Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
1.Who are they ?
2.Why do you support them ?
3.What is your greatest memory ?
4.Who is your favourite player ?

No snobbery please. All choices are valid.

I will kick off.

1, Wrexham AFC.

2. My Dad took me when I was 7 years old and I thought it was the most amazing thing ever.I have never lost that feeling.

3. When we were at our lowest ebb we actually won a cup final.It was such a tough time for us all. As the players were parading round the pitch the stadium announcer started playing the club song Men of Harlech. I started sobbing like an infant.

4. Bobby Shinton -
Living God.

17920f98f222827be9e3807d622df729.jpg

1. The Pittsburgh Steelers

2. I come from a big Pittsburgh family. I have old newspapers that my Grandma collected from the moon landing, Nixon resigning, JFK being assassinated, and the Pirates winning the 1971 World Series. That's how Pittsburgh my family is. My Grandma thought the Pirates winning the World Series was up there with man landing on the moon. :lol:

3. Super Bowl XL. After a win in his hometown of Detroit Jerome Bettis retired. An amazing way to end your career.

4. O.J. Simpson. A shining example that you can cut your ex-wife's head off, and get away with it.

Minnesota Wild.
Hockey is the only sport I enjoy.

Had season tickets to the North Stars as a family when I was young. Then the bastard owner moved the team to Dallas. No pro hockey in the State of Hockey for 10 years until the Wild.

Many pro players come from state.

1.Who are they ?

I will kick off.

1, Wrexham AFC.

2. My Dad took me when I was 7 years old and I thought it was the most amazing thing ever.I have never lost that feeling.

3. When we were at our lowest ebb we actually won a cup final.It was such a tough time for us all. As the players were parading round the pitch the stadium announcer started playing the club song Men of Harlech. I started sobbing like an infant.

4. Bobby Shinton -
Living God.

Today?
1. Oakland Raiders

2. They need all the help they can get. Nah, seriously, they haven’t changed their uniforms much in 40 years. I always liked pirates. And they always seem to be in the middle of controversy.

Part of the love you have for the Raiders and teams like them is all the heart ache that comes along with loving them.
You keep waiting for them to screw something up and lose the game.:whip:

3. The Holy Rolller :up:(where you fumble the ball forward in hopes your team mate will recover it)

The Immaculate Reception :tongue-44:

The Tuck Rule:tongue-44:

There are several other moments, the largest (I think) butt whooping ever in the Super Bowl, Jack Tatum paralyzing a player on the field, their taking chances on players who other teams would never dream of drafting…. The “Raiders of the Lost Park” era which continues today. There is a flea market in the parking lot of their stadium!!!!

4. Lester Hayes. A tribute to muscle over mind.

2. I come from a big Pittsburgh family. I have old newspapers that my Grandma collected from the moon landing, Nixon resigning, JFK being assassinated, and the Pirates winning the 1971 World Series. That's how Pittsburgh my family is. My Grandma thought the Pirates winning the World Series was up there with man landing on the moon. :lol:

3. Super Bowl XL. After a win in his hometown of Detroit Jerome Bettis retired. An amazing way to end your career.

4. O.J. Simpson. A shining example that you can cut your ex-wife's head off, and get away with it.

Ahh Pittsburgh sports. Willie Stargell; a 300 pound professional baseball players. One time I saw him break a bat then pull another one out from under his stomach.

just razzing ya.

Liverpool Football Club, Minnesota Vikings, Saskatchewan Roughriders

I fell in love with soccer as a small kid, and Liverpool were the best team in the world at the time, so I fell in love with Liverpool FC.

Minnesota were the "local" NFL team, and they used to be shown on the North Dakota channels on TV. Plus, I thought they had really cool helmets.

I grew up in Saskatchewan. Enough said.

Ahh Pittsburgh sports. Willie Stargell; a 300 pound professional baseball players. One time I saw him break a bat then pull another one out from under his stomach.

just razzing ya.

I'm too young for Stargell, but my mom would go on about him nonstop. Him and Roberto Clemente were her favorite players.

I loved going to Three Rivers Stadium as a kid, and watching Bobby Bonilla and Barry Bonds play. This was long before Barry Bonds fucked up his reputation with steroids, and he was already an amazing player.

Minnesota were the "local" NFL team, and they used to be shown on the North Dakota channels on TV. Plus, I thought they had really cool helmets.

In the 3rd grade I remember we had to write a "pen pal" in the NFL. The person selected for me was on the Minnesota Vikings. About a week later our pen pals came into our classroom, talked with us, and took pictures. To this day I regret not still having the picture, or even remembering the guy's name. I remember being so happy to meet him, and have a picture with him.

1.Who are they ?

1. Dallas Cowboys.

2. I lived with my Aunt and Uncle for a year after my mom died, and because my Uncle Bill's favorite team (and he was a superfan) was Dallas. Been a Dallas fan since 1972, in good times and in bad.

3. Greatest memory was when Dallas played Denver in the Superbowl back in 1978. The foster family I was living with were HUGE Denver fans, and I decided that because it had just snowed, I was going to go skiing for the afternoon. My foster mother asked me why wasn't I watching the game, and I told her it was because I knew for a fact Dallas was going to win. When I came home, Sandy (the foster mother) was at the door, standing there pissed, and almost didn't let me back in the house because Dallas kicked the crap out of Denver.

4. Favorite player is currently Prescott, but the person I admired the most was their coach, Tom Landry. That dude was pure class.

1. New York Football Giants

2. My father was a Giant fan. I used to watch Fran Tarkenton throw to Homer Jones. I went almost twenty years before I saw my team make the playoffs

3. 2007 Super Bowl. Giants beat the 18-0 Patriots who were 13 point favorites. Manning to David Tyree helmet catch and then Plaxico Buress wide open in the end zone

4. Lawrence Taylor. The greatest defensive player of all time. Watching the fear in a QBs eyes, watching him single handedly break up a play. Got to watch his whole career

I guess New England is my favorite football team. Belichick is quite the competitor, he employs a lot of gamesmanship between de-flating the balls to spying on other teams practices- you have to love it. He knows every rule there is- the dirtiest player in the game.

Although the only sport I follow religiously is professional wrestling. I'll certainly watch the Super Bowl if its a compelling matchup, but personally I'm a bit sick of so many NFL players using the occasion to disrespect the Middle Class by kneeling during the national anthem.

I have two teams that are both near and dear to me, however if I have to pick one.

1. Portland Trailblazers

2. I liked listening to the radio and at night, my favorite station was the home of the Trailblazers and Bill Schonley was the radio broadcaster and the color man was either Dale Schlueter and when he wasn’t there it was Darrel Imhoff, the center that Chamberlin scored 100 points on. The Schonz was a great boardcaster the painted the games for you, phrases like lickety brindle up the floor, dribble,through the cyclops, and his most famous phrase Riiiiip City! Just loved listening to the rhythm of the game.

3. The Blazers 1977 run in the playoffs and to the title.

4. Tough one for me, Bill Walton, Mychal Thompson, Buck Williams, Kiki Vandeweigh, Billy Ray Bates, Arvidas Sabonis, all close however, I have to say, Clyde the Glide Drexler was my favorite.

Last edited:
1.Who are they ?

Minnesota Twins.

Default....I grew up in Minneapolis.

Two:...1) My first live game, where Harmon Killebrew hit a home run....2) The game in 1977 where Rod Carew topped the .400 BA mark.

Three-way tie:.....Harmon Killebrew, Kirby Puckett, and Fran Tarkenton (there was no stipulation that I had to remain within the game played).

It seems that support is heavily linked to where you are from and parental influence.
Its something that binds families. When my Taid passed on we sat around after the funeral, all feeling low.After a while my Dad broke the silence and said.
"Who have they got on Saturday?"
That was all it took.We chatted away about games we had seen with my Taid and it helped us cope with a horrible situation.
You cant pay that back.

1.Who are they ?

I will kick off.

1, Wrexham AFC.

4. Bobby Shinton -
Living God.

The day the music died part one

Earnhardt.png

Forum List

Back