Your 4 Greatest Rock Guitarists of All Time

there are so many great players....where to begin....

Peter Green
Gary Moore
Michael Schenker
Johnny Winter
Michael Bloomfield....i know its 5....so sue me....:lol:

there are so many great players....where to begin....

Peter Green
Gary Moore
Michael Schenker
Johnny Winter
Michael Bloomfield....i know its 5....so sue me....:lol:

Mike Bloomfield...very good call "Harry". I like the "Super Session" album, with Al Kooper, and Steven Stills. Wasn't he in the Paul Butterfield Blues band?

No love for Alex Lifeson? Always overlooked just because he's teamed up with one of the greatest rock drummers of all time and the absolute greatest rock bassist of all time. But if you've ever seen him live, the man's got mad skills.

Glad to see some love for Steve Howe.

I don't have a list of numbered favorites, but my favorites are

Hendrix
Steve Howe
...geez too many to name and choose from to put on this list.

1) Yngwie Malmsteen (hell.. I even named my dog Yngwie.. no fucking joke) - There is nobody close.. lyrics to songs sucked, and his band was hodgepodge at best.. but he is the epitome of guitar god
2) Angus Young - Yes... power chords.. but much more talented than the average listener would know
3) Steve Vai - Took the teachings of Satriani 1 step further
4) Mark Knopfler - Another under appreciated master of the strings... can be mellow, can actually shred (though Dire Straits music generally does not call for that), and has some damn complex work

Honorable mentions
James Taylor - Yes, a folk player but talk about complexity of melody that is not commonly seen.. but not 'really' rock, so can't make the list
Ritchie Blackmore - The body of work speaks for itself
Randy Rhoads - Oh... what if comes into play here.. what could have been
David Gilmour - Possibly the best studio guitarist EVER

Over-rateds
Jimi Hendrix - 'Controversial' in his time, but senseless crap most of the time influenced by the extreme drug use
Jimmy Page - One of the main reasons why I am a rock/metal fan and I hate Led Zep
Kirk Hammett - Far inferior to even Mustaine
Slash - Another not as good as the guy he replaced.. hype of the band added to the hype of the guitarist

i would also like to say that i think Chuck Berry, for what he did for rock guitar in the 50's.....his influence is still felt....

He does deserve at least a honorable mention for Johnny B. Goode alone.

Two rock legends here:

[youtube]epHPXZBsp8M[/youtube]

And Two rock legends here too:

[youtube]45V1Q_C2Wpc[/youtube]

And of course, Jimi proving why he is the best:

[youtube]P5BOf-8vHoY[/youtube]

Last edited:
1) Yngwie Malmsteen (hell.. I even named my dog Yngwie.. no fucking joke) - There is nobody close.. lyrics to songs sucked, and his band was hodgepodge at best.. but he is the epitome of guitar god
2) Angus Young - Yes... power chords.. but much more talented than the average listener would know
3) Steve Vai - Took the teachings of Satriani 1 step further
4) Mark Knopfler - Another under appreciated master of the strings... can be mellow, can actually shred (though Dire Straits music generally does not call for that), and has some damn complex work

Honorable mentions
James Taylor - Yes, a folk player but talk about complexity of melody that is not commonly seen.. but not 'really' rock, so can't make the list
Ritchie Blackmore - The body of work speaks for itself
Randy Rhoads - Oh... what if comes into play here.. what could have been
David Gilmour - Possibly the best studio guitarist EVER

Over-rateds
Jimi Hendrix - 'Controversial' in his time, but senseless crap most of the time influenced by the extreme drug use
Jimmy Page - One of the main reasons why I am a rock/metal fan and I hate Led Zep
Kirk Hammett - Far inferior to even Mustaine
Slash - Another not as good as the guy he replaced.. hype of the band added to the hype of the guitarist

and when i saw Knopfler his solos were so close to the recordings.....he is a dam good player....

1)

Over-rateds

yes i agree,i feel Jimi was good,but kinda over rated.....there are guys who can play circles around him,and have carried rock guitar to new heights....he is ALWAYS,AUTOMATICALLY, no.1 on every frigging guitar poll....and your thing about him playing fucked up....yup....

No love for Alex Lifeson? Always overlooked just because he's teamed up with one of the greatest rock drummers of all time and the absolute greatest rock bassist of all time. But if you've ever seen him live, the man's got mad skills.

None. Rush is icky. :)

Wow.. I forgot Nugent.. (He actually played a concert at my school when I was in 4th grade).

To this day, I still can't remember why.

A fund raiser for his book, "Kill it and Grill it" perhaps?

Wonder why he would be putting on a concert in an elementary school?

I don't know.. But I was in 4th grade a damned long time ago, so maybe he was still "new"? *shrug*

No, by the time you were in 4th grade he was dying his hair.:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back