shit. It is not how life is. That 1 hospital a month is shutting down has not been refuted; that acute car facilities cannot be paid for LTC patients has not been refuted. Look at the medicare website. It will explain to you what a LTCH hospital is. I live in a city with exactly one hospital. The next closest hospital that is not a doc in the box is 63 miles away. The cost sharing provisions that may have existed 10 years ago when someone worked for an HMO answering phones have been eliminated to fund the PPACA which is why we are losing 1 hospital a month.

Well, hell, Dek, I have not even seen you link your assertion that one hospital closes every month. i'm not about to refute your assertions that I do not even believe.

Well it hasn't happened in your retirement village so it can't possibly be true:

Rural Hospitals Closing at Rate of 1 Per Month

I will not contest that hospitals are closing in places like Dogtrot, Iowa. That is also the reason that Southwest Airlines does not land next to the hog farm out there. So, what does that have to do with Medicare?

For scores of years, AT&T subsidized rural telephone service by seriously overcharging everyone for long distance service. It was part of the deal that they struck with the feds, in exchange for a telephone monopoly. Well, guess what? those days are over. I feel no particular need to pay hospitals more in my community in order to service places where it is impossible for them to sustain their existence in their own community.

Last edited:
Your nonsense has been refuted. You just refuse to accept that you don't know about what you are talking.

You haven't said shit in 5K post except shit. It is not how life is. That 1 hospital a month is shutting down has not been refuted; that acute car facilities cannot be paid for LTC patients has not been refuted. Look at the medicare website. It will explain to you what a LTCH hospital is. I live in a city with exactly one hospital. The next closest hospital that is not a doc in the box is 63 miles away. The cost sharing provisions that may have existed 10 years ago when someone worked for an HMO answering phones have been eliminated to fund the PPACA which is why we are losing 1 hospital a month.

Well, hell, Dek, I have not even seen you link your assertion that one hospital closes every month. i'm not about to refute your assertions that I do not even believe.

Well it hasn't happened in your retirement village so it can't possibly be true:

Rural Hospitals Closing at Rate of 1 Per Month

Did you read the article or just grab the headline?

The reason those hospitals are closing is:

As we've reported before, 18 states have yet to expand Medicaid, the health insurance program for poor and working poor. The action (or lack thereof) of these 18 states has left 5 million Americans without access to health insurance. That is 5 million Americans who cannot pay when they show up at their local hospital, putting a direct strain on the hospital's bottom line.

Apparently you didn't read it. There is a nice little link in the second paragraph "At the same time, hospitals are managing tightening Medicare reimbursement rates." The thing you allege isn't happening becaise you once worked for an HMO which medicare skews remibursement rates in favor of. Now had you clicked on that link you would have seen an article talking about those according to you non-existent medicare cuts. And while this particular article did not discuss it, part of the problem is that EMTLA funding has been cut, funding that disproportionately hurts small hospitals as the service higher rates of poor people

"Since 1981, the federal government has helped pay for care hospitals give to patients who can't afford it, through a nationwide fund of $20 billion known as the Disproportionate Share Hospital program. The health care law already has been cutting the Medicare portion of these payments, and beginning in 2017, it is slated to do so with Medicaid as well, gradually cutting the entire Disproportionate Share Hospital fund in half." Safety-Net Hospitals Worry About Obamacare Cuts

But hey, since it didn't happen when you still worked and hasn't affected you, it does not exist.

First of all, I'm not the poster who worked for an HMO.

Second, the reason these hospitals are closing is because the idiot legislators in their states refused the Medicaid expansion.

Cause, effect. Simple, really.

A small hospital opened about 8 miles from me last year. It was financed by a very interesting arrangement. A consortium of Chinese folks wanted American citizenship, and made a deal with the governments of the state and the feds. After a thorough background check, it was agreed to grant citizenship to these people, in exchange for their financing and building this hospital. They have about 40 beds, a helicopter, and a fully certified ER. They take Medicare patients, and they are physically located about 45 miles from any major city. In addition to Medicare, at least 3 major HMO's have contracted them.

It was a win/win situation.

BTW. After I retired from my career in health insurance, I went to work for this hospital:

3500785944_03922f2562_z.jpg

Charity Hospital.

Until it was flooded by Katrina, in New Orleans. It has never reopened. So, yes, I understand that some hospitals close.

Single payer won't happen in our lifetimes. The logistics would be cold-war era russian to sort out.
No, it would not. Sign every one up by year groups in a medicare-type system, force health corporations to bid for contacts, and role it out over ten years.

The medicare-type system requires hospitals to treat people for the most part at or below cost. You are bankrupting the system unless you are one of those folks who think spit on it and rub some dirt over and you'll be fine is acceptable healthcare.

False. I know, because I was in charge of contracting hospitals at one time, and us HMO's were contracted with hospitals for advantage plans at exactly the same rate as Medicare had contracted with hospitals.

Which was still less than the going rate. No matter how you cut it, it is still price control.

HMO's have been contracting with providers at less than the "going rate", since 1986. It is "cost shifting", and the hospitals charge people with no contracted rates at whatever the hell they want. This is why 2 aspirin in a hospital costs you $50 if you are not under a plan with a contracted rate. This goes on with or without any government health plan being involved. It has nothing to do with medicare, other than the fact that Medicare is at least smart enough to contract for the best rates, just like HMO's do.

Medicare dictates the rates.

No, it would not. Sign every one up by year groups in a medicare-type system, force health corporations to bid for contacts, and role it out over ten years.

The medicare-type system requires hospitals to treat people for the most part at or below cost. You are bankrupting the system unless you are one of those folks who think spit on it and rub some dirt over and you'll be fine is acceptable healthcare.

False. I know, because I was in charge of contracting hospitals at one time, and us HMO's were contracted with hospitals for advantage plans at exactly the same rate as Medicare had contracted with hospitals.

Which was still less than the going rate. No matter how you cut it, it is still price control.

HMO's have been contracting with providers at less than the "going rate", since 1986. It is "cost shifting", and the hospitals charge people with no contracted rates at whatever the hell they want. This is why 2 aspirin in a hospital costs you $50 if you are not under a plan with a contracted rate. This goes on with or without any government health plan being involved. It has nothing to do with medicare, other than the fact that Medicare is at least smart enough to contract for the best rates, just like HMO's do.

Which any hospital can decline to accept, in which case, they will not be reimbursed by Medicare. I know of no major hospital that has declined the Medicare reimbursement formula.

Which any hospital can decline to accept, in which case, they will not be reimbursed by Medicare. I know of no major hospital that has declined the Medicare reimbursement formula.

Don't know what the current situation is but a little obscure joint call the Mayo Clinic apparently did Why the Mayo Clinic is refusing to see Medicare patients

Don't know what the current situation is but a little obscure joint call the Mayo Clinic apparently did Why the Mayo Clinic is refusing to see Medicare patients

I don't know where you get your information, but my daughter is a nurse at Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix, AZ, and they take Medicare patients.

I don't know where you get your information, but my daughter is a nurse at Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix, AZ, and they take Medicare patients.

It's a blog. Written four years before the implementation of the PPACA.

Apparently you once again did not read the link, by why should you, you know everything about everything even when you are wrong.

Medicare and the Mayo Clinic

Mayo Clinic Criticized for Limiting Medicare Patients

Mayo vs. Medicare: an update

I am sure if I found another hospital you would have a cousin who works there too.

And frankly, Dek, I find your immature insinuations that I am lying about my ties to the health care industry tiresome. This conversation is closed.

Well, i guess you just can't trust the current Mayo Clinic website, in which they clearly state that they take medicare Part A.(hospital coverage). You should write them right away and have them correct that:

More about Medicare - Billing and Insurance at Mayo Clinic - Billing – Insurance - Mayo Clinic

Now, now. Everyone knows that facts have a liberal bias. The only information that's truly trustworthy is anonymous blogs that have been passed around via viral email for years. ;)

Apparently you once again did not read the link, by why should you, you know everything about everything even when you are wrong.

I read the blog at the link, which was written four years before the implementation of the PPACA. Obviously the blogger knows more than the Mayo Clinic itself. I mean, why trust the source when you can find an outdated third-hand blog that fits your confirmation bias?

You're taking advise from a multi-millionaire that will benefit him greatly and screw you. Really smart.

I'm listening to his story.

Are you that much of a puppet ?

You're listening to his story and post it, and you call ME a puppet?

I didn't post it, moron.

Someone else did.

I simply listened to it. You have some filter that allows you to know what's in a video before you watch it ?

Pray tell....do share.

Single-payer is inevitable.

I'd much rather see healthcare insurance forced into non-profit.

It could be the same--something like a single payer post office type entity. They have to be able to operate at a surplus and those surpluses invested into reserve accounts. If not, it will never be properly funded in a way that takes the political fingers out of the pudding.

What has our government done effectively.

If someone says Social Security, I'll be ROTFLMAO.

In 2015, over 59 million Americans received almost $870 billion in Social Security benefits.

And that makes it efficient ?

Got it.

:uhoh3::uhoh3::uhoh3:

Does anyone have an idea of how much a universal healthcare system in America would cost every taxpayer compared to what we're paying for the ACA costs now?

Does anyone have an idea of how much a universal healthcare system in America would cost every taxpayer compared to what we're paying for the ACA costs now?
2 years ago total us healthcare spending was $3T or a little less than $10K per person....except where the other posters live because I am sure people pay patients to let them treat them the way their versions of reality have been flowing

2 years ago total us healthcare spending was $3T or a little less than $10K per person....except where the other posters live because I am sure people pay patients to let them treat them the way their versions of reality have been flowing

However, that's in a perfect world. Not everyone is taxed evenly, nor would it be the case if we were to implement UHC in this country. I'm wondering if UHC would actually break the average person's budget to implement such a program. If I make $14/hour and have to pay $6,000 a year towards the ACA, that's an extra $115 a week out of a net pay of $440.

Forum List

Back