10-year-old's pregnancy

Samson

Póg Mo Thóin
Dec 3, 2009
A Higher Plain
fuels Mexican abortion debate

Mexico City, Mexico (CNN) -- A pregnant 10-year-old, allegedly raped by her stepfather, has become the latest lightning rod in the country's heated abortion debate.

The girl's stepfather has been arrested. But advocates on both sides of the issue say their battle is just beginning.

"This girl is much more than an isolated case," said Adriana Ortiz-Ortega, a researcher at Mexico's National Autonomous University who has written two books on abortion in Mexico, "and there is much more influence now from conservative groups that are trying to prevent the legalization of abortion."

So Anti-abortion supporters, ya wanna take this one?

This reminds me of a case near me where a 15 year old gave birth in a toilet and let her baby die. It was her 2nd child and the papers never named the father. She received less than two years in jail. (I'll find the story later if demanded by the link police)

Tough call. I'd rather see an early abortion than a dead baby in the toilet. But more importantly, I'd like to see the rapists locked up. Forever.

This is a huge problem for the Mexican/Hispanic population. I'm not sure why.

At least they put him in jail. Planned Parenthood in the US wouldn't even bother reporting it.

fuels Mexican abortion debate

Mexico City, Mexico (CNN) -- A pregnant 10-year-old, allegedly raped by her stepfather, has become the latest lightning rod in the country's heated abortion debate.

The girl's stepfather has been arrested. But advocates on both sides of the issue say their battle is just beginning.

"This girl is much more than an isolated case," said Adriana Ortiz-Ortega, a researcher at Mexico's National Autonomous University who has written two books on abortion in Mexico, "and there is much more influence now from conservative groups that are trying to prevent the legalization of abortion."

So Anti-abortion supporters, ya wanna take this one?

I'm not so much anti-abortion as I am against using abortion as a method of birthcontrol. I do believe this child should get an abortion ASAP and her stepfather get the worst punishment possible. Life in prison?

I don't know the stats but I'm fairly certain that a good number of "pro life" people agree it might be necesary in cases of rape or incest. And like luissa said, her life could be in danger.

And the girl I mentioned was also Mexican, I had a gut feeling from the get go, it was a relative. I believe that's why they gave her so little time in jail.But of course the news never mentioned it.

Sickos.

I don't know the stats but I'm fairly certain that a good number of "pro life" people agree it might be necesary in cases of rape or incest. And like luissa said, her life could be in danger.

And the girl I mentioned was also Mexican, I had a gut feeling from the get go, it was a relative. I believe that's why they gave her so little time in jail.But of course the news never mentioned it.

Sickos.

I agree with you.

But, whenever there's an antiabortion thread, there's always someone that claims LIFE has begun with conception, and ENDING LIFE is an abomination, regardless of the circumstances.

This arguement is oddly silent in this thread.

The baby should have an abortion. A ten year old's body is not designed to carry a baby to full term.

And the 10 year old is a life.

Sickos.

I agree with you.

But, whenever there's an antiabortion thread, there's always someone that claims LIFE has begun with conception, and ENDING LIFE is an abomination, regardless of the circumstances.

This arguement is oddly silent in this thread.

I do believe life begins at conception...but in this case, carrying the baby to term will put the mother in danger. I have no objection to a 10 year old having an abortion. I do object to them having sex, and her stepfather, if she were my little girl, wouldn't be able to ever have sex again.

The baby should have an abortion. A ten year old's body is not designed to carry a baby to full term.

I agree.

But, its still LIFE, right?

Yes, it's life at conception. Abortion for a 10 year old is self defense. Self defense is acceptable in every society. Now if you want to talk about the woman that last I heard had 5 abortions and uses it as a method of birth control, well, let's just say you won't find me defending that tramp any time soon.

And the 10 year old is a life.

But no one is TAKEING her life.

Forcing her to carry a child to term could take her life. It most certainly would cause long lasting physical problems not to mention mental problems, her body just isn't ready to give birth. Either way, a 10 year old shouldn't be forced to have a baby and her step father, well castration sounds like a good idea to me.

I agree.

Yes, it's life at conception. Abortion for a 10 year old is self defense. Self defense is acceptable in every society. Now if you want to talk about the woman that last I heard had 5 abortions and uses it as a method of birth control, well, let's just say you won't find me defending that tramp any time soon.

So, its OK to take life......as long as you find the circumstances acceptable?

I agree.

Again, self defense is acceptable in every society. If someone put's your child's life in danger, are you going to stand by and just let that person kill/harm her?

Again, self defense is acceptable in every society. If someone put's your child's life in danger, are you going to stand by and just let that person kill/harm her?

I'm just trying to define under what circumstances you feel taking life is OK.

You say its OK if its is for "self defense," right?

Forum List

Back