1967 Ruger 10-22

Guys invest thousands in High accuracy 10/22 builds to point that EVERY part of the Rifle is not Factory or original to the Rifle .

Guys invest thousands in High accuracy 10/22 builds to point that EVERY part of the Rifle is not Factory or original to the Rifle .
That's true. I am part of a small group and we do real long range shooting with our 10/22s. All the way out to 500 yards.

It's a real hoot when you get them dialed in. We have a 20" steel plate we use as our target, and it is very gratifying to see the impact.

The time of flight is about 2 seconds, so you can watch it through the scope.

I have a 25 year old Ruger 10-22 that I am trying to get a little more accurate.

I am not talking match competition accurate but a little better than came from the factory.

It has the SS barrel and can hit 'minute of squirrel' all day long but I think I can do a little better.

Last week I order a BX trigger group. It has a 2.5 lb pull and a major improvement over the factory group.

I also adjusted the mag feed so the mag seats tighter. Not hard to do.

My next purchase will be to get a better after market bolt group. The reviews say that the ones from Faxon are damn good at a reasonable price. Will order that after New Years. I'll also get a new charging handle and spring.

I have a vintage Savage Springfield 4X scope on it now but plan to trade it out for a Leupold VX III 2-7x.

I am not going to go the route of getting a competition barrel.

That's true. I am part of a small group and we do real long range shooting with our 10/22s. All the way out to 500 yards.

It's a real hoot when you get them dialed in. We have a 20" steel plate we use as our target, and it is very gratifying to see the impact.

The time of flight is about 2 seconds, so you can watch it through the scope.
What ammo do you use for 500 yds?

I found this 1967 Ruger 10-22 today for $150.00. It was very lightly used for a 56 year old .22 plinker.

I was happy to find a all-metal/black walnut stocked early example for a decent price.....MSRP back then was around $60.00 which is like $553.00 today......Just goes to show how badly our dollar's buying power has declined.

View attachment 852673

I thought it "worthy enough" to top it with a '83 4X Leupold Rimfire Special scope I found at the local flea market last month. It's proportioned well to the carbine.

It's a bit odd as the serial number has a D prefix meaning it's a duplicate serial number....Seems like they had that happen a lot that year for some reason....There's a small premium attached to such "D" guns.

The 10/22 was the first rifle I ever fired, at Boy Scout camp when I was ten. So many good memories. It's the one my daughters learned to shoot with, too.

I don't have my range card handy, but 420 inches is a good estimate. Velocity is going to be around 650 to 680 fps.

35 feet, wow!

I have a couple old Mosin 91s, and they have this rear sight that's adjustable up to 2,000 meters, and when it's up that high, the barrel is like 45 degrees up from the ground. It's nuts.

1703797386883.png

35 feet, wow!

I have a couple old Mosin 91s, and they have this rear sight that's adjustable up to 2,000 meters, and when it's up that high, the barrel is like 45 degrees up from the ground. It's nuts.

View attachment 879938

Yeah, we have special mounts for our scopes because the angles are so high. Depending on the atmospheric conditions we are shooting at between 38 and 42 degrees.

I don't have my range card handy, but 420 inches is a good estimate. Velocity is going to be around 650 to 680 fps.
Muzzle velocity for Federal Match .22 is around 1200 FPS.

I am very surprised that at 500 yds it will still be 600+ FPS.

Is that calculated? No practical way of measuring it.

Muzzle velocity for Federal Match .22 is around 1200 FPS.

I am very surprised that at 500 yds it will still be 600+ FPS.

Is that calculated? No practical way of measuring it.
Yes, that is calculated. And it's muzzle velocity is 1080 fps. You have to remember, by the time it is at 500 yards, it is coming DOWN the mountain so the deceleration due to aerodynamic drag is countered a bit.

Yes, that is calculated. And it's muzzle velocity is 1080 fps. You have to remember, by the time it is at 500 yards, it is coming DOWN the mountain so the deceleration due to aerodynamic drag is countered a bit.
This 10-22 I talked about above will be zeroed at 50 yds. I will use the BDC in the Leupold scope to be somewhat accurate at 100yds. To me that is the limit of the practical use of the 22 out of the 18 inch carbine barrel.

Of course it would be fun to do what you are doing and shoot at distance just to see if it can be done.

This 10-22 I talked about above will be zeroed at 50 yds. I will use the BDC in the Leupold scope to be somewhat accurate at 100yds. To me that is the limit of the practical use of the 22 out of the 18 inch carbine barrel.

Of course it would be fun to do what you are doing and shoot at distance just to see if it can be done.

These guys don't approach it like us. We are far more methodical. But, it gives you an idea of what is possible. We get some pretty good groups at 500. My best is a 10.2" over 5 rounds. But our champ did a 6.77", little bastard!

These guys don't approach it like us. We are far more methodical. But, it gives you an idea of what is possible. We get some pretty good groups at 500. My best is a 10.2" over 5 rounds. But our champ did a 6.77", little bastard!

That's quite a feat at 500 yards considering a heartbeat can throw a .22 off. :bow3::bow2::bowdown:

Yeah, like I said, we are VERY methodical. It's not just about hitting the target. We want to get the best possible group as well. And we are VERY competitive! :auiqs.jpg:
I would think that with a 40 gr .22 bullet even a light wind gust would affect it quite a bit at 500 yds.

I would think that with a 40 gr .22 bullet even a light wind gust would affect it quite a bit at 500 yds.

You would be absolutely correct. We can only do that sort of shooting early in the morning when there is no breeze at all. If the conditions aren't good, we shoot other things, so our range time is never wasted.

You would be absolutely correct. We can only do that sort of shooting early in the morning when there is no breeze at all. If the conditions aren't good, we shoot other things, so our range time is never wasted.
We have a 1000 yd range not too far from where I live here in Florida.

I am not one of them but there is a very dedicated group of long distance shooters. They take it very seriously.

They also only shoot early in the morning but it is not necessary because of the wind. We don't have the wind here like they do out west (except when a hurricane hits). The main problem they deal with is the mirage. After about 10:30 or so when it heats up the mirage is a deal breaker.

Forum List

Back