1902 M1898 Krag Rifle

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked-up this 1902 M1898 Krag rifle in .30 US Army (.30-40 Krag) in just good shape today. I wanted it as a shooter as it has a really nice bore. It's solid with no cracks and works fine...Only about 50% finish left on the metal....I'm into it to the tune of $650.00 so I really can't complain.

k 001 (2).JPG

I got a nice surprise when I pried opened the buttplate trap.....It's three-piece cleaning rod set and it's oiler. :)

k 006 (2).JPG

The rifle that won the Boxer Rebellion, the Spanish–American War and the Philippine–American War...

Sweet!

I use 30-40 Krag cases to make British .303 cases: Resize them, trim them down, anneal the necks, and they're ready to go.

The rifle that won the Boxer Rebellion, the Spanish–American War and the Philippine–American War...

Sweet!

I use 30-40 Krag cases to make British .303 cases: Resize them, trim them down, anneal the necks, and they're ready to go.
Yeah, I got to work on it a bit as there is some scale on it I need to get off and maybe rub in a couple coats of raw linseed oil. I don't think it was ever sanded just worn-down from use.

There was a brass rack tag affixed to the heel of the stock so I suspect it "served" in some NG unit or a military academy....I don't know what the A is that's stamped above it.

2 002 (3).JPG

The Philippine–American War ended in 1902 so I don't know if my example made it there or not. I know that some M1898s ended-up there and were used by the Philippine Constabulary.

There is a long running thread on the CMP forum where a member will look up the serial and find the month of production and sometimes even the unit it was issued to so maybe I can find out more.

Last edited:
Nice rifle. I have had this old carbine for going on 50 years now. I think I paid the quite princely sum of around 12 bucks for it back then. I had it out this morning and the front sight decided to part ways with the rest of the carbine! (little bastard! :laugh: ) Fortunately I was able to find it so I will re silver solder it back together when I have time.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 29
Nice rifle. I have had this old carbine for going on 50 years now. I think I paid the quite princely sum of around 12 bucks for it back then. I had it out this morning and the front sight decided to part ways with the rest of the carbine! (little bastard! :laugh: ) Fortunately I was able to find it so I will re silver solder it back together when I have time.
Damn, don't you hate when that happens?

Oh, I found out my Krag was made either March or April of 1902.....Sadly no unit affiliation could be found.

Damn, don't you hate when that happens?

Oh, I found out my Krag was made either March or April of 1902.....Sadly no unit affiliation could be found.

Actually, this is only the 2nd time it has ever happened to me. There used to be a group online that had a lot of the Springfield records and would look them up for you. I think it was Springfield Sporters, but they stopped a few years ago. There are other resources though. I think there is a chance you can find out more than you have. My M2 as a for instance, was reported stolen in 1932, but then recovered a couple of years later. Kind of cool!

Actually, this is only the 2nd time it has ever happened to me. There used to be a group online that had a lot of the Springfield records and would look them up for you. I think it was Springfield Sporters, but they stopped a few years ago. There are other resources though. I think there is a chance you can find out more than you have. My M2 as a for instance, was reported stolen in 1932, but then recovered a couple of years later. Kind of cool!
Springfield Sporters was a surplus parts outfit run by a man who passed, Sarco got all his stuff. Man i bought a lot of stocks and such from him.

SRS (Springfield research service) is what you are thinking of, there is a member over on the CMP forum that will look up stuff for you.

Springfield Sporters was a surplus parts outfit run by a man who passed, Sarco got all his stuff. Man i bought a lot of stocks and such from him.

SRS (Springfield research service) is what you are thinking of, there is a member over on the CMP forum that will look up stuff for you.

Yes, that is who I was thinking about. It sucks getting old!

I have spent days going through SARCO's warehouse. It doesn't hold a candle to Bannermans though. Gosh I miss that place!

Forum List

Back