Votes: 21 87.5%
  • I havent read it,but I have read a summary

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I havent read it,but I have heard of it

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • I havent heard of it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
All those types of books are great! If you like it I recommend "We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin (the first of this type of book and IMO the best), "Brave New World," "The Giver," and V FOR VENDETTA THE GRAPHIC NOVEL (the best of the bunch) :thup:
Read 1984 in high school (pre 1984). My 12 y/o has to read The Giver this year. I intend to download it to my tablet and read along. Need to keep up with the English departments reading lists.
Has The Giver replaced Lord of the Flies?

I first read 1984 in 1984. Pretty prescient for something written in 1948. I only hope he didn't realize things would get even worse than his distopian imagination.

Orwell knew that things could get much, much worse. He fought in the Spanish Civil War in the 1930s, with POUM, on the Republican side. He was wounded, recovered, & fought in the trenches. He saw firsthand the shameless political maneuvering & credit-taking by the Soviets - & he never kept quiet about it. He & his wife (?) had to flee Spain - the Soviets orchestrated a smear campaign against POUM, Orwell, & anyone else who wouldn't toe the line nor be coopted.

This is one of the reasons that the Right likes to claim Orwell too - he would speak his mind regardless of how awkward it was for him personally. We need more like him in journalism & letters - people willing to speak the truth, no matter whose ox gets gored, even if it's their own.

The Giver is for young adults and is awful.

Take that stick out of your ass and try again please.

Stick-free. The book is for preteens, and it sucks anyway.

Fine. Don't let your kids read it. Deprive them of something they might find interesting. Good for you :rolleyes:

I don't care if Lowry is your niece, it still sucks. It's clumsy and obvious.

Yet you keep posting about it :eusa_think:

Forum List

Back