2-yr-old girl, mother mauled by pit bull as mother tries to fight with her bare hands

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
Still makes me wonder why people keep pit bulls as pets. Sounds almost like keeping a rattlesnake, and giving it the run of the neighborhood. I had a boxer, and he caused enough trouble, but he didn't attack or maul anybody. Nor did any other boxers I ever heard of.

But the other thing that occurred to me was... if the mother had had a handgun in her pruse, her daughter probably wouldn't be nearly as torn up now, as she is. But in this incident, the mother apparently had nothing but her bare hands, to fight off the pit bull. She sailed in and fought the dog, of course. But apparently the fight went on and on, until a cop finally arrived and used his weapon to shoot the dog, which ended the fight. Result: Mother injured, daughter BADLY injured. And either or both of them could have been killed, before the cop finally arrived.

If the mother had had a handgun nearby, and had practiced with it, the fight with the dog would have been over a lot sooner, and very likely the injuries would have been a lot less.

Firearms. They aren't just for fighting off bad GUYS. Too bad so many politicians and other leftists think law-abiding people shouldn't have them. If they weren't so hysterical on the subject, maybe that woman's little daughter wouldn't be in a hospital with half her face torn off right now.

------------------------------------------

League City police shoot dog as it mauls mother and child - Houston Chronicle

League City police shoot dog as it mauls mother and child

By Dale Lezon | March 31, 2014 | Updated: March 31, 2014 10:58am

A mother and her 2-year-old daughter were rushed to the hospital after a dog attacked them at an apartment in League City.

The attack occurred about 8:45 a.m. in the 2800 E. League City Parkway, said Officer Reagan Pena, a spokeswoman for the League City Police Department.

Pena said when officers arrived, a very aggressive pit bull dog was mauling the child and her mother was trying to protect her. An officer was forced to shoot and kill the canine to stop the attack.

Pena said preliminary information indicated the woman was pet-sitting the dog, which belonged to her boyfriend. It was not known what prompted the attack.

Pena said the child was flown by LifeFlight medical helicopter to Memorial Hermann hospital while her mother was taken by ambulance to the same hospital. The girl had severe injuries on her head and face. Her mother had injuries on her arms and hands.

This happens so often, and people think it is okay to have pit bulls in a home with children. So sad.

I'm not in favor of firearms. The solution to the problem is to eradicate all pit bulls. Remove them from the planet: they are a menace, especially to children.

Last edited:
This happens so often, and people think it is okay to have pitbulls in a home with children. So sad.

How often per capita and as a percentage vs. other dogs?

(we did this thread over like 100 pages)

This happens so often, and people think it is okay to have pitbulls in a home with children. So sad.

Not this story, it just happened today.

No I know.

I meant the whole debate on whether or not people should own pitbulls.

After all the stats and what not were bickered about for pages and pages and pages, the general consensus/conclusion based on all the facts is that no small child should be left alone with any large dog and that pitbulls aren't the big bad wolf typically.

If the woman had had a gun nearby, and had practiced with it, her daughter (and her own self) would probably be a lot less injured than they are now.

What more reason does she need, to own and carry a gun?

It used to be rottwielers, before that german shepherds, Cujo was about a St. Bernard.

yepp

misinformation and sensationalism skews perception, skews reality

in reality, its not necessarily dangerous to own a pitbull theyre typically one of the most loyal and friendliest/most obedient dogs...............

but it is dangerous to put large beasts who do not speak a lick of English alone with young defenseless children because - shit happens

Together,*pit bulls*(25) and*rottweilers*(1), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 81% of the total recorded deaths in 2013.
In the 9-year period from 2005 to 2013, pit bulls killed 176 Americans and accounted for 62% of the total recorded deaths (283). Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers accounted for 74% of these deaths.*..

2013 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - Dog Bite Statistics - DogsBite.org
more at link

Together,*pit bulls*(25) and*rottweilers*(1), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 81% of the total recorded deaths in 2013.
In the 9-year period from 2005 to 2013, pit bulls killed 176 Americans and accounted for 62% of the total recorded deaths (283). Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers accounted for 74% of these deaths.*..

more at link

Exactly, these were reviewed ad nauseum.

Per capita, meaning total pit bulls out there versus pit bull attacks, the chances of one attacking are infinitely small.

I'm guessing that the fight between the dog and the child was not stagnant. Mom probably would have shot her daughter trying to shoot the dog.

There is no legitimate reason for having a dog where another breed is not a better choice than a pit. It's not the breed's fault for being what it is, but there is no need for one as a pet.

more at link

Exactly, these were reviewed ad nauseum.

Per capita, meaning total pit bulls out there versus pit bull attacks, the chances of one attacking are infinitely small.

Dogs should not kill people and they do it way more than any other breed. Biting can be defensive, killing is something else entirely.

more at link

Some perspective:

Comparison%20of%20Injury%20Fatalities%20in%20the%20United%20States.jpg

That's about 1 fatality per 2.5 million dogs.

This happens so often, and people think it is okay to have pit bulls in a home with children. So sad.

I'm not in favor of firearms. The solution to the problem is to eradicate all pit bulls. Remove them from the planet: they are a menace, especially to children.

The dog in the original Little Rascals is a pit. Helen Keller owned one as well. Its the owners/breeders not the dogs. They are an amazing breed of dog.

I know so many people who defend pit bulls and say that they are only as mean as their owners taught them to be. That is likely true with most domesticated animals, but pit bulls aren't totally domesticated. Any wild animal, or part wild animal can turn on people, even their owners. I just wouldn't recommend pit bulls for families with children or those live in city limits.

I'm sure pit bulls are quite lovable to most owners, but given that they have that wild streak, it may be best to keep them away from the population and ensure that laws regarding leashes or fences be adhered to. Any dog can attack, if provoked, which is why we have such laws.

I just want a dog that barks when someone is on the property, my little Jack Russell does that well.

I would never have a dog that could kill people, I'll do that part myself

more at link

Some perspective:

Comparison%20of%20Injury%20Fatalities%20in%20the%20United%20States.jpg

That's about 1 fatality per 2.5 million dogs.

That's a higher percentage than people killed by so called assault rifles.

Forum List

Back