Young black man jailed since April for alleged $5 theft found dead in cell

David_42

Registered Democrat.
Aug 9, 2015
This makes me sick, just like the murder of those reporters.. So many horrible things happening.
Jamycheal Mitchell, 24, had been held in Virginia jail without bail for nearly four months, accused of stealing a Mountain Dew, Snickers bar and a Zebra Cake

600.jpg

Jamycheal Mitchell, 24, was arrested in April for allegedly stealing a Mountain Dew, a Snickers bar and a Zebra Cake from a 7-Eleven. Photograph: Facebook
Jon Swaine in New York

@jonswaine
Friday 28 August 2015 15.57 EDTLast modified on Saturday 29 August 201513.15 EDT
Save for later
A young black man arrested by police in Portsmouth, Virginia, has been found dead in jail after spending almost four months behind bars without bail for stealing groceries worth $5.

Jamycheal Mitchell, who had mental health problems, was discovered lying on the floorof his cell by guards early last Wednesday, according to authorities. While his body is still awaiting an autopsy, senior prison officials said his death was not being treated as suspicious.

“As of right now it is deemed ‘natural causes’,” Natasha Perry, the master jail officer at the Hampton Roads regional jail in Portsmouth, said of his death in an interview. Perry said there were no obvious outward signs of injury to the 24-year-old’s body. Portsmouth police are looking into the death.

Mitchell’s family said they believed he starved to death after refusing meals and medication at the jail, where he was being held on misdemeanour charges of petty larceny and trespassing. A clerk at Portsmouth district court said Mitchell was accused of stealing a bottle of Mountain Dew, a Snickers bar and a Zebra Cake worth a total of $5 from a 7-Eleven.

Officials said that after his arrest, Mitchell was taken to Portsmouth city jail, where he stayed for almost three weeks before being transferred across the city to the regional jail on 11 May.
Young black man jailed since April for alleged $5 theft found dead in cell

Moderation Note:
Copyrighted quote shortened to comply with "fair use" and USMB rules..
FCT

Last edited by a moderator:
Black lives matter!
"But the hospital said it had no vacancy and the 24-year-old was therefore detained in jail until his death on 19 August, according to Adams, Mitchell’s aunt, who said she had tried to assist the hospitalisation process herself but was left frustrated.

“He was just deteriorating so fast,” she said. “I kept calling the jail, but they said they couldn’t transfer him because there were no available beds. So I called Eastern State, too, and people there said they didn’t know anything about the request or not having bed availability.”"
Very sad.

Black lives matter!
"But the hospital said it had no vacancy and the 24-year-old was therefore detained in jail until his death on 19 August, according to Adams, Mitchell’s aunt, who said she had tried to assist the hospitalisation process herself but was left frustrated.

“He was just deteriorating so fast,” she said. “I kept calling the jail, but they said they couldn’t transfer him because there were no available beds. So I called Eastern State, too, and people there said they didn’t know anything about the request or not having bed availability.”"
Very sad.

The little puke offed himself, get over it. Hell he might even get a street named after him like sandra bland.

There seems to be a remarkable number of mentally ill black people. Is it genetic?

Stealing something worth $5 that is only alleged shouldn't mean spending months in prison. I hope he gets a investigation and the truth is found.
If this was his first offense, id agree, but he has a list of theft and trespassing charges going back to 2010. This is a career criminal with priors.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back