3 Statistics About Social Security That Are Frightening

Typically, we hear a lot of drama and get a lot of hand-wringing over the possibility of benefit cuts 16 years in the future. Comically enough most of the articles are talking about a fairly benign impact.

Here are three stats to worry about :

The Social Security Shortfall Is Growing Three Times Faster Than the US Economy.

In other words, the hole in the program’s finances is growing at three times the rate of our ability to fill it.

People Turning 70 Today expect to Be Alive When Benefits are Reduced

The problem of Social Security hasn't been about those 40 and younger in decades. Here is the SSA's life expectancy calcuator : Calculators: Life Expectancy

In 2016, The Program Lost More Money Than It Collected

We could have reduced benefits to zero for the entire year of 2016, and the program would have finished the year in worse shape than it started. "Loss" here is looking at the $ value of promises that we believe will go unfulfilled.

If you want the details, here is my article, but the stats are pretty simple.

No Way Around Sorry Shape Social Security Is In

How much will it cost to privatize it? And then how much will it cost per month to maintain it after privatization?

According to the SSA, up to $30 trillion(2015$s) depending upon whether you are going to provide benefits to existing retirees and those that have accrued benefits.

Is that the cost to change over?

That is just the cost of legacy benefits. That is the payment that goes to existing retirees, and those who have accrued benefits from past payments. Basically it is a phase-out where future retirees get less and less.
. Listen, how about where this nation is withdrawing from different programs in the world that was costing us billions, and the economy is getting on track now ?? It's crazy to say that we can't fix this thing, and restore the age scales to their proper scales at 62 minimum and 65 max. How can this nation forsake it's working retirement class when it comes their time after paying into a program over 40 years ? It's just downright robbery is what it is.

How much will it cost to privatize it? And then how much will it cost per month to maintain it after privatization?

According to the SSA, up to $30 trillion(2015$s) depending upon whether you are going to provide benefits to existing retirees and those that have accrued benefits.

That is just the cost of legacy benefits. That is the payment that goes to existing retirees, and those who have accrued benefits from past payments. Basically it is a phase-out where future retirees get less and less.

What is the rational behind not lifting the cap?

If you double the amount a rich guy pays, you double his benefit, how does that plug a hole?

They don't need it. How much does this plan scam tax payers out of? Forced accounts don't operate for free. How does that plug a hole?

Here is the exact cost:

-

But people lose all their benefits.

That isn't going to happen. So, since both the Dems and the Repubs are all about privatization especially with SS, what is the cost?

Around 30 trillion dollars, if people keep all their benefits.

Yes.

How you pay the $30 trillion is going to vary. Typically the promoters promise to keep the benefits untouched for those in or those approaching retirement. That is where most of the money is.

Anyone who promises to keep the benefits untouched, whether for privatization or not, is completely insane.

We don't have the 30 trillion dollars folks. Tax slavery for the children, because the parents voted in an utterly irresponsible way? Hell no, the parents go fuck themselves over their bad decisions..
. This country is on track to become one of the wealthiest nation's on the planet, but we are gonna listen to people telling us that we are broke ?? Why don't you just say the money was stolen and the program was mismanaged, now go screw yourselves ? It's the same thing.

If you double the amount a rich guy pays, you double his benefit, how does that plug a hole?

They don't need it. How much does this plan scam tax payers out of? Forced accounts don't operate for free. How does that plug a hole?

They don't need it.

Social Security isn't about need, it's about taxes in and benefits out.

How much does this plan scam tax payers out of?

Social Security takes 12.4% of your income up to $128,700 this year.

Agreed, but why do people not save for the future or for the possibility of financial hardship?

Because they know that government will always give them other peoples money.

If I knew I could ride my Harley at 110 every day and not get hurt, I would.

They don't need it.

The program he is talking about inserting will be scamming money from tax payers. How much will that be?

They don't need it.

The program he is talking about inserting will be scamming money from tax payers. How much will that be?

Link?

They don't need it.

Link?

Who's going to run that?

They don't need it.

Link?

Who's going to run that?

He? Be more specific. What program? Be more specific.

They don't need it.

Link?

Who's going to run that?

The OP

Here is the exact cost:

-

But people lose all their benefits.

That isn't going to happen. So, since both the Dems and the Repubs are all about privatization especially with SS, what is the cost?

Yes.

How you pay the $30 trillion is going to vary. Typically the promoters promise to keep the benefits untouched for those in or those approaching retirement. That is where most of the money is.

Anyone who promises to keep the benefits untouched, whether for privatization or not, is completely insane.

We don't have the 30 trillion dollars folks. Tax slavery for the children, because the parents voted in an utterly irresponsible way? Hell no, the parents go fuck themselves over their bad decisions..
. This country is on track to become one of the wealthiest nation's on the planet, but we are gonna listen to people telling us that we are broke ?? Why don't you just say the money was stolen and the program was mismanaged, now go screw yourselves ? It's the same thing.

What they want is the ability to invest it as they see fit. That's the scam.

They don't need it.

Link?

Who's going to run that?

The OP

I didn't see a program recommendation in the OP.

Link?

Who's going to run that?

The OP

I didn't see a program recommendation in the OP.

It was in the conversation I was having with him.

Yes.

The scam was when the government took the money and "invested" it as they saw fit, blowing it all.

Privatization would be a great idea. A true privatization, that is.

Yes.

The scam was when the government took the money and "invested" it as they saw fit, blowing it all.

no.

Agreed, but why do people not save for the future or for the possibility of financial hardship?

. So giving me a small percentage of what I paid in over 40 years back, is giving me other people's money ? Then I have to sit here watching government waste unhinged ?

Yes.

no.

Great argument!

With a private system, we would have avoided being in a hole by 30 trillion dollars, having to enslave our children to pay for it.

Your answer to that "no".

Thanks for your worthless opinion.

. So giving me a small percentage of what I paid in over 40 years now, is giving me other people's money ? Then. I have to sit here watching government waste unhinged ?

It is, because the government spent 100% of what you gave them over 40 years.

Giving money to governments, worst investment ever.

no.

Great argument!

With a private system, we would have avoided being in a hole by 30 trillion dollars, having to enslave our children to pay for it.

You aren't in the hole 30 trillion. Try again.

no.

Great argument!

You aren't in the hole 30 million. Try again.

No we are not. We are in the hole by 30 TRILLION. (One million times that). Reading comprehension...

Forum List

Back