Your first political event, that you remember as a child

local elections where people gathered at the firehouse and watched the paper ballots be counted

Then they got on their horse drawn carriages, and road out of town on the dirt pathways, after stopping at the general store to get some coal for the stove.

My parents watching Watergate.

I was pissed I couldn't watch cartoons, not realizing at the time it was actually a live cartoon.

The earliest thing I remember is the attack on President Reagan. I just remember the whole chaos and craziness of that day.

I ran as Kennedy with my friend Chris the only Democrat against two girls as Nixon et cetera and we picked up one girl vote so we got three here in GOP country. Then I got thrown out of the inauguration assembly watching it on something?, because I sat down when we all started giggling uncontrollably during the national anthem. I thought that was a bit unfair. Then I went to a prep school in Buffalo and after a couple of months he was assassinated. I was in shop and the only person in the school watching TV when Walter Cronkite came on. I went to every classroom and office in the school and told everyone that he had died had been assassinated yikes. I think Joe Biden has gotten us back finally to that point so we can progress again thank you very much....

my bro says this is the 1st political article he read...from 1989:

''There is an evil wind blowing in the halls of Congress today that is reminiscent of the Spanish Inquisition,'' said Representative Jack Brooks of Texas, chairman of the Judiciary Committee. ''It is replacing comity and compassion with hatred and malice.'

Many thanks to Newt, Rush, Fox and the scumbag GOP give away to the rich party... Is that what they are talking about. My subscription ran out lol

When I was six years old, my job was to bring the newspaper in, and I noticed there was a man's huge picture on the front page. I asked my mother who it was, and she told me that everyone who served in WWII were happy because the large picture was to celebrate Ike Eisenhower's election to be the next President of the United States. At the dinner table, my mom explained that Eisenhower was the general in charge of WWII, which was won by the Allies, and his election was a celebration for all who served militarily in the war would be honored by the new President's win. Later on, I recall watching a little girl in Little Rock, Arkansas, being ushered into the school there as the first black girl to be integrated into an all-white school. President Eisenhower ruled men of every color of skin in our country, and he saw brave, strong, and good soldiers joining together to win the fight against Nazism in Europe who bombed a lot of our country's friends. When they got home, Eisenhower did all he could do to make sure everyone had a shot at having the best teachers. It was a confusing time of hearing one agreeing with Eisenhower, and another one would be using the N word against the Presidential support, with the National Guards keeping the peace in Little Rock so the little girl would get a good education since schools that were segregated as to color of black skin were not as good as the white schools in Arkansas.
In junior high, I watched a man they called "Kruschev" the President of Russia, hitting his podium with his shoe and declaring that "we will bury you!" to people who were just listening to the news and watching television. I didn't like it at all.

Forum List

Back