YouTube series turns the man on the street into a pundit

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
What an interesting thing for this man to do!!!

YouTube series turns the man on the street into a pundit

Canadian immigrant Corey Gil-Shuster criss-crosses the Holy Land to answer the world’s burning questions in his ‘Ask an Israeli/Palestinian Project’

BY JEFF MOSKOWITZ May 29, 2014

What drives a middle-aged Jewish man from Canada to start walking around Ramallah, stopping Palestinians on the street to ask them, on camera, what they think of gay people or if they want to destroy Israel? And to ask Israelis in Tel Aviv if they don’t want non-Jews in the country or if they think the Israelis are acting like Nazis? For Corey Gil-Shuster, who has spent the last two years doing exactly that with his Ask an Israeli/Palestinian Project, it was a Facebook argument.

“It started when I was bored looking for jobs, talking to people online,” Gil-Shuster says. “They kept making these claims about Israel and Israeli society that didn’t match up with what I knew. So I got in this argument with this French-Canadian about the tent protests and I was living on Rothschild at the time. And she was saying all these things about how the Jews didn’t want the Arabs to be in the protest and I was saying, no, that’s not what’s going on. And she said, ‘How do you know what they think? What are you going to do – interview each and every person and ask their opinion?’ And I thought, you know what? That’s a really good idea.”

Since then, Gil-Shuster has filmed around 250 videos, each about ten minutes long and each one featuring a different question which he poses to Israelis or Palestinians or both. He gets the questions from viewers living abroad, mostly in the US and the Arab world. Then he sets out with his tiny $180 Best Buy camera and gets as many man-on-the-street interviews as he can on the subject, edits them together and uploads them to his Youtube channel.

Read more:

YouTube series turns the man on the street into a pundit | The Times of Israel

Forum List

Back