1955 Ruger Standard .22 Pistol

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked up this 1955 Ruger Standard today for $150.00....It came with a extra mag and a old Hunter holster. Lots of holster wear but it was clean as a pin. When I broke it down I was sorta disappointed in that there was not much to clean.

It looks as if it could go another 67 years with no trouble at all.

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

I picked up this 1955 Ruger Standard today for $150.00....It came with a extra mag and a old Hunter holster. Lots of holster wear but it was clean as a pin. When I broke it down I was sorta disappointed in that there was not much to clean.

It looks as if it could go another 67 years with no trouble at all.

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

It probably can. They are well made pistols but i have to admit i have never been a fan. I am a High Standard person myself.

It probably can. They are well made pistols but i have to admit i have never been a fan. I am a High Standard person myself.
I get that!

I have a old H-S Supermatic Trophy Military that's simply amazing.

Over time however the Rugers are tougher, especially in the spring department. Their triggers are not near as good unless you work on them and even then it's not as good as a H-S trigger out of the box.

I've seen a lot of peened H-S and Colt Woodman autos over the years due to weak springs. Of course that's a maintenance issue. That and they were better used with standard velocity ammo rather than the hotter stuff the Rugers seem to be able to handle with no issues.

I get that!

I have a old H-S Supermatic Trophy Military that's simply amazing.

Over time however the Rugers are tougher, especially in the spring department. Their triggers are not near as good unless you work on them and even then it's not as good as a H-S trigger out of the box.

I've seen a lot of peened H-S and Colt Woodman autos over the years due to weak springs. Of course that's a maintenance issue. That and they were better used with standard velocity ammo rather than the hotter stuff the Rugers seem to be able to handle with no issues.

I have four High Standards, from an original OSS suppressed to my Victor. The early pistols do indeed have spring issues, but the Victor never has. Time and technology. Besides, springs are easy to change. I probably have the most rounds through my HD-Military. I just love that pistol.

I have four High Standards, from an original OSS suppressed to my Victor. The early pistols do indeed have spring issues, but the Victor never has. Time and technology. Besides, springs are easy to change. I probably have the most rounds through my HD-Military. I just love that pistol.
A spring change is the first thing I do on a vintage .22 semi-auto H-S or Colt.....Even if I think it does not need it.....$12.00 +/- worth of cheap insurance. ;)

Forum List

Back