$11 Million Ransom Paid

Sucks that this meat packing company had to pay an $11 million ransom.

No - it sucks that they paid the ransom. So it will happen again, and again, and again ad nauseam.
Cheaper to pay the ransom than to mitigate the damage while having to cease operations and lose revenue, simple risk-reward analysis.

The attackers already know what the downtime is going to cost the target and thus know what ransom to ask for, they’re not stupid.

So, in the meantime, the consumer has to bite the damned bullet when JBS increases their prices. Bullshit. We have the resources between the military and the IT community to track these assholes and eradicate them from the earth. An attack by them is an ATTACK. We, as a nation need to put on our big boy pants and begin doing what is necessary to stop these clowns.

It should be illegal for companies to pay like that. It's too easy to air gap their operating systems to prevent hacking.

They provide 25% of the meat in the US. if you're right there is a reasonable way for them to protect themselves and they don't, I guess that's another story. Seems like everyone would have it already. So what's the catch?
They are a huge national company. I dont think air gapping their systems is really a reasonable solution. Im quite sure their systems are interconnected across their numerous locations. You would have to have a separate intranet that all their systems run on and internet connections for the business side with separate computer systems that never touched both networks. It's a meat production company not a US intelligence agency. The US as part of our policy is so worried about attribution when it comes to stuff like this that we dont hit back. Foreign nations know this. What needs to happen is we need to hit back, hit back hard and say yes it was the US and that's only the tip of the iceberg.

Yes as I stated in a reply to the OP, a totally separate system for email.

The only way to stop this is to keep email on a separate system from the rest of the company operations.

It's expensive but costs less than being hacked, shutdown and blackmailed.
Im not sure that's the case. For a large company to have and manage 2 networks might cost more than 11 million depending on how many years you extend that out. That means every employee has to have 2 computers on their desk potentially with all the network connection overhead associated with them. I would think you increase your IT staff but 50%? So you have to account for their salaries, training, etc etc. The costs would add up quickly. And for a small company the overhead costs would be a non starter.

What is the other alternative?

I don't think a small company has as much to worry about as a large oil pipeline or an international food company.

The hackers are going to go where the money is. That's not a small company.

If a large company has to hire more people to do those jobs, that is the price of doing business in the world today.

I don't see anyone else coming up with a real solution.
That’s just not accurate, “hackers” are going after the easiest targets and that includes SMALL BUSINESS AND INDIVIDUALS, the whole point is to carry out attacks at scale, hit thousands of targets and you only need a small percentage to be successful to make bank. Sure bigger targets are potentially more lucrative but they are generally harder to crack, so what you do is cast a wide net and pick off any easy targets that turn up, doesn’t increase your effort much and doesn’t increase your risk much.

Security by obscurity is just an illusion.
I meant it would be a non starter for a small business from a cost perspective. Not that a hacker wouldn’t target them.

The sad thing is that our own "intelligence" community apparently isn't smart enough to deal with international hackers like this. Ignorant lefties will end up blaming Tucker Carlson.
The fact is that they are “smart enough” to deal with in fact they deal with constantly, the sad part about it is that they are focused on protecting GOVERNMENT POWER instead of protecting “WE THE PEOPLE”. Snowden saw it, which is why he did what he did.
The issue is the fear of attribution. We spend mountains of money building tools and infrastructure to combat this stuff but its all non attrib stuff so it’s far more limited.

it’s sad the xiden/harris admin can’t keep us safe from cyber attacks

now the price of meat will continue to rise due to the xiden harris failure of an admin...
Oh the irony. None of you said a word when Putin helped install the idiot trump now you want Joe to fix it. Typical.
Sorry...that’s untrue. Everyone was in full support of election security measures

it was the dems that lied about a russian conspiracy hoax and distracted from the issue

You mean the democrats were the first party ever to lie??? How shocking. I couldn't believe that.

It reminds me of that lie republicans spread that the election was stolen. Something should be done about politicians telling lies. God doesn't like liars and hypocrites, does he?
of course they weren’t the first.
I'm shocked. Here's me preparing to shoulder the whole blame.

Cheaper to pay the ransom than to mitigate the damage while having to cease operations and lose revenue, simple risk-reward analysis.

The attackers already know what the downtime is going to cost the target and thus know what ransom to ask for, they’re not stupid.

Maybe, but here is the problem: we see these women go after wealthy guys making false sexual claims. It's cheaper to just give them what they want than it is to fight them in court regardless that they have no real evidence against them. After all, they have the money, so use that money to just make them go away.

Other women looking to cash in on this lottery do the same thing. So it doesn't stop.

What's needed to stop this is one man come out and say I don't care if it costs me more money to fight it than the payoff, this has got to end. So he beats her with every dollar he has, and then sues her repeatedly making her life complete misery and making her broke at the same time.

The same thing here. If somebody doesn't make a stand against these people, it will never end unless we have a President with balls to find these people and have the CIA arrange a fatal accident with these criminals.

As long as these hackers can get away with it and make millions off it, why would they stop?
WHY CAN'T WE CATCH THESE SCOUNDRELS?
There needs to be a cyber defense that bites back the instant one of these things happens. Trashes their computer brains, traces a footprint directly to the hacker's door.

Dimm's are in charge!
It's a hacker's field day.
The Federal Bureau of Idiots continue to be idiots!!
It has nothing to do with which party is in charge. I already posted a link that shows it happened all during the T**** era as well. As a matter of fact, when Russia hacked our government data bases for months, T**** didn't do squat about it.

What has to happen is simple: we need to hire some of these hackers ourselves. If we're too goddamned stupid to catch them, hire people who can.

The fact is you don't know what was done. No one smart would advertise counter measures taken.

But hey, feel free to keep speculating.

It should be illegal for companies to pay like that. It's too easy to air gap their operating systems to prevent hacking.

They provide 25% of the meat in the US. if you're right there is a reasonable way for them to protect themselves and they don't, I guess that's another story. Seems like everyone would have it already. So what's the catch?
They are a huge national company. I dont think air gapping their systems is really a reasonable solution. Im quite sure their systems are interconnected across their numerous locations. You would have to have a separate intranet that all their systems run on and internet connections for the business side with separate computer systems that never touched both networks. It's a meat production company not a US intelligence agency. The US as part of our policy is so worried about attribution when it comes to stuff like this that we dont hit back. Foreign nations know this. What needs to happen is we need to hit back, hit back hard and say yes it was the US and that's only the tip of the iceberg.

Yes as I stated in a reply to the OP, a totally separate system for email.

The only way to stop this is to keep email on a separate system from the rest of the company operations.

It's expensive but costs less than being hacked, shutdown and blackmailed.
Im not sure that's the case. For a large company to have and manage 2 networks might cost more than 11 million depending on how many years you extend that out. That means every employee has to have 2 computers on their desk potentially with all the network connection overhead associated with them. I would think you increase your IT staff but 50%? So you have to account for their salaries, training, etc etc. The costs would add up quickly. And for a small company the overhead costs would be a non starter.

What is the other alternative?

I don't think a small company has as much to worry about as a large oil pipeline or an international food company.

The hackers are going to go where the money is. That's not a small company.

If a large company has to hire more people to do those jobs, that is the price of doing business in the world today.

I don't see anyone else coming up with a real solution.

Backups on multiple media kept separate from the businesses network is a fairly cheep way to do it. System backups, cloud backups, physical backups on removable hard drives and CDs. All solutions costs money and require the will to do it.

And why did they decide that hackers, russians. Why? It is believed that they are "russian-speaking". But, after all, guys, there are russian-speakers in Ukraine, the Baltic States, and the US cyber forces, and, not least, in Brighton Beach, New York

Yes, Russian hackers are emboldened by the fact that Putin owns Joe Biden. Thanks for that.
And don't forget that Xi owns Biden too.

Forum List

Back