2019 top ten most expensive states to live in.....and the winner is.............

No surprise, except for Alaska which has an excuse due to pretty much all goods needing to be shipped in, all deep blue states. California most expensive in the lower 48. Such a shock.

America's 10 most expensive states to live in 2019

10. (tie) New Jersey

10. (tie) Rhode Island

8. Connecticut

7. Alaska

6. Oregon

5. Maryland

4. Massachusetts

3. New York

2. California

1. Hawaii
I don't know about price, but according to my mom, Connecticut isn't anything to write home about where friendliness is concerned.

She's right about that --- sort of. When you have people packed in tightly together, that's the result, and that's the basic character of that densely populated corridor between roughly Boston and Washington. Get outside of that density, even in Connecticut, and the people get much nicer.

But we can't make a blanket statement about an entire state. Connecticut isn't big as states go but it does have diversity -- life in a little rural town like Wilton is going to be much different from that in Hartford, or as I call it the boil on New England's bum. It's really the difference between being packed in and having space.
My mom's favorite thing about being up there was the snow.

God bless you and her always!!!

Holly

I love snow myself. We got some here about a week ago. Did y'all get it on the other side of the mountain?
We got 2-3 inches last Tuesday. It started around 4 AM.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

In what universe does a higher cost indicate a lower quality product?
In this universe when that product is quality of life.

Of course for the very rich with their life behind walls and gates with their security people life will be good as long as they
don't stray from their enclaves.
For the normal average people life in California is likely no better at all than life in Mississippi and probably much worse in many ways.

If people can't afford it here, then they should go somewhere cheaper. Similarly, people who can only afford bologna shouldn't be paying for prime rib.

How they manage their money is up to them. But prime rib is still better than bologna.

Mmmmmmm, such tasty prime rib !

09California-Today-sd-jumbo by

Yet people are willing to pay more to be here. Why do you suppose that is?

You know, higher quality products tend to cost more. People pay more for Ferrari's than they do for some run-down POS car. Such a difficult concept to understand, isn't it?

And people pay insane prices to live in San Francisco, and if you think that's a Ferrari, fine, to me however it's insane since I don't see the quality of life that you apparently do. I see insane traffic, air pollution, insufficient natural resources, extreme wildfires, ridiculous energy rates, and especially too many fucking people.
I'm betting a good deal of Californians just don't realize that there is so much better out there. I was born and raised in Southern California, and once I began to travel, I found this country is packed with places where there is so much more than shiny glitz. You wanna blow your money, be my guest.

Of course you, a conservative, don't think highly of San Francisco. It's adorable that you think you have a meaningful opinion on this, but you don't dictate the market value of that city, do you? The market value speaks for itself.

We could find some random idiot who doesn't see what's so great about Ferrari's too, but that doesn't change the consensus market value that it has.

Of course for the very rich with their life behind walls and gates with their security people life will be good as long as they
For the normal average people life in California is likely no better at all than life in Mississippi and probably much worse in many ways.

If people can't afford it here, then they should go somewhere cheaper. Similarly, people who can only afford bologna shouldn't be paying for prime rib.

How they manage their money is up to them. But prime rib is still better than bologna.

You know, higher quality products tend to cost more. People pay more for Ferrari's than they do for some run-down POS car. Such a difficult concept to understand, isn't it?

And people pay insane prices to live in San Francisco, and if you think that's a Ferrari, fine, to me however it's insane since I don't see the quality of life that you apparently do. I see insane traffic, air pollution, insufficient natural resources, extreme wildfires, ridiculous energy rates, and especially too many fucking people.
I'm betting a good deal of Californians just don't realize that there is so much better out there. I was born and raised in Southern California, and once I began to travel, I found this country is packed with places where there is so much more than shiny glitz. You wanna blow your money, be my guest.

Of course you, a conservative, don't think highly of San Francisco. It's adorable that you think you have a meaningful opinion on this, but you don't dictate the market value of that city, do you? The market value speaks for itself.

We could find some random idiot who doesn't see what's so great about Ferrari's too, but that doesn't change the consensus market value that it has.

You want to spend more of your money for the same thing, knock yourself out.
I have beautiful mountain views, cleaner air, much less traffic, much lower energy costs, and no bums shitting on the sidewalks outside my front door, and I pay a fraction of what morons living in the bay area pay.

I have beautiful mountain views, cleaner air, much less traffic, much lower energy costs, and no bums shitting on the sidewalks outside my front door, and I pay a fraction of what morons living in the bay area pay.
I used to work with a woman who had to have a BMW though it was overly expensive to maintain and insure.
But she bought a car she really couldn't afford because of the prestige. San Francisco is like that BMW for many fools.
Something that can barely be afforded and more trouble than it's worth.

That helps to explain California’s homeless problem. Too expensive maybe to afford a place to live.

I think you have it backwards. It costs more to live in California because of all the homeless they are taking care of.

Homeless go to California because they are welcome there- Cal's reputation is that they have a lot of rich people there with a lot of change to spare..
it costs more to live there even before the homeless started showing up....

That helps to explain California’s homeless problem. Too expensive maybe to afford a place to live.

I think you have it backwards. It costs more to live in California because of all the homeless they are taking care of.

Homeless go to California because they are welcome there- Cal's reputation is that they have a lot of rich people there with a lot of change to spare..

I know if I were a bum, I'd go to California, maybe the city of Venice. Venice has a great pro wrestling tradition, as the hometown of both Sting and Hulk Hogan.

In what universe does a higher cost indicate a lower quality product?

i can get the same higher quality products in Nevada...

"Slow wage growth and inflation"? What world is CNBC living in? The survey is allegedly based on the cost of housing and basic items. Are gas prices included? There are no higher gas prices than California or housing costs for that matter and everything is taxed at the highest rate yet the state doesn't make the top ten. Something is screwed up here.

I wouldn't expect a conservative to have a fond view of the bay area. That's obvious.

But the market value suggests that other people see something there that you don't. I'm happy for you preferring something less expensive though. That works out pretty well for you - kind of like someone who happily prefers bologna over prime rib.

San Francisco has always been expensive to live in. There is no more land to build on.
Apartments and homes there are very costly.

At least before the homeless explosion you were getting your money's worth. Now you are still paying plenty of money
and also your environment is, at the same time, becoming more and more degraded and dangerous.

Paying more and more and getting less and less. What's not to love?

I wouldn't expect a conservative to have a fond view of the bay area. That's obvious.

But the market value suggests that other people see something there that you don't. I'm happy for you preferring something less expensive though. That works out pretty well for you - kind of like someone who happily prefers bologna over prime rib.

I don't think you get it , XC.

Libs think that its a positive to have bums shitting on the sidewalk in front of the house.

Conservatives don't. That's why they prefer to live in areas like Appalachia and the Rust Belt, where that kind of behavior isn't looked upon that highly.

How many times are you going to use this same dimwitted line? Nobody prefers bologna over prime rib.
And how do you like your prime rib, sir? With or without heroin needles and homeless fecal matter?

So you’re thinking people who are homeless get into their cars and drive or fly to Cali?

yeah, you’re stupid

I don't think you get it , XC.

Libs think that its a positive to have bums shitting on the sidewalk in front of the house.

Conservatives don't. That's why they prefer to live in areas like Appalachia and the Rust Belt, where that kind of behavior isn't looked upon that highly.

I'm familiar with the same talking points that you guys all regurgitate like parrots.

The bay area offers much more in terms of professional careers that rural towns don't.

So you’re thinking people who are homeless get into their cars and drive or fly to Cali?

yeah, you’re stupid

Bums know how to ride the rails as well as how to hitchhike.

It isn't like a bum has a job to be on time to. If it takes them a week, or a month, to drift into Los Angeles, its not a big deal

How many times are you going to use this same dimwitted line? Nobody prefers bologna over prime rib.
And how do you like your prime rib, sir? With or without heroin needles and homeless fecal matter?

I don't think it's so complicated but you guys really can't seem to get a grasp on this for some reason.

How about you explain to me why some things cost more than other things. Shouldn't be too hard for you. Go.

I don't think it's so complicated but you guys really can't seem to get a grasp on this for some reason.
Funny. You seem to think that because something cost twice as much
it is inherently twice as valuable. That's just not so.

How about you explain to me why some things cost more than other things. Shouldn't be too hard for you. Go.
Things cost what someone is willing to pay. Period!
The cost of my home in Napa Valley (about fifty miles north of S.F.) wouldn't buy a house even half as nice in San Francisco, if I could even find such a home for sale there.
But even if I could, the cost of all the intangible quality of life factors could never be replicated in crowded, crime filled, filthy over priced San Francisco. Never!

Remove your head from your rectum and look around. My children lived and worked in SF and I went to school there. I know what I'm talking about.

Well as PT always said, there's a sucker born every minute. If you guys think it's worth, then you're free to give your money away. Do realize though, millions of us see that it's not worth the land it's built on. You may see Ferrari, I see a Ford minivan at a Ferrari price.

Funny. You seem to think that because something cost twice as much
it is inherently twice as valuable. That's just not so.

Things cost what someone is willing to pay. Period!
The cost of my home in Napa Valley (about fifty miles north of S.F.) wouldn't buy a house even half as nice in San Francisco, if I could even find such a home for sale there.
But even if I could, the cost of all the intangible quality of life factors could never be replicated in crowded, crime filled, filthy over priced San Francisco. Never!

Remove your head from your rectum and look around. My children lived and worked in SF and I went to school there. I know what I'm talking about.

Right. Things cost what people are willing to pay. People are willing to pay higher amounts of money for things that they perceive as better.

Great, thanks.

Well as PT always said, there's a sucker born every minute. If you guys think it's worth, then you're free to give your money away. Do realize though, millions of us see that it's not worth the land it's built on. You may see Ferrari, I see a Ford minivan at a Ferrari price.

Hey Eric Arthur Blair,

Why did you decide to live in Napa Valley? It would have been a lot cheaper to live in Mobile, Alabama. Why are you willing to pay more to live in Napa Valley?

This person thinks you're a sucker, apparently, because you're spending more money than you would have in Mississippi or Alabama.

Are you "giving your money away" like this person says?

Forum List

Back