Your 4 Greatest Rock Guitarists of All Time

So to what standards should we hold the greatest rock guitartist? Compositional skills? Technical skill? Improvisational skill? Style? All of'em? Any of'em?

Compositional skill: Jimmy Page, Steve Howe, Hendrix
Technical skill: Steve Howe, Hendrix, Malmsteen, Vai, Duane Allman(and many, many more)
Improv skill: Hendrix, Garcia
Style: Zappa, Townsend, Hendrix, Tony Ioni

Hendrix does it for me. Ever listened to Band of Gypsys? His improvisational soloing is mind blowing.

Steve Vai
Jimmy Page
Eddie Van Halen
Alex Lifeson

+

Ted Nugent
Kirk Hammett
Carlos Santana
Kerry King
Randy Rhoads

Hammet could not hold Mustaine's guitar case

well that is just your opinion.....Hammett places higher on every "BEST" guitar player poll i have ever seen.....as a matter of fact,many times, so does Megadeth's REAL lead guitarist...Marty Friedman.....just sayin....

Steve Vai
Jimmy Page
Eddie Van Halen
Alex Lifeson

+

Ted Nugent
Kirk Hammett
Carlos Santana
Kerry King
Randy Rhoads

well that is just your opinion.....Hammett places higher on every "BEST" guitar player poll i have ever seen.....as a matter of fact,many times, so does Megadeth's REAL lead guitarist...Marty Friedman.....just sayin....

So does Hendrix... means nothing.. Hendrix was different... not as technically proficient as his fans would lead you to believe.. not as compositional, as most of it is drug induced mindless shit.. the guy had some memorable work... but not the all around guitar god most put him out to be

I'd put Ace Frehley, Dimebag Darrell, and KK Downing above Hammet.. and those are in no way guitar gods

So does Hendrix... means nothing.. Hendrix was different... not as technically proficient as his fans would lead you to believe.. not as compositional, as most of it is drug induced mindless shit.. the guy had some memorable work... but not the all around guitar god most put him out to be

I'd put Ace Frehley, Dimebag Darrell, and KK Downing above Hammet.. and those are in no way guitar gods
i think a post or so back,we agreed about Jimi.....IMO Hendrix did not do enough to warrant his GODLY stature....and the funny thing is,Jimi would probaly be the first to say that....saying Frehley is a better player than Hammet is a stretch....but the other 2,especially Downing i agree.....Priest is one of the greatest guitar bands ever....Downing and Tipton took the duel leads to new heights

You're lucky I rep'd you for the Mustaine post or I'd be neg repping your ass for this Hendrix dis.

Every good riff Jimmy Page ever played is a Hendrix rip-off.

1. Ritchie Blackmore
2. Eddie Van Halen
3. Eric Clapton
4. Steve Vai

Hard to limit it to 4. There are other guitarists that I like for different reasons.

Forum List

Back