You went full Atlas Shrugged. Never go full Atlas Shrugged.

If you had read your own link, you would see the Biden administration is talking about drugs which were developed with funds from taxpayers.

Maybe I should have been more specific. If the government wants the fruit to basically be public domain, they should do the R&D themselves--fully and exclusively. But to seize binding patents simply because grant money was given to a private business is not an acceptable rationale. The government issues grants for all kinds of things to private businesses and individuals. If a grant justifies seizing patents, then it can justify seizing anything else. The PPP loans were turned into grants up being forgiven. Doesn't mean the government should seize a company's employees.

Maybe I should have been more specific. If the government wants the fruit to basically be public domain, they should do the R&D themselves--fully and exclusively. But to seize binding patents simply because grant money was given to a private business is not an acceptable rationale. The government issues grants for all kinds of things to private businesses and individuals. If a grant justifies seizing patents, then it can justify seizing anything else. The PPP loans were turned into grants up being forgiven. Doesn't mean the government should seize a company's employees.
What is a binding patent beyond something the government itself issues and enforces? There is a middle ground between government backed monopoly and nationalized industries.

You're an idiot. A patent is a business using the force of law to prevent competition. It's the philosophy of scarcity. As I said, try reading a libertarian philosopher rather than a bad fiction writer.
It appears that your libertarian author buddy is a much better philosopher, than an inventor.

It appears that your libertarian author buddy is a much better philosopher, than an inventor.
That's because he was an economic philosopher and a writer.... 😄 He wasn't an inventor so why should expect him to be much of one?

What is a binding patent beyond something the government itself issues and enforces

Once again, a patent is a matter of PRIVATE LAW. The government doesn't enforce it, private entities do by suing anyone who infringes on their rights.

That's because he was an economic philosopher and a writer.... 😄 He wasn't an inventor so why should expect him to be much of one?
I wasn't expecting anything. It's just that he'd be if favor of patents if he was.
I realize that this thread is for demonizing big pharma, which is a good thing, but there are plenty of little guys in their garages, that use patents to keep from being ripped off.

Once again, a patent is a matter of PRIVATE LAW.
😄

And? All law is force. If you we take the libertarian axiom that the only justifiable force is force used in self defense how do you justify using force to enforce your patent?
The government doesn't enforce it, private entities do by suing anyone who infringes on their rights.
And who arbitrates these case and ensures judgment is followed?

I wasn't expecting anything. It's just that he'd be if favor of patents if he was.
What you're describing is self interest. I understand that inventors have a selfish interest in denying anyone the ability to reproduce their inventions.
I realize that this thread is for demonizing big pharma, which is a good thing, but there are plenty of little guys in their garages, that use patents to keep from being ripped off.
Ripped off how?

What you're describing is self interest. I understand that inventors have a selfish interest in denying anyone the ability to reproduce their inventions.

Ripped off how?
If you design something wonderful, that the whole world wants, ah, never mind. That's laughable in it's self.

You called inventors "selfish" for wanting to reap the benefits of their hard work.
That wasn't moral condemnation. Call it self interest if that terminology is more palpable to you to describe the natural priority people place over their wants and needs before anyone else's.

That wasn't moral condemnation. Call it self interest if that terminology is more palpable to you to describe the natural priority people place over their wants and needs before anyone else's.
Most people do that.

George Washington Carver discovered 300 uses for the peanut, then gave them to the world.

Forum List

Back