2019 WHO Review Found "NO EVIDENCE" that Masks Stop Spread of Flu

mikegriffith1

Mike Griffith
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 23, 2012
Virginia
Well, well, come to find out that a 2019 WHO review of studies on wearing masks and other measures found "no evidence" that masks prevented the flu from spreading.

A study on masks and COVID-19 recently published in the New England Journal of Medicine states that "wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection." The study concludes that masks only offer people protection from COVID-19 "when circumstances compel them to be within 6 feet of others for sustained periods."

So why are so many governors still requiring people to wear masks inside stores, churches, businesses, etc.? If your line of work requires you to be within 6 feet of others for "sustained periods," then, yes, wearing a mask is wise; otherwise, there is no need to wear a mask.

If they make no difference why do doctors wear them?

But I should also note, the article doesn't claim what the title is saying.

To help stop THEM from infecting an open patient. Its not to stop the patient from giving them anything.

The article doesn't claim what the title is saying? The article claims it in the first sentence you dumb fuck.

To help stop THEM from infecting an open patient. Its not to stop the patient from giving them anything.

The article doesn't claim what the title is saying? The article claims it in the first sentence you dumb fuck.

Is that a bad thing?

"wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection."
Correct!

A mask only slows virus transmission from the infected person by about 30%. Those wearing the mask to prevent infection on themselves is useless as the sides of the mask are open and will not stop the microscopic virus.

Good! Keep that up.

The study concludes that masks only offer people protection from COVID-19 "when circumstances compel them to be within 6 feet of others for sustained periods."

So masks can protect people. They didn't find NO evidence like claimed.

"wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection."
Correct!

A mask only slows virus transmission from the infected person by about 30%. Those wearing the mask to prevent infection on themselves is useless as the sides of the mask are open and will not stop the microscopic virus.
Hey! Knock it off with the damn common sense. That shit is not tolerated!

Certain types of medical/surgical grade masks do offer some protection in controlled settings especially the N95 respiratory type. By controlled setting I'm referring to medical Isolation or surgical environments where the environment itself is strictly controlled and the users are trained in handling and disposal of contaminated materials.

Good! Keep that up.

The study concludes that masks only offer people protection from COVID-19 "when circumstances compel them to be within 6 feet of others for sustained periods."

Wrong... They reduce the viral load in the air from the infected person. The mask actually protects no one fully.

Is that a bad thing?

Not at all, but outside of an operating room they have little to no effect on anything. That could be because a doctor will wear a mask properly. "Face coverings" can be something as silly as a bandana or pulling your shirt over your face, neither of which do ANYTHING to stop a virus.

I don't know if you understand this, but in the scientific world, something untrue until proven true. So masks have to be PROVEN to be effective before you can say they are, and there is not a single piece of scientific evidence that shows they do anything but increase respiratory illnesses because people reuse dirty masks.

Certain types of medical/surgical grade masks do offer some protection in controlled settings especially the N95 respiratory type. By controlled setting I'm referring to medical Isolation or surgical environments where the environment itself is strictly controlled and the users are trained in handling and disposal of contaminated materials.

One can certainly argue that the way many misuse masks make it as safe as wearing no mask at all but that wasn't the argument.

Well, well, come to find out that a 2019 WHO review of studies on wearing masks and other measures found "no evidence" that masks prevented the flu from spreading.

A study on masks and COVID-19 recently published in the New England Journal of Medicine states that "wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection." The study concludes that masks only offer people protection from COVID-19 "when circumstances compel them to be within 6 feet of others for sustained periods."

So why are so many governors still requiring people to wear masks inside stores, churches, businesses, etc.? If your line of work requires you to be within 6 feet of others for "sustained periods," then, yes, wearing a mask is wise; otherwise, there is no need to wear a mask.
There is more known about the virus now. People around the world are wearing mazks, except for Trump. Look what happened to him.

Good! Keep that up.

Wrong... They reduce the viral load in the air from the infected person. The mask actually protects no one fully.

Who said it protects people "fully"? The argument here was that the study found NO benefit.

Is that a bad thing?

Not at all, but outside of an operating room they have little to no effect on anything.

That isn't what the article says.

Good! Keep that up.

Who said it protects people "fully"? The argument here was that the study found NO benefit.
You think 2% is a viable effect?

Except during surgery, they don't normally.
And doctors also know how to prevent physical contact spread while putting on and taking off masks.
The rest of us don't, so make masks sort of useless.

Good! Keep that up.

You think 2% is a viable effect?

If you have that study you can post it. I do NOT know what exactly is the best answer. I do know that misrepresenting things is never the best one.

There is more known about the virus now. People around the world are wearing mazks, except for Trump. Look what happened to him.

What is known about covid-19 is that since 90% of those infected are turning out to be asymptomatic, then we actually were very close to herd immunity all along.
In which case then we could have sacrificed about 50,000 people in March, and totally eliminated the virus completely then. That would have saved all those who died after March from covid-19.
So then the whole "flattening the curve", and "social distancing" strategy with masks, was a bad idea that should never have been done.

Forum List

Back