You can judge a society by how well it treats its prisoners

I

Indofred

Dostoevsky said:
You can judge a society by how well it treats its prisoners

He was partially right but I believe the better method is to judge a society by how it's criminals treat it.

A long time ago, I was installing some equipment in a local court.
That allowed me access to restricted areas and, most usefully, to places where I could hear the defendants before they entered the court but they could neither see or hear me.

That little insight gave me a insight into how these evil little fuckers think and how they try to screw the weaknesses of the justice system to wriggle out of their crimes.
I could hear the sods discussing their excuses but freely admitting what they'd done and, most importantly, talking about how to exploit the system so they could get off and commit further crimes.

Dostoevsky may have seen one side of the fence but he clearly had no understanding of the evil bastards we see in modern courts.
That makes his insights both out of date and only partially true.

I feel that, if the criminals have no respect for the rule of law, the society is broken.

So, I commend this motion to the house, "The better method is to judge a society by how it's criminals treat it".

Opinion?

Would do my darndest never to judge a society as a whole on anything. I don't blame all Iranians for the policies of their government, I don't blame all Islam for the actions of criminals using the religion as a scapegoat. I don't believe in lumping everyone together based on where some imaginary line on a map begins and ends.

As to this particular instance, I'd say simply how a locality treats its' prisoners is more a reflection of how that particular locality says prisoners should be treated. But what a policy says, and what individual guards might do is often very different.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back