your ideal government?

Alot of people on this board do alot of criticizing of our government. This is not a bad thing really, it's good that people care about government activities.

Here's a question, what is your ideal government? how it works, who works it, etc. Put down your ideas and stuff. Or don't, it's a free country!

Methinks you confuse a hyper-affinity for bitching with actually giving a damn! :lol:

That said, my ideal government is by the people, for the people and of the people, and allows me do to pretty much as I damn well please so long as it doesn't unfairly infringe on someone elses ability to do as they please.

so basically what we claim to be?

Alot of people on this board do alot of criticizing of our government. This is not a bad thing really, it's good that people care about government activities.

Here's a question, what is your ideal government? how it works, who works it, etc. Put down your ideas and stuff. Or don't, it's a free country!
http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/78947-your-ideal-government-political-philosophy.html

ha, thanks for me letting know.

Last edited:
Only to people who hold the words in that document as subjective and fungible.

Which of course, is virtually everyone.

I dont think the constitution is a living document, i think it has limitations on the governments power that are set in stone.

My ideal govt would be the smallest possible govt that you can realistically have.

Considering that the Constitution provides a process for it's own amendment, it most certainly IS a living document.

And even saying the smallest possible govt you can realistically have is decidedly nebulous. Especially when you'll have a helluva a time getting just two people to agree on what is realistic.

Methinks you confuse a hyper-affinity for bitching with actually giving a damn! :lol:

That said, my ideal government is by the people, for the people and of the people, and allows me do to pretty much as I damn well please so long as it doesn't unfairly infringe on someone elses ability to do as they please.

Close, but not exactly.

For example, I don't think the government should be allowed to infringe on an individuals choosing to take drugs or to earn money by being a prostitute.

Last edited:
lol this has already exceded the number of respones i thought i'd get by 25

Close, but not exactly.

For example, I don't think the government should be allowed to infringe on an individuals choosing to take drugs or to earn money by being a prostitute.

good point!
drugs and prostitution are okay with me as long as it's not in my house.

I dont think the constitution is a living document, i think it has limitations on the governments power that are set in stone.

My ideal govt would be the smallest possible govt that you can realistically have.

Considering that the Constitution provides a process for it's own amendment, it most certainly IS a living document.

And even saying the smallest possible govt you can realistically have is decidedly nebulous. Especially when you'll have a helluva a time getting just two people to agree on what is realistic.
Well, yes and no.

Amending the document is not how the "living rules" crowd goes about playing their game....No, for them, they like to play little word games as to what constitutes things like "general welfare" and "interstate commerce" to mean whatever they need it to mean to shove their agendas.

Well, yes and no.

Amending the document is not how the "living rules" crowd goes about playing their game....No, for them, they like to play little word games as to what constitutes things like "general welfare" and "interstate commerce" to mean whatever they need it to mean to shove their agendas.

My only rebuttal here is that you seem to imply that the agenda shoving mis-interpretation is one-sided. It isn't.

Both sides are more than willing to re-interpret whatever suits their agenda... As well as insist on strict literal interpretation when that suits their agenda.

Well, yes and no.

My only rebuttal here is that you seem to imply that the agenda shoving mis-interpretation is one-sided. It isn't.

Both sides are more than willing to re-interpret whatever suits their agenda... As well as insist on strict literal interpretation when that suits their agenda.
I fail to see how or where that's implied at all.

It has become more than clear over that last couple of decades that the vast bulk of the "constructionist" crowd are poseurs and liars.....They're the in-the-closet wing of the living rules mob.

There is no such thing as an ideal government.

I prefer Republic or Democracies personally. Well defined distribution of power. Not necessarily exactly like ours.

Economics-- mixed, with sensible regulations and strong monetary policies(Loose credit is a no no), some social programs mainly to keep our cities from burning due to desperation(or--the uncontrolled profit driven incentive that lacks any form of morality!!) Moderate Tax level(if talking income tax, 35 to 45% range. I have trouble argueing for a 50+% income tax for highly paid individuals, but can make such an arguement for certain corporations.)

Problem with our current government--politicians. corruption. misguided principles on governance. limited choices in national elections.

But I see nothing wrong with its underlying structure.

There is no such thing as an ideal government.

I prefer Republic or Democracies personally. Well defined distribution of power. Not necessarily exactly like ours.

Economics-- mixed, with sensible regulations and strong monetary policies(Loose credit is a no no), some social programs mainly to keep our cities from burning due to desperation(or--the uncontrolled profit driven incentive that lacks any form of morality!!) Moderate Tax level(if talking income tax, 35 to 45% range. I have trouble argueing for a 50+% income tax for highly paid individuals, but can make such an arguement for certain corporations.)

Problem with our current government--politicians. corruption. misguided principles on governance. limited choices in national elections.

But I see nothing wrong with its underlying structure.

great input!

Even if you don't see the document as dynamic, it still has a lot that open to the reader to determine. For example, what constitutes cruel and unusual punishment?

when i lived in copenhagen i liked how that ran.....

where?

where?

well...it was in a small town outside of copenhagen called trorod.....went to school in town....

My ideal Federal Government would be one that fits the following:

Provides for the common defense (national security)

Provides for the preservation of public peace, as well against internal convulsions as external attacks.

Provides for the regulation of commerce with other nations and between states.

Provides for the superintendent of our intercourse, political and commercial, with foreign countries (foreign affairs).

Does not waste the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

Recognizes that it was formed to protect the individual rights of its citizens.

Allows the States to control all the objects which in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives and liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement and prosperity of the State.

Recognizes that rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others, and not within the limits of the law because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

In other words my ideal government would be the Constitutional Republic as established by our Founding Fathers, not the one it has morphed into over the years through interpretation.

Forum List

Back