$1,000 Gun Tax Pushed as “Role Model” for States

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
If this goes to court it's hard to imagine this won't get struck down as unconstitutional. A $1,000 per gun tax is essentially a ban on guns for everyone except the wealthy. Why do Democrats think only the rich and powerful should have the ability to defend themselves, yet again expressing their disdain for poor and middle class Americans?

WASHINGTON, D.C. – A $1,000 per gun tax should serve as a “role model” for states, according to the governor of the U.S. territory of the Northern Mariana Islands, which imposed the $1,000 gun tax earlier this month. An idea first endorsed by Hillary Clinton in 1993, steep gun taxes have now taken hold in Cook County, Ill. the city of Seattle, and now a U.S. territory.

If this goes to court it's hard to imagine this won't get struck down as unconstitutional.

Maybe, maybe not. The NFA of 1933 taxes were allowed to stand despite Machine Guns clearly being militia weapons. Not to mention the broad powers government has over commerce and taxation.

Rights can't be taxed, but apparently the tools needed to exercise those rights can be.

It's bullshit on its face, but since when has that ever stopped governments with an agenda?

Courts have already said, in Obamacare, that the government can tax for any reason. I wish it wasn't so but it is the reality. My argument is that why can't we tax unpopular speech?

Why stop with taxing unpopular speech? Why not charge a tax to attend church? Or have a lawyer in a criminal case? Or not testify against oneself?

You'll still have the right, you just have to pay a massive tax to exercise the right.

Why stop with taxing unpopular speech? Why not charge a tax to attend church? Or have a lawyer in a criminal case? Or not testify against oneself?

You'll still have the right, you just have to pay a massive tax to exercise the right.
Sounds like "Jim Crow" has risen from the dead. Oh, wait, did he really die, or just go into a coma?

It's totally cool to restrict people's rights so long as they are unpopular rights or unpopular people.

Sounds like "Jim Crow" has risen from the dead. Oh, wait, did he really die, or just go into a coma?

It's totally cool to restrict people's rights so long as they are unpopular rights or unpopular people.
I do hope that is sarcasm.

It is, but sadly it's also the attitude of so many in power.

If this goes to court it's hard to imagine this won't get struck down as unconstitutional. A $1,000 per gun tax is essentially a ban on guns for everyone except the wealthy. Why do Democrats think only the rich and powerful should have the ability to defend themselves, yet again expressing their disdain for poor and middle class Americans?

WASHINGTON, D.C. – A $1,000 per gun tax should serve as a “role model” for states, according to the governor of the U.S. territory of the Northern Mariana Islands, which imposed the $1,000 gun tax earlier this month. An idea first endorsed by Hillary Clinton in 1993, steep gun taxes have now taken hold in Cook County, Ill. the city of Seattle, and now a U.S. territory.

One grand was chump change forty years ago.

A while back it was popular to "assume" that the president could arbitrarily tax ammo - nearly out of existence, to make firearms nothing more than paperweights. It went nowhere, just as it should have.

My biggest fear is the SCOTUS. They completely ignore their place in the separation of powers and routinely (as do most courts) legislate from the bench, just as the left has been "arranging" since the 60s.

That's why it is of the utmost importance that a democrat is NOT elected, or we Will see and end to the second amendment. I promise you that.

Last edited:
A while back it was popular to "assume" that the president could arbitrarily tax ammo - nearly out of existence, to make firearms nothing more than paperweights. It went nowhere, just as it should have.

My biggest fear is the SCOTUS. They completely ignore their place in the seaparation of powers and routinely (as do most courts) legislate from the bench, just as the left has been "arranging" since the 60s.

That's why it is of the utmost importance that a democrat is NOT elected, or we Will see and end to the second amendment. I promise you that.

Take away guns and they will use knives. If they ban knives how can you carve up the Thanksgiving Turkey?

My biggest fear is the SCOTUS. They completely ignore their place in the seaparation of powers and routinely (as do most courts) legislate from the bench, just as the left has been "arranging" since the 60s.

Take away guns and they will use knives. If they ban knives how can you carve up the Thanksgiving Turkey?

Indeed. I prefer to shoot my families turkey - they taste SO much better. ;)

Red Neck Pheasant tastes better than store bought turkey but watch out for you might bite a small shotgun pellet.

This "high Tax" is just simply a back door to limiting constitutional rights....it's bull crud.

If you want to change the constitution, there are methods written within the constitution to do such. A $1000 tax would be like a "poll tax" in order to exercise your constitutional right to vote....unconstitutional.

Red Neck Pheasant tastes better than store bought turkey but watch out for you might bite a small shotgun pellet.
The golden pheasant is best..

Shoot, I've been breaking teeth on shot since I was a kid. Squirrel, rabbit, possum, and the occasional duck, pheasant and turkey.

Shoot, I've been breaking teeth on shot since I was a kid. Squirrel, rabbit, possum, and the occasional duck, pheasant and turkey.
We used to wear six shooters on a hip holster and draw to hit rabbits..

Nothing better than grey squirrel gravy over hot buttered biscuits, red squirrel is inedible unless starving.

Forum List

Back