1977 "Black Diamond" Nylon 66 .22 Rifle

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked-up this 1977 Nylon 66 BD today in very nice shape. First year production for that variation.

bd 001 (2).JPG

Remington made them from 1977 - 1990. The BD was also the last Nylon 66 variation produced. The variation is not particularly "rare" with 55,673 examples made but I always wanted one.

They bring around $600 for one in like condition now and this is the first one I've seen priced under $400.00 for years. I have $225.00 in it.

I still have my old Nylon 66 in Mohawk Brown from my early teens. It has had many thousands of rounds through it and it still shoots great.

I picked-up this 1977 Nylon 66 BD today in very nice shape. First year production for that variation.

View attachment 617265

Remington made them from 1977 - 1990. The BD was also the last Nylon 66 variation produced. The variation is not particularly "rare" with 55,673 examples made but I always wanted one.

They bring around $600 for one in like condition now and this is the first one I've seen priced under $400.00 for years. I have $225.00 in it.

I still have my old Nylon 66 in Mohawk Brown from my early teens. It has had many thousands of rounds through it and it still shoots great.

They are remarkably good little rifles.

View attachment 617265

I have always wondered how the synthetic type stock and forearms hold up over time as opposed to wood. from your post, it seems they hold up just as well.?

I have always wondered how the synthetic type stock and forearms hold up over time as opposed to wood. from your post, it seems they hold up just as well.?

So long as you don't expose them to the Sun for great periods of time they will be okay. Lots of Sun exposure will make the plastic brittle however.

So long as you don't expose them to the Sun for great periods of time they will be okay. Lots of Sun exposure will make the plastic brittle however.
Not useful for an active hunter who spends a lot of time outdoors in all weather conditions. :thup:

I was a bad boy this weekend too. My local gun show had a real nice early Hand Ejector .22LR that the dealer misidentified as a Model 17 so I picked it up for a reasonable cost.

Attachments

• DSC_0044.JPG
    DSC_0044.JPG
    294.7 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0043.JPG
    DSC_0043.JPG
    275 KB · Views: 28
Not useful for an active hunter who spends a lot of time outdoors in all weather conditions. :thup:
Negative, in fact they are almost the perfect rifle for bad conditions. They are very popular in Alaska due to their self lubricating properties and as far as the sun hurting them goes I've never heard tell of it. More like old Fudd BS from those that were intimidated by them.

I doubt I could even begin to count the number of hours I had my old N-66 out in weather of all types. I just kept a piece of electrical tape over the muzzle for when it rained or I was wading across a creek or river. GTG.

From Remington:
Nylon is self-lubricating and provides slip-smooth bearing surfaces for the free movement of the autoloading action. Therefore, cleaning and oiling is unnecessary for thousands of rounds of firing.

They were not wrong either. If a man would simply paint the metal (mainly the sheet metal cover) with say black Rust-Oleum I suspect it would make for one heck of a trouble free "survival" rifle.

Now, all that said other than removing the magazine, charging handle, action cover, and barrel....STOP!!!! DO NOT TAKE IT APART further unless you have some skills and the patience of Job. ;)

One thing more, due to the sheet metal cover they are very easy to over-scope scope weight wise. I've found the old 7/8" Weaver D and V series scopes to work perfectly on them. I've had the same Weaver D-4 on my old N-66 for around 49 years, still dead on. A V-22 I have squirreled away will go on the BD.

Last edited:
I was a bad boy this weekend too. My local gun show had a real nice early Hand Ejector .22LR that the dealer misidentified as a Model 17 so I picked it up for a reasonable cost.
Nice!

I found a excellent first year production (1930) Colt Officer's Target .22 a few months back.

c-002-2-jpg.761377

A local shop has it's .38 Special bigger brother but the guy that has it on consignment wants way too much for it.....Still tempted though. ;)

Nice!

I found a excellent first year production (1930) Colt Officer's Target .22 a few months back.

c-002-2-jpg.761377

A local shop has it's .38 Special bigger brother but the guy that has it on consignment wants way too much for it.....Still tempted though. ;)

That's a nice one with the factory letter. I bought a 1911 made in 1914 that has a factory letter to the police department in El Paso Texas.

I had a mohawk brown too. Long time, great rifle in any condition. Look what the trick shooter did with it, Don Frye? They tossed up over 100K small wood blocks, he missed 6.

I had a mohawk brown too. Long time, great rifle in any condition. Look what the trick shooter did with it, Don Frye? They tossed up over 100K small wood blocks, he missed 6.
I read where Remington made a couple full auto versions for testing and the cyclic rate was very high with never a stoppage during testing......I bet that was a hoot. ;)

Ad Topperwein was his name. Don Frye is a MMA fighter.

I read where Remington made a couple full auto versions for testing and the cyclic rate was very high with never a stoppage during testing......I bet that was a hoot. ;)

I used to own an AM-180. 2200rpm, and no recoil. You could write your name with it.

Remington Nylon 66 - Wikipedia I can confirm the info in this link about getting a big game with .22 long rifle ammo. My dad had a semi-auto .22 got everything from deer to wild hogs with his. Me the same with my single shot until the rules changed.
Oh I killed lots of deer with a .22 back when my grandfather had a farm and he got kill permits for them.

He had a old Winchester Model 04 single-shot fitted with a equally old Maxim Suppressor. He and his brother went in together on it sometime just after WW-1, I figure in the 20s. It was a dead-balls accurate little .22.

Back then you just ordered it and and it came to your door. Put a .22 either between the eye/ear or the back of the head of a deer and they pile right up.

Funny thing though, granddad never deer hunted, just small game/turkey.

I never did find out what happened to that old .22. He put it up when we bought him a scoped Remington 580 single shot because he had trouble seeing the irons. I never saw it again, I guess one of his kids took it along with the old cane gun in .32 rimfire he had.

I used to own an AM-180. 2200rpm, and no recoil. You could write your name with it.
LOL....VADOC had a few of those for riot work at the old Virginia State Pen. They would put them in the towers and brrrrt into the courtyard when the convicts got froggy.....Different times.....Hell they shot rats with a scoped Model 52 .22 at night.

I worked there for about three months in the 70s (riot watch) and I would go in through the sally port and there would be a baker's dozen rats there to be disposed of with the trash.....LOL....There were .22 pock marks all over the place due to years of the practice.

Last edited:

View attachment 617265

My cousin had one of them back in the 60’s. Learned how to shoot with it. Fun little rifle.

That is a great 22 rifle. Love the pistol too. Would love to have either one. Have a few that i mostly inherited. But only use a 22 pistol and 20 gauge shot gun mostly.

Forum List

Back