Zero Tolerance In Today's Schools

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
I'm all for keeping schools safe. However, I think each instance should be taken on a case-by-case situation. Stories like the honor student leaving his Civil War (inoperable) musket in his truck from a school-sponsored event over the weekend - which results in suspension for the rest of the year because of the "no-weapon" zero tolerance policy fill the news weekly.

Let me add one.

Friend of ours has an 11 year old son. He and his friend were playing with each other on the playground. They have some game where they see how close they can come to "flick" (thumb on top of the middle finger, then 'flick' the middle finger to almost hit their arm/hand, etc) each other.

It was our friend's kid's turn. Just as he was "flicking" someone else ran by the other kid and pushed him, accidentally, into the first kid; resulting in his arm being "flicked."

Of course, the teacher turned around to see the actual "flick."

All three kids, the pusher, the flicker and the flickee gave the principal statements that it was all accidental, etc.

The principal even said he knew it was an accident but unfortunately his hands were tied by the schools' zero tolerance policy.

Our friend's kid was suspended for 3 days for violation of the school's anti-violence policy.

The other two kids received no suspension.

Absolutely ridiculous.

I hate...I HATE people sometimes...How the HELL do 'these policies' come about? I mean...really? The teacher who turned the kid in is a worthless human. :( very VERY poor judgement on his/her part.

Abbey Normal said:
Why don't we have zero tolerance for stupidity? Now that could be useful. :cuckoo:

By pointing out to unintelligent people that they are, in fact, unintelligent, their self esteem would get hurt.

There are tons of these idiotic examples. A pair of kindergarteners 'get married'. The boy kisses the girl, he is suspended for harrassment, even though the little girl explained that they are 'in love.' Taking a midol-zero tolerance for drugs leads to expulsion for the year...on and on. Talk about reasons not to 'respect authority', when there is no judgement required. :blowup:

here is one for you...

my son (6 at the time) was present when a boy pushed a girl into the boys bathroom....she belived my son was responsible....she went to her older brother 8 to put a hit out on my son.....he in turn went to an older friend and they put a hit out on my son.....so the 5th grader kicked my son in the twig and berries.....

the school has a zero tollerance policy so they did...........................

nothing, zip, zero nada ...... no appologizes from any one ........ and get this the girls mom said ... it was my son's fault for being there ......

manu1959nothing said:
I know a lot of teachers and they are unanimous in saying parents today think their own kids do no wrong. It's always the schools fault or the other students, not their little baby.

I guess I'll point out that "zero tolerance" policies actually were the brainchild of politicians in most states as an answer to the outcry over school violence (which has been vastly overreported and blown out of proportion by media outlets seeking to increase ratings and newspaper sales). Both parties and sides of the spectrum supported this idea. These policies are absolute nonsense. Let the school faculty and adminstrators do their jobs and treat each case individually. One-size-fits-all punishment systems don't work because they leave no room for common sense.

acludem

nucular said:
I know a lot of teachers and they are unanimous in saying parents today think their own kids do no wrong. It's always the schools fault or the other students, not their little baby.
I know one teacher in particular who agrees 100% with you: my wife. :)

HorhayAtAMD said:
I know one teacher in particular who agrees 100% with you: my wife. :)

Man, don't get me started. My 7th grade might as well have a sign on it: Behavior Disordered, RUN! Since preschool, this class has been disfunctional. Now hormones are raging and acting out is the norm. Unfortunately it's a case of bulldozer meet wall. A very thick and sturdy wall.

I'm not sure who's going to win, but I'm not going down without taking some with me. 2 days ago, sent home 'early progress reports.' Out of 22; 9 F's. 4 D's. 3 C's. Rest are some sort of B's. No A's.

The D's and F's had to have their's signed, supposedly yesterday, but I gave them til today. Still 6 didn't have, so I called the parents. Only 2 cared that their kids had not shown them, 2 tried to put it on me, but I got past that.

Wonder what they think high school will be like?

Kathianne said:
Man, don't get me started. My 7th grade might as well have a sign on it: Behavior Disordered, RUN! Since preschool, this class has been disfunctional. Now hormones are raging and acting out is the norm. Unfortunately it's a case of bulldozer meet wall. A very thick and sturdy wall.

I'm not sure who's going to win, but I'm not going down without taking some with me. 2 days ago, sent home 'early progress reports.' Out of 22; 9 F's. 4 D's. 3 C's. Rest are some sort of B's. No A's.

The D's and F's had to have their's signed, supposedly yesterday, but I gave them til today. Still 6 didn't have, so I called the parents. Only 2 cared that their kids had not shown them, 2 tried to put it on me, but I got past that.

Wonder what they think high school will be like?

Welcome to a glimpse of the youth of our nation courtesy of uninterested adults that think Id' rather be a pal to my kid instead of a parent otherwise they won't like me :cry: ..... I see that all the time.

Bonnie said:
Welcome to a glimpse of the youth of our nation courtesy of uninterested adults that think Id' rather be a pal to my kid instead of a parent otherwise they won't like me :cry: ..... I see that all the time.
No joke. My kids aren't that much older. The difference may be demographics. My kids have been raised in 2 communities where over 75% of parents hold post secondary degrees and higher. (about 40% postgrad.)

My school the parents have a HS % rate of 87. Some college: 62%. Degree: 32%. Post grad degree: 12%. They think that A's will take care of their kids, yet don't want to make them complete assignments or really work at cognitive skills. Think they will get into Ivy Universities if they can force the teachers to give the grades, without necessary work.

Educated parents are harder on their kids, easier on the teachers-but demand much more accountability on parameters of grades and curriculum.

Kathianne said:
No joke. My kids aren't that much older. The difference may be demographics. My kids have been raised in 2 communities where over 75% of parents hold post secondary degrees and higher. (about 40% postgrad.)

My school the parents have a HS % rate of 87. Some college: 62%. Degree: 32%. Post grad degree: 12%. They think that A's will take care of their kids, yet don't want to make them complete assignments or really work at cognitive skills. Think they will get into Ivy Universities if they can force the teachers to give the grades, without necessary work.

Educated parents are harder on their kids, easier on the teachers-but demand much more accountability on parameters of grades and curriculum.

My mom's neighbor has a cleaning service, and she tells us horror stories of seven year old kids who give furniture the finger test for dust and if they find even a smidgen they run and tell mom who in turn yells at the employee instead of telling the kid not to be disrespectful.

Bonnie said:
My mom's neighbor has a cleaning service, and she tells us horror stories of seven year old kids who give furniture the finger test for dust and if they find even a smidgen they run and tell mom who in turn yells at the employee instead of telling the kid not to be disrespectful.
Probably a good analogy! :laugh: Those that are 'educated' want their kids challenged early. Those that are not in the 'system' think it's 'rigged' and want their kids to have 'A's' to get into. They don't get that if they haven't the skills and mindset, they are going to fail.

Forum List

Back