113th begins at noon

I think if one hates congress one thing one can do which will change your mind, maybe just a little bit, is to pick one Senator or one House member who you feel best reflects your view of the way government should work. Then every once in a while see how the good fight is going. There are a few hundred to pick from so the chance you can find a single member is pretty good.

If you want me to look some up for you just let me know what you are looking for. I don't know if there are any websites that do such a thing.

Since at least 1970, a Representative has a 98 percent chance of being re-elected should he or she choose to run again.

A Senator has a 70 percent chance.

There have been several campaign finance "reforms" in all that time, and not one of them has made a dent in those odds.

Once you are in, you are set for as long as you wish to remain, and that breeds corruption, laziness, and cowardice.

So it does not matter if there is one guy fighting the good fight. He is powerless against that kind of rig. Our Republic is defeated.

Last edited:
xoe3w5.gif

4uyj3r.gif

thangod. yep, january 3rd. Maybe a little less pressure on Boehner since a couple teapartiers lost their reelection bids? What say you?

You mean the congress is not overflowing with Tea Party types?
I thought they were all going to win?

For the first time, white men will be a minority among House Democrats, with blacks and Latinos adding to the party's numbers. Democrats Tammy Duckworth of Illinois and Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii will be the first female combat veterans in Congress, with the later also the chamber's first Hindu.
In Congress, a New Diversity Colors Politics - WSJ.com

What is the world coming to?! :confused: :laugh:

How the 113Th Congress votes will be interesting - I sense a move in the direction of moderation.

112Th Tea Party Republicans lost a few of their Fire-Brands .... hopefully enough to make a difference.

The Tea Party was a passing phase. A diversion. Smoke and mirrors.

The old school establishment corruption, laziness, and cowardice is still there.

Nothing has changed.

Nothing.

The Republicans will continue to pretend to be fiscally conservative, the Democrats will continue to pretend to be compassionate toward the underclass. But the prime mover for both will be the retention of power at any cost. And that means being very liberal with other peoples money.

Last edited:
How the 113Th Congress votes will be interesting - I sense a move in the direction of moderation.

112Th Tea Party Republicans lost a few of their Fire-Brands .... hopefully enough to make a difference.

I suspect so. I really think the fiscal cliff bill and the Sandy relief bill was in a way the kick in the ass they needed so badly. As someone stated in another thread, "Maybe embarrassment will get them into action.' Terribly messed up that quote.

The old school establishment corruption, laziness, and cowardice is still there.

Nothing has changed.

Nothing.

The Republicans will continue to pretend to be fiscally conservative, the Democrats will continue to pretend to be compassionate toward the underclass. But the prime mover for both will be the retention of power at any cost. And that means being very liberal with other peoples money.

Too much truth in that. Hopefully not the absolute truth.

Nothing has changed.

Nothing.

We can thank Gingrich for being a stalwart to thwart campaign fin reform. Add to that Citizens United & you have a recipe for creating corporate Throw ALEC, AIPAC, & the NRA into the mix too

Last edited:

I suspect so. I really think the fiscal cliff bill and the Sandy relief bill was in a way the kick in the ass they needed so badly. As someone stated in another thread, "Maybe embarrassment will get them into action.' Terribly messed up that quote.

Vast LWC
"Sweet.

Perhaps pure embarrassment is finally getting these guys off their asses."

We can thank Gingrich for being a stalwart to thwart campaign fin reform. Add to that Citizens United & you have a recipe for creating corporate Throw ALEC, AIPAC, & the NRA into the mix too

People tend to oppose free speech restrictions when they understand that's what you advocate.

There is nothing wrong with a corporation. There is reason to be concerned with paranoia.

In about five minutes the 112th house will gavel in and close for the final time

Nothing has changed.

Nothing.

Campaign finance "reform" is a stupid solution that will never work and undermines the First Amendment.

You want to end campaign finance corruption? Well, why does a union or corporation give money to a Congressman?

To give that union or corporation a tax break.

So, make a permanent ban on tax expenditures and you have just removed a huge incentive to donate to an incumbent's campaign.

Which is why Congress will never ban tax expenditures, even though they are costing us over a trillion dollars a year, causing our tax rates to be much higher than they should be.

These assholes know which side their bread is buttered on. There are no fiscal conservatives in Washington.

If they aren't handing out goodies to their friends in the way of subsidies, credits, and loopholes, they are writing regulations which make the playing field unlevel for their friends to keep out competition instead of regulations which protect the public, or they are throwing big government contracts their way.

Our Republic is dying. It is time to start hanging people from lamp posts.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back