3rd Largest Health Insurer Will Likely Pullout Of ACA

Shouldn't the Right repeal Medicare before repealing ACA? Medicare became law in 1965, and having spent my entire career in health insurance, I have been listening to the Right scream about it for decades. Granted, Medicare has been kind of off the radar since ACA became law, but it seems sad to watch the Right surrender in only 51 years....

Ah, they're always gonna yawp about something...

Shouldn't the Right repeal Medicare before repealing ACA? Medicare became law in 1965, and having spent my entire career in health insurance, I have been listening to the Right scream about it for decades. Granted, Medicare has been kind of off the radar since ACA became law, but it seems sad to watch the Right surrender in only 51 years....

Ah, they're always gonna yawp about something...

Well, based on this, I guess that we will have to endure their handwringing over abortion until 2024.

he got $17M last year and $15M the year before so I doubt he is crying too much about it.
Amazing how you can lose and still win.........

They didn't lose. They lost money on the PPACA crap but they made it up elsewhere. That is the problem people so keen on the PPACA do not seem to realize. You are not soaking CEO's. You are soaking people like me who do not get a subsidized policy but have our rates going up between 25-30% a year when it used to be half that, and it isn't like I am some billionaire. All that extra money gets parked in Wall Street or a bank and doesn't get spent locally where it could create some velocity to support businesses that could be creating jobs if they were not dumping so much into their own insurances and losing sales to people who have less discretionary income to spend.

Did you check the exchanges or did you just accept whatever plan your employer decided was in his best interests?

Neither. I do not have insurance through work and I make too much to get a subsidy, so I buy my insurance through an agent.

And the agent's primarily interested in his fee. Before this year's deadline, do yourself a favor and check this out:

Subsidy Calculator Widget

You may save yourself a few $.

It wouldn't but thanks. It quotes me a no subsidy second cheapest silver plan estimate. My plan is no longer offered to new subscribers but is generally better than the silver plans because I have a lower deductible than most of those plans. The closest I could find just now going to the other website price wise to even what I am paying now has a slightly higher max out of pocket but the deductible is almost twice my current deductible.

Amazing how you can lose and still win.........

They didn't lose. They lost money on the PPACA crap but they made it up elsewhere. That is the problem people so keen on the PPACA do not seem to realize. You are not soaking CEO's. You are soaking people like me who do not get a subsidized policy but have our rates going up between 25-30% a year when it used to be half that, and it isn't like I am some billionaire. All that extra money gets parked in Wall Street or a bank and doesn't get spent locally where it could create some velocity to support businesses that could be creating jobs if they were not dumping so much into their own insurances and losing sales to people who have less discretionary income to spend.

Did you check the exchanges or did you just accept whatever plan your employer decided was in his best interests?

Neither. I do not have insurance through work and I make too much to get a subsidy, so I buy my insurance through an agent.

And the agent's primarily interested in his fee. Before this year's deadline, do yourself a favor and check this out:

It wouldn't but thanks. It quotes me a no subsidy second cheapest silver plan estimate. My plan is no longer offered to new subscribers but is generally better than the silver plans because I have a lower deductible than most of those plans. The closest I could find just now going to the other website price wise to even what I am paying now has a slightly higher max out of pocket but the deductible is almost twice my current deductible.

Yipe. Sorry that happened to you. Whoever wins the election in November, that will change. For better or for worse? Hard to tell. In any case it will be a bumpy road to single-payer, but that's where it's going. Hang in there.

Yipe. Sorry that happened to you. Whoever wins the election in November, that will change. For better or for worse? Hard to tell. In any case it will be a bumpy road to single-payer, but that's where it's going. Hang in there.

I don't see it getting any better under Hillary. If she cannot force me onto a worse exchange policy, I will continue to be soaked by the insurance companies to make up for their losses. The reason the government "saves" money is because the real subsidy comes off the government books from people like me.

I don't see it getting any better under Hillary. If she cannot force me onto a worse exchange policy, I will continue to be soaked by the insurance companies to make up for their losses. The reason the government "saves" money is because the real subsidy comes off the government books from people like me.

Trump's "policy" on health care, like everything else, seems to change with the prevailing wind. But the Clintons, husband and wife, tried to reform healthcare decades ago.

Single-payer has to happen. The U.S. is the only industrialized nation that allows the insurers to rule. It has to change. The insurers know this, so they're scrambling to grab every dollar they can until it does.

Trump's "policy" on health care, like everything else, seems to change with the prevailing wind. But the Clintons, husband and wife, tried to reform healthcare decades ago.

Single-payer has to happen. The U.S. is the only industrialized nation that allows the insurers to rule. It has to change. The insurers know this, so they're scrambling to grab every dollar they can until it does.

Single payer won't happen in our lifetimes. The logistics would be cold-war era russian to sort out.

Single payer won't happen in our lifetimes. The logistics would be cold-war era russian to sort out.

The biggest obstacle, IMO, will be the lobbyists. But the insurers never expected to be denied the "right" to lifetime caps and refusing customers with preexisting conditions, so they've been taking a hard look at the way they do business with, for example, pharma.

Get the pharma companies to stop charging obscene prices that the insurers now have to cover, and things will change.

No, it would not. Sign every one up by year groups in a medicare-type system, force health corporations to bid for contacts, and role it out over ten years.

No, it would not. Sign every one up by year groups in a medicare-type system, force health corporations to bid for contacts, and role it out over ten years.

How you can tell it's doomed to fail "Force health corporation..."
Drink you coffee, wash your face, then read what you posted, then read what I posted, and then reply more clearly. Please.

Yeah. It's kind of sad how fixated they are on single payer. And they don't seem to recognize that their deal with the devil was designed to prevent it, not bring it about.

Yeah. It's kind of sad how fixated they are on single payer. And they don't seem to recognize that their deal with the devil was designed to prevent it, not bring it about.

Whereas the only counter-argument the other side has is cryptic one-liners and cute but irrelevant little videos.

Whereas the only counter-argument the other side has is cryptic one-liners and cute but irrelevant little videos.

What 'argument' are you imagining needs to be countered?

What 'argument' are you imagining needs to be countered?

I'm not imagining.

Medicare works. I'm covered by it, and it is as good as any coverage I have ever had, except for the RX doughnut hole. This country should simply extend medicare eligibility to all ages, and allow insurance companies to compete with it, like they do with Advantage plans.

BTW it only took 12 months to roll out Medicare from July 1965, when the law was signed.

I wonder if this means I'll get my $2,500 savings and the doctor I liked.

Aetna, the third-largest health insurer in the US, said Tuesday that it is reconsidering its offerings on the state exchanges that make up the back-bone of the Affordable Care Act (ACA).

In a conference call following the company’s earnings announcement, CEO Mark Bertolini said that the firm has halted its plans to expand into two new states’ exchanges in 2017 and is looking into the reasons for losses in the exchanges it is currently participating in.

Here’s Bertolini (emphasis ours):

“In light of the disappointing year to date performance and updated 2016 projections for our individual on and off exchange products, combined with the significant structural challenges facing the public exchanges, we believe it is only prudent to reassess our level of participation on the public exchanges. Our initial action will be to withdraw our 2017 public exchange expansion plans. Additionally, given the deadline to attest to our final rate filings for 2017, we are also undertaking a complete evaluation of our current exchange footprint as the poor performance of these products warrants such an analysis.”

Keep reading…
I guess they're tired of losing money.

Hillary and Bill can spin shit into gold, but all Obama does is turn everything into shit.

Unfit, my ass.

Medicare works. I'm covered by it, and it is as good as any coverage I have ever had, except for the RX doughnut hole. This country should simply extend medicare eligibility to all ages, and allow insurance companies to compete with it, like they do with Advantage plans.

BTW it only took 12 months to roll out Medicare from July 1965, when the law was signed.

No doubt there were Luddites screaming about that at the time, too.

Forum List

Back