$15 hour minimum wage on the ballot for Florida

Seems Morgan and Morgan a high powered attorney office want the minimum wage brought up to $15 an hour.

Holy shit. I make a little more than that and have a professional job. Some burger flipper will be making as much as I do. I can already see the price of everything going up, up and up.
$25 per hour is self-sufficiency in Florida, the wage needed to afford shelter and basic necessities. $15 is perfectly appropriate and warranted.

What happens when businesses are forced to pay people $15 an hour for $9 worth of added value?

Doesn't hit $15 until 2026 by then your prices will have already gone up. Many businesses will demand employee's to be more productive or hit the road while downsizing a little. Many worker's down here could use a kick in the ass from what I've seen the past 30 years, they have always worked at their own pace.

Inflation currently isn't at a rate that would lessen the added value/$15 minimum issue.

The thing is if companies do make employees do more, then it defeats the purpose of the law, which is to give the most useless employees a raise.

Well that damn useless employee better become stellar pretty fast or out.

Last edited:
Seems Morgan and Morgan a high powered attorney office want the minimum wage brought up to $15 an hour.

Holy shit. I make a little more than that and have a professional job. Some burger flipper will be making as much as I do. I can already see the price of everything going up, up and up.
$25 per hour is self-sufficiency in Florida, the wage needed to afford shelter and basic necessities. $15 is perfectly appropriate and warranted.

You wouldn't say that if you were a small business owner who needed to hire. $15 is way to much.

No one could afford to pay that so no one would get hired. Not a good thing.
I am looking for workers right now for fifteen an hour and I can afford it.

You wouldn't say that if you were a small business owner who needed to hire. $15 is way to much.

Are they giving you $15 of added value?

Oh hell yes and more.

That's you. Many can't.

I was making fifteen an hour in the 1990's why is labor wages so low?

Well you told everyone you own your own company so you can make as much as you want.

A $15 minimum wage would hike the price of everything up. Many small businesses won't be able to hire anyone. Not good.
Nonsense.

$15 would allow some to no longer to need to participate in public assistance programs.

What a load of crap that is. No one will hire someone and pay them $15 as a minimum wage.

You know lately a few of the fast food restaurants I've seen hiring around the panhandle have been advertising $11 or $12 to start. In many of the wealthier areas where the younger kids get money handed to them by their parents won't work therefore there are older worker's filling these jobs.

I think when I filled out my ballot didn't it say $10 in 2021 and increments up to 2026 so many already in the food industry making that.

I was making fifteen an hour in the 1990's why is labor wages so low?

Well you told everyone you own your own company so you can make as much as you want.

A $15 minimum wage would hike the price of everything up. Many small businesses won't be able to hire anyone. Not good.
Nonsense.

$15 would allow some to no longer to need to participate in public assistance programs.

What a load of crap that is. No one will hire someone and pay them $15 as a minimum wage.

You know lately a few of the fast food restaurants I've seen hiring around the panhandle have been advertising $11 or $12 to start. In many of the wealthier areas where the younger kids get money handed to them by their parents won't work therefore there are older worker's filling these jobs.

I think when I filled out my ballot didn't it say $10 in 2021 and increments up to 2026 so many already in the food industry making that.

Yup. By 2026 it will be $15 an hour.

No FF restaurant around here pays that kind of money and if it passes the cost of everything will be going up. I doubt people who have been working for a while will appreciate a newbie coming in making $15 an hour when they don't. I can see many problems with this.

Oh hell yes and more.

Then what about businesses that will have to pay people $15 for say $9 of added value?

What happens when businesses are forced to pay people $15 an hour for $9 worth of added value?

He doesn't care. I guess he's to stupid to realize no one would hire if they had to pay that as minimum wage. Hell he thinks $25 should be the minimum wage.

No one was ever supposed to earn a living at minimum wage. Hell that was for kids during summer break.
That's not true, it was created as a minimum living wage

The fight to raise the minimum wage is being waged across the country, and has been for years. As workers and activists in New York fight for $15, citizens in Seattle, San Francisco, and Los Angeles are already seeing increases in their paychecks.

But all along the way, there are critics arguing that the minimum wage was never supposed to be a living wage, but rather, an entry-level wage. You were always, they argue, supposed to work your way out of it.

“The minimum wage was never intended to be a ‘living wage,’ on which one could support oneself let alone a family,” opined Lowell Kalapa, President of the Tax Foundation of Hawaii, in an op-ed a few years ago.

“Read history!” implored one commenter on a Pew Research piece about the minimum wage. “Jobs are important and we’re not business oriented enough to allow small businesses to hire more folk. The minimum wage is NOT a living wage. It’s a place to get experience, but the new generation is too lazy to try.”

Of course, if the commenter, himself, had “read history,” he would see that, in fact, the minimum wage was always supposed to be a living wage. In fact, to argue that the minimum wage was never supposed to be a living wage is completely anachronistic.

In his 1933 address following the passage of the National Industrial Recovery Act, President Franklin D. Roosevelt noted that “no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.”

“By ‘business’ I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level — I mean the wages of decent living,” he stated.

A federal minimum wage wouldn’t be permanently mandated until 1938 under the Fair Labor Standards Act, the same bill which prohibited child labor and limited the workweek to 44 hours. Even then, the idea was the same: ensure that businesses have to a) pay people for the work that they do, and b) that the payment is at least enough to live on.

“Without question,” explained FDR, “[the minimum wage] starts us toward a better standard of living and increases purchasing power to buy the products of farm and factory.”

That phrase, “purchasing power,” is the lynchpin. By attaching purchasing power as an idea to the minimum wage, its creator was clearly stating that this wasn’t a wage just for teenagers with summer jobs, as many modern-day critics will imply. Requiring employers to pay a living wage was designed to make sure that everyone could live as long as they worked full time.

He doesn't care. I guess he's to stupid to realize no one would hire if they had to pay that as minimum wage. Hell he thinks $25 should be the minimum wage.

No one was ever supposed to earn a living at minimum wage. Hell that was for kids during summer break.

The fight to raise the minimum wage is being waged across the country, and has been for years. As workers and activists in New York fight for $15, citizens in Seattle, San Francisco, and Los Angeles are already seeing increases in their paychecks.

But all along the way, there are critics arguing that the minimum wage was never supposed to be a living wage, but rather, an entry-level wage. You were always, they argue, supposed to work your way out of it.

“The minimum wage was never intended to be a ‘living wage,’ on which one could support oneself let alone a family,” opined Lowell Kalapa, President of the Tax Foundation of Hawaii, in an op-ed a few years ago.

“Read history!” implored one commenter on a Pew Research piece about the minimum wage. “Jobs are important and we’re not business oriented enough to allow small businesses to hire more folk. The minimum wage is NOT a living wage. It’s a place to get experience, but the new generation is too lazy to try.”

Of course, if the commenter, himself, had “read history,” he would see that, in fact, the minimum wage was always supposed to be a living wage. In fact, to argue that the minimum wage was never supposed to be a living wage is completely anachronistic.

In his 1933 address following the passage of the National Industrial Recovery Act, President Franklin D. Roosevelt noted that “no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.”

“By ‘business’ I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level — I mean the wages of decent living,” he stated.

A federal minimum wage wouldn’t be permanently mandated until 1938 under the Fair Labor Standards Act, the same bill which prohibited child labor and limited the workweek to 44 hours. Even then, the idea was the same: ensure that businesses have to a) pay people for the work that they do, and b) that the payment is at least enough to live on.

“Without question,” explained FDR, “[the minimum wage] starts us toward a better standard of living and increases purchasing power to buy the products of farm and factory.”

That phrase, “purchasing power,” is the lynchpin. By attaching purchasing power as an idea to the minimum wage, its creator was clearly stating that this wasn’t a wage just for teenagers with summer jobs, as many modern-day critics will imply. Requiring employers to pay a living wage was designed to make sure that everyone could live as long as they worked full time.

Again, how does a business stay in business if it has to pay $15 an hour for $9 an hour of added value?

Yea they should make some adjustment to it. They should put into it that only big major store chains like Target or Walmart have to pay that wage. While the small mom and Pop's stores are exempt from it.

Hillary Clinton was on the Board of Directors of Wal-Mart for 6 years. Wal-Mart paid her $18,000 each year she was on the board and $1,500 for every meeting she attended. She accumulated at least $100,000 in Wal-Mart stock.

No. Its minimum wage and no one was ever meant to survive on it. Its a place to start. You get hired at minimum wage and work your way up. I've done it many times.

The small Ma and Pa's stores will not be able to compete with the major store chains. Major store chains will go 100% robotic, which they will use as an excuse the reason why. It is to keep prices low for the consumers. But meanwhile, the Ma and Pa's stores will be out of business.

No its not---------raising the minimum wage will shoot up the cost of everything.........and at a time when so many in the entertainment/tourism industry are out of work (think Disney)..........it will as it always does hurt the elderly on a fix income and cost people their jobs.

Morgan and Morgar are shysters-------------

You are basing your argument on jealousy.

Yes, it hurts those who have worked their way up to get just above the $15 an hour, which is about double what the minimum wage was, When you started.

My neighbor's adult son, had busted his butt to get to about $14 an hour over a 10 year period from minimum wage of $6.75 an hour when he started in high school....

He is a manager of about 6 employees....

Maine passed a new minimum wage of $12 an hour, taking 4 years to get to the $12....the minimum was around $8 at the time and every year in January they got a minimum wage increase of about a dollar an hour till it hit $12 an hour last January, and now is tied to the cost of living and will rise automatically each year...

My poor neighbor's son, got a 50 cent raise....his employees are all nearly making what he busted his butt for and they did not adjust and raise his manager salary, accordingly, in relation to the minimum wage employees, and he has a huge responsibility compared to his employees.... which sucks, for him.... So now, the kid is wondering if he should leave and go elsewhere for a manager's job, because a new managers job in a new company will likely hire a manager at... in the least $4-$5 an hour higher than minimum wage of $12...?

The cost of living, has not gone up, though.

You are basing your argument on jealousy.

Nope. Common Sense. No one ever supposed to earn a living at Minimum wage. It was a starting point to work your way up. One I've done many times.

Forum List

Back