18 murders in 24 hours: Inside the most violent day in 60 years in Chicago

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
Only certain black lives matter.

While Chicago was roiled by another day of protests and looting in the wake of George Floyd’s murder, 18 people were killed Sunday, May 31, making it the single most violent day in Chicago in six decades, according to the University of Chicago Crime Lab. The lab’s data doesn’t go back further than 1961.

From 7 p.m. Friday, May 29, through 11 p.m. Sunday, May 31, 25 people were killed in the city, with another 85 wounded by gunfire, according to data maintained by the Chicago Sun-Times.

In a city with an international reputation for crime — where 900 murders per year were common in the early 1990s — it was the most violent weekend in Chicago’s modern history, stretching police resources that were already thin because of protests and looting.

“We’ve never seen anything like it, at all,” said Max Kapustin, the senior research director at the crime lab. “ ... I don’t even know how to put it into context. It’s beyond anything that we’ve ever seen before.”

While Chicago was roiled by another day of protests and looting in the wake of George Floyd’s murder, 18 people were killed Sunday, May 31, making it the single most violent day in Chicago in six decades, according to the University of Chicago Crime Lab. The lab’s data doesn’t go back further than 1961.
From 7 p.m. Friday, May 29, through 11 p.m. Sunday, May 31, 25 people were killed in the city, with another 85 wounded by gunfire, according to data maintained by the Chicago Sun-Times.
In a city with an international reputation for crime — where 900 murders per year were common in the early 1990s — it was the most violent weekend in Chicago’s modern history, stretching police resources that were already thin because of protests and looting.
“We’ve never seen anything like it, at all,” said Max Kapustin, the senior research director at the crime lab. “ ... I don’t even know how to put it into context. It’s beyond anything that we’ve ever seen before.”

Black Lives Matter *

* when they can make a political point

Black Lives Matter *

That's it, only when they [Democrats] can use it for political purposes.

It is disgusting, but as it is the party of slavery, the Civil War, the KKK, Jim Crow, and lynchings, no one should be surprised.

No respect for life. It's taken and forgotten. The police have to work OT to keep up with each case and try to explain to families why they don't have an arrest yet. Imagine having to juggle so many cases which pile up daily?

I enjoy the show the First 48. I imagine for these guys it's "The First 12 and move on to the next one"

Its the 3rd most populous city in the US, how many white on white killing in Chicago.

Black Lives Matter *

That's it, only when they [Democrats] can use it for political purposes.

It is disgusting, but as it is the party of slavery, the Civil War, the KKK, Jim Crow, and lynchings, no one should be surprised.
That has absolutely not a damn thing to do with black on black violent crime or abuse and murder by cops.

Those are two diffenrent problems.

Oh? Do tell!
You can't see how thugs killing people over the illegal drug trade is different than cops killing blacks? If you can't I will let you research the reasons asto why you don't.

Calling blacks "thugs" is racist I think, but maybe you should check. Be careful!

And nice how you assume that all the blacks killed were drug dealers. That is so racist.

Oh? Do tell!
You can't see how thugs killing people over the illegal drug trade is different than cops killing blacks? If you can't I will let you research the reasons asto why you don't.

Calling blacks "thugs" is racist I think, but maybe you should check. Be careful!

And nice how you assume that all the blacks killed were drug dealers. That is so racist.
thugs can be any race or color of pigmentation and have been for many decades do try to keep up....The drug wars between gangs kills many and the innocent bystanders, now we know that they do not commit 100% of the murders, exept yous.

Oh? Do tell!

thugs can be any race or color of pigmentation and have been for many decades do try to keep up....

No, you were specifically posting about the OP article. Don't be the racist now.

nice how you assume that all the blacks killed were drug dealers
That was not the assumption, race-baiter. It's the honky-tonk American psychiatrists who get kickbacks from European pharmaceuticals for committing American patients, prescribing all kinds of mind-altering recreational-cum-mental-mealth drugs, and revoking the gun rights of U.S. citizens in a sick, twisted and corrupt federal court system.

18 more bodies to throw onto the pile of 320,000 Blacks who have been killed in inner city Black on Black murder over the last 40 years. Oh well, it's a good thing they don't matter or that might be a real problem.

These killings are awful, and particularly for the citizens of Chicago. BUT, why the continuing obsession with Chicago? This needs to be explained. Chicago has been known for its gangs at least since the 1920s. It would not surprise me if these killings were related to gang activity.

There was this garage on S. Clark St. A German Shepard named Highball survived.

These killings are awful, and particularly for the citizens of Chicago. BUT, why the continuing obsession with Chicago? This needs to be explained. Chicago has been known for its gangs at least since the 1920s. It would not surprise me if these killings were related to gang activity.

There was this garage on S. Clark St. A German Shepard named Highball survived.
There might be gang/turfs wars taking place. What I've noticed is that in hyper violent neighbor hoods, gangs develop in terms of geographical locations and have formed smaller, almost tribalesque, mentalities. As in, one group controls a street, or block, a certain neighborhood, and then they are engaging in a deadly war game of tag. Why? Because, the mentality is more about local "pride and glory" than a greater larger mindset.

This might be why the Bloods started out as a street gang on one street, because their engaging in mental and societal re-verse evolution.

Forum List

Back