your favorite newpaper and/ or magazine columnist

shart_attack

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
hangin' with my bro e.coli
Do you have a favorite column writer for a newspaper or magazine or journal?

I stress those formats as criteria because while there are no doubt some good independent bloggers out there, it's my humble opinion that their names don't carry the same literary weights as columnists who are published by major media.

(And I also realize that I'm sort of shooting myself in the foot with what I said in the prior paragraph because I've little doubt that no avid reader honestly considers anyone who writes for Yahoo! or MSN as a "writer" — my preemptive apologies for presuming as such to anyone who disagrees.)

My favorite magazine columnist is unequivocally Time magazine's Joel Stein.

Though I do peruse the entirety of each new Time magazine that arrives in my mailbox, it has actually gotten to the point for me that Stein's columns are more often than not the only pieces in the magazine that I look forward to reading every week.

He is a brilliant, witty writer whose work has a special knack for giving me a boost when I'm in a seeming spiritual quicksand.

If you're not familiar with Stein's column (which he dubs "The Awesome Column"), I urge you to pick up the newest issue of Time, and turn to the next-to-last page of the magazine to give it a read. Even if you don't like it, I guarantee you that you'll remember it. He's just that astounding of a writer.

Whose columns do you enjoy the most?

Forum List

Back