10mm - Safety Concerns?

Iron Head

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2015
As I recently posted, I bought the new G40 10mm. I was talking with a guy today who is a firearms instructor. His son had a G20 explode in his hand, breaking a bone in his hand and causing nerve damage in his hand which has caused him to lose feeling in his palm. Granted, he loads his own ammo and may have loaded it too hot.

I started looking online and found similar horror stories related to self loaded ammo. I understand that the G40 is supposed to handle full power loads very well. But now I am wondering about firing the heavy loads. I bought some Buffalo Bore 180 gr heavy ammo. There is definitely a significant difference between the normal load ammo I was shooting and the BB loads. The BB jars my hand when I fire it. It reminds me of shooting a 44 mag,

So now I am concerned about firing the hot stuff. I figure I will just run the lighter loads at the range and then use the heavy BB when when I am in the woods and targeting hogs.

Is my apprehension on this justified?

Heavy loads will significantly lower the life of the G40. Use them only sparingly. The .40 also is hard on the Glock frame. I know that Burbank PD had at least two come apart on their officers when they were adopting them. They recalled the whole batch and updated them before reissuing them. I think the rapid recoil impulse from the .40 and 10mm cause the Glock frame to warp beyond the design specs. So long as you are using lighter loads it is not too significant but the second you start using the heavier loads they start coming apart pretty rapidly.

• Banned
Heavy loads will significantly lower the life of the G40. Use them only sparingly. The .40 also is hard on the Glock frame. I know that Burbank PD had at least two come apart on their officers when they were adopting them. They recalled the whole batch and updated them before reissuing them. I think the rapid recoil impulse from the .40 and 10mm cause the Glock frame to warp beyond the design specs. So long as you are using lighter loads it is not too significant but the second you start using the heavier loads they start coming apart pretty rapidly.
Hey, thanks. I am a bit of a recoil Junkie and enjoy shooting large bore. But that story about a 10mm blowing up in someone's hands, and then finding anecdotal evidence of the same thing online shook me up a bit. I am going to put the heavy loads in my ammo safe until I need them for hunting. I am going to run a ton of ammo through this thing, as I do most of my handguns, so I am going to stick to the lighter loads I think. Thanks,

Glocks are great, I had one, they just aren't for me. My opinion is that hot loads in semi autos may be asking for trouble. Why not save them for revolvers? If you're hunting you won't need 12 rounds.

Forum List

Back