Yo Barack...can You Spell Kobani?

The deal was struck when Bush signed an agreement with Iraq to pull out US troops and a time schedule a month before Obama came into office
You mean when your Obama surrendered....
No, I meant what I posted, which you can not refute because it is accurate. The agreement signed by Bush a month before he left office lacked a SOFA, status of forces agreement, which protects in country US forces from legal consequences and prosecution of alleged crimes and incidents while serving in a country.

Let's be careful about selective history ---

What you say is true. However, you are only telling half the story. Khalaki had agreed to a SOFA arrangement, but was taking internal political heat for being an "American puppet". The agreement was signed in order to give him political cover.

The agreement contained a clause that allowed continued negotiation on a SOFA agreement. Obama "attempted" to negotiate, but was unable to make a deal. (Those of us involved at DoD believe he didn't 'negotiate', and wasn't interested in closing the deal - he was only interested in using SOFA as an excuse to meet his campaign promise).

Further, three days prior to Obama's announcement, Khalaki offered a 1 year extension of the then current SOFA so they could continue to negotiate. Obama turned down the extension, and pulled the troops out, creating a vacuum that led to the rise of ISIS.

Obama had delusions of going down in history as the great peacemaker, but he forgot that peace only comes thru strength. Instead, he is going down in history as a pacifistic fuck up.
Malaki did not have authority to extend the SOFA. It needed the Iraqi Parlairlements approval and they were not budging on their insistence that the US withdrawal stayed on schedule. If you have a link and more information about the one-year extension offer claim I would be glad to read it and stand corrected.

Amazing.

U.S. and Iraq Had Not Expected Troops Would Have to Leave
Obama refused to sign plan in place to leave 10,000 troops in Iraq, Bush says
No, U.S. Troops Didn't Have to Leave Iraq, by Patrick Brennan, National Review

I used to work at Foggy Bottom, and the word in the break room was that Obama agreed to sign the extension, and then changed his mind, and pulled the plug. That, of course, has never been officially confirmed.
Thanks for the links, but they offer a lot of subjective opinions and nothing to really back up the allegation that Obama did not negotiate in good faith. In fact, the first link points out that it was the politics of the Iraqi Parliament that prevented an agreement from being reached. Actually, that first link could be used to support my opinion as well as yours.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda, arguments have very limited value in discussions about history.

The deal was struck when Bush signed an agreement with Iraq to pull out US troops and a time schedule a month before Obama came into office
No, I meant what I posted, which you can not refute because it is accurate. The agreement signed by Bush a month before he left office lacked a SOFA, status of forces agreement, which protects in country US forces from legal consequences and prosecution of alleged crimes and incidents while serving in a country.

What you say is true. However, you are only telling half the story. Khalaki had agreed to a SOFA arrangement, but was taking internal political heat for being an "American puppet". The agreement was signed in order to give him political cover.

The agreement contained a clause that allowed continued negotiation on a SOFA agreement. Obama "attempted" to negotiate, but was unable to make a deal. (Those of us involved at DoD believe he didn't 'negotiate', and wasn't interested in closing the deal - he was only interested in using SOFA as an excuse to meet his campaign promise).

Further, three days prior to Obama's announcement, Khalaki offered a 1 year extension of the then current SOFA so they could continue to negotiate. Obama turned down the extension, and pulled the troops out, creating a vacuum that led to the rise of ISIS.

Obama had delusions of going down in history as the great peacemaker, but he forgot that peace only comes thru strength. Instead, he is going down in history as a pacifistic fuck up.
Malaki did not have authority to extend the SOFA. It needed the Iraqi Parlairlements approval and they were not budging on their insistence that the US withdrawal stayed on schedule. If you have a link and more information about the one-year extension offer claim I would be glad to read it and stand corrected.

You might want to have read the article first where the Iraqi Parliament OVERWHELMINGLYNCH supported the first SOFA
Ya Frank, that has about as much validity as your goofy one about Condi Rice" negotiating an agreement in 2004. In 2004 Irag's military had been destroyed and what was left disbanded, the police and other public safety forces had been disbanded also. In addition, leftovers from the Saddam regime were still fighting both the US and struggeling new Iraqi government, a civil war had started between the Shite and Sunni tribes, al Qaeda had joined the warfare as an opportunity to kill American troops and what passed as an Iraqi government could barely get started. Not only did the Iraqi's not ask or want US and allied troops to leave, they welcomed an increase of those forces.

Amazing.

I used to work at Foggy Bottom, and the word in the break room was that Obama agreed to sign the extension, and then changed his mind, and pulled the plug. That, of course, has never been officially confirmed.
Thanks for the links, but they offer a lot of subjective opinions and nothing to really back up the allegation that Obama did not negotiate in good faith. In fact, the first link points out that it was the politics of the Iraqi Parliament that prevented an agreement from being reached. Actually, that first link could be used to support my opinion as well as yours.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda, arguments have very limited value in discussions about history.

LOL --- if Obama himself chiseled it in stone, you would still try to weasel out of it.

Just accept the reality, and let it go ... you will sleep ever so much better at night.

(Psst: Go back and read the first link again - and then get back with us.)

I did

Amazing.

LOL --- if Obama himself chiseled it in stone, you would still try to weasel out of it.

Just accept the reality, and let it go ... you will sleep ever so much better at night.

(Psst: Go back and read the first link again - and then get back with us.)
I'm not weaseling out of anything.
I did read it and paid special attention to the conclusion in the last nine paragraphs. I probably read it back in Nov. of 2011. The last nine paragraphs that conclude the article confirm the things I have stated in my post. Perhaps you should read it again, especially that final nine paragraph conclusion.

Spare_change, post: 16645649

You are full of shit. Iraq's Parliament in no way would accept any extended stay if US troops in Iraq. Muqtada al Sadr was Maliki's power base in Parliament.

Sadr pledged war against US troops had they remained after Bysh's deadline. Bush told Iraqis three years earlier they were ready to defend themselves.

Maliki could not cut a deal and most experts agree Maluku was corrupt and didn't want US oversight.

You can end your fake news now and for good.

Obama is gone. I hear Trump was awol the night our Special ops got killed on Trump's first publicity stunt raid.

CrusaderFrank, post: 16647509
You might want to have read the article first where the Iraqi Parliament OVERWHELMINGLYNCH supported the first SOFA

So you admit Iraq's Parliament had to approve the first Bush's weak three year surrender SOFA IN December 2008.

You lose your argument because they did not have the votes for new SOFA in 2011.

CrusaderFrank, post: 16647509

So you admit Iraq's Parliament had to approve the first Bush's weak three year surrender SOFA IN December 2008.

You lose your argument because they did not have the votes for new SOFA in 2011.

Obama decided to hand over the real estate to his brothers in Jihad, his flaccid attempt to get the Iraqi Parliament agreement was just a cheap excuse

Spare_change, post: 16645649

You are full of shit. Iraq's Parliament in no way would accept any extended stay if US troops in Iraq. Muqtada al Sadr was Maliki's power base in Parliament.

Sadr pledged war against US troops had they remained after Bysh's deadline. Bush told Iraqis three years earlier they were ready to defend themselves.

Maliki could not cut a deal and most experts agree Maluku was corrupt and didn't want US oversight.

You can end your fake news now and for good.

Obama is gone. I hear Trump was awol the night our Special ops got killed on Trump's first publicity stunt raid.
You know, sometimes I wonder why I choose to do battle with the incredibly stupid.

You are clearly unfamiliar with what was going on at the time. You are regurgitating perverted liberal talking points that twist the truth in order to try to prop a failed liberal presidency.

Maliki offered Obama a six month "extension" because they, nor the Parliament, wanted the US troops to leave. They were well aware of the condition/training of their security troops, and knew they would not be able to sustain the country. Obama initially indicated he would accept it, and the morning before the announcement, pulled the rug out from under the negotiations.

Frankly,I don't care whether you believe that or not. I recognize it doesn't fit your political agenda, but it is the truth. You can twist it, you can pervert it, all to your little heart's content, but in the end, history will document the truth - Obama intentionally took an untenable stance in order to back the Iraqi's into a corner that gave them no choice.

But,hey ... what do i know? I was just there.

"But on immunities only the Kurdish parties, with some 60 seats, would offer support. Neither Mr. Maliki, with some 120 seats, nor former Prime Minister Ayad Allawi, the leader of the largely Sunni Arab Iraqiya party with 80 more, would definitively provide support. "

Spare_change, post: 16649849
Maliki offered Obama a six month "extension" because they, nor the Parliament, wanted the US troops to leave.

. The Obama administration was willing to “roll over” the terms of the 2008 Status of Forces Agreement as long as the new agreement, like the first, was ratified by the Iraqi Parliament.

Iraqi party leaders repeatedly reviewed the SOFA terms but by October 2011 were at an impasse. All accepted a U.S. troop presence—with the exception of the Sadrist faction, headed by the anti-American cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, which held some 40 of Iraq’s 325 parliamentary seats. But on immunities only the Kurdish parties, with some 60 seats, would offer support. Neither Mr. Maliki, with some 120 seats, nor former Prime Minister Ayad Allawi, the leader of the largely Sunni Arab Iraqiya party with 80 more, would definitively provide support. With time running out, given long-standing U.S. policy that troops stationed overseas must have legal immunity, negotiations ended and the troop withdrawal was completed.

Behind the U.S. Withdrawal from Iraq

Give me a reason to believe a liar who says he was there but says Iraq's Parliament wanted US troops to stay with immunity after 2011 or should I believe James F. Jeffrey, the Philip Solondz Distinguished Visiting Fellow at The Washington Institute who served as former U.S. ambassador to Iraq in 2010-2012 who says Iraq's Parliment would have nothing to do with granting troops immunity as they did in 2008.

Last edited:

Are you General David Petraeus. he was there. He has confirmed the truth I have been telling you. I believe him, not some rightwing lying fantasy maker.

Would Iraq's Parliament approve immunity for US troops staying after Bush's surrender agreement deadline came to pass.

No one says they would have. No one.

Are you General David Petraeus. he was there. He has confirmed the truth I have been telling you. I believe him, not some rightwing lying fantasy maker.

Would Iraq's Parliament approve immunity for US troops staying after Bush's surrender agreement deadline came to pass.

No one says they would have. No one.
Do they have immunity now? If it doesn't matter now...why did it matter when the Magic Neeeeeegro folded like a cheap suit?

deltex1, post: 16650464.
Do they have immunity now? If it doesn't matter now...why did it matter when the Magic Neeeeeegro folded like a cheap suit?

Yes they do have immunity. But once Mosul is liberated Sadr is calling for all US troops to get out.

Sadr caused Bush to surrender in 2008 by forcing all troops out within three years. He will do the same to spineless trump.

Sadr proposes post-Mosul roadmap, conditions U.S. troops pullout
by Mohamed Mostafa

Baghdad (IraqiNews.com) Shia cleric Muqtada al-Sadr has proposed a roadmap for the period following the anticipated liberation of Mosul from Islamic State, setting the withdrawal of foreign troops as a condition.

In a statement by his office on Monday, the firebrand cleric set out a 29-point roadmap for political and social co-existence in Iraq following the recapture of Iraq’s second largest city from the extremist group. Among those points was a demand for the Iraqi government to urge “occupier troops, even the so-called friendly ones, from Iraqi territories so as to preserve the state’ prestige and sovereignty,” as he put it.

Since you were a silo sitter you didn't have to worry about immunity on foreign soil. That's why you are a know nothing on the subject.

Of course troops sent in since 2014 have immunity you moron.

Why did Bush surrender with a three year agreement after lying us into the Iraq quagmire as Trump told you.

Obama got a ten year SOFA in Afghanistan so now asshole Trump won't have to worry about it while fighting terrorism there. That's what Bush could not do in Iraq.

So go run away and hide. Your are still stupid as you always have been.

Now you have a stupid president that stupids can be proud of.

Last edited:
less than 20% of the Iraqi population wanted U.S. troops.

CrusaderFrank, post: 16649724
Obama decided to hand over the real estate to his brothers in Jihad, his flaccid attempt to get the Iraqi Parliament agreement was just a cheap excuse

Parliament had to approve it to make it legal. That's why Bush settled for so much less. He had to get it approved.

Here is what changed in Iraq from 2008 to 2011.

"Given the success in winning a SOFA in 2008, what led to this failure? First, the need for U.S. troops was not self-evident in 2011. Iraq appeared stable, with oil exports of two million barrels a day at about $90 a barrel, and security much improved. Second, politics had turned against a troop presence; the bitterly anti-U.S. Sadrists were active in Parliament, the Sunni Arabs more ambivalent toward the U.S., and polls indicated that less than 20% of the Iraqi population wanted U.S. troops."

So you actually expected Obama to reinvade Iraq and do away with 80% of Iraqis that did not want US TROOPS ON THEIR LAND.

"But on immunities only the Kurdish parties, with some 60 seats, would offer support. Neither Mr. Maliki, with some 120 seats, nor former Prime Minister Ayad Allawi, the leader of the largely Sunni Arab Iraqiya party with 80 more, would definitively provide support. "

Maliki offered Obama a six month "extension" because they, nor the Parliament, wanted the US troops to leave.

. The Obama administration was willing to “roll over” the terms of the 2008 Status of Forces Agreement as long as the new agreement, like the first, was ratified by the Iraqi Parliament.

Iraqi party leaders repeatedly reviewed the SOFA terms but by October 2011 were at an impasse. All accepted a U.S. troop presence—with the exception of the Sadrist faction, headed by the anti-American cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, which held some 40 of Iraq’s 325 parliamentary seats. But on immunities only the Kurdish parties, with some 60 seats, would offer support. Neither Mr. Maliki, with some 120 seats, nor former Prime Minister Ayad Allawi, the leader of the largely Sunni Arab Iraqiya party with 80 more, would definitively provide support. With time running out, given long-standing U.S. policy that troops stationed overseas must have legal immunity, negotiations ended and the troop withdrawal was completed.

Give me a reason to believe a liar who says he was there but says Iraq's Parliament wanted US troops to stay with immunity after 2011 or should I believe James F. Jeffrey, the Philip Solondz Distinguished Visiting Fellow at The Washington Institute who served as former U.S. ambassador to Iraq in 2010-2012 who says Iraq's Parliment would have nothing to do with granting troops immunity as they did in 2008.

I have no interest in explaining it to you again ... I didn't say i was THERE - i said I was working with the State Department at the time.

You can believe whatever distorted view of history you like ... it means nothing to me. Frankly, idiots like you who buy into the twisted reality are a dime a dozen.

deltex1, post: 16650464.

Yes they do have immunity. But once Mosul is liberated Sadr is calling for all US troops to get out.

Sadr caused Bush to surrender in 2008 by forcing all troops out within three years. He will do the same to spineless trump.

by Mohamed Mostafa

Baghdad (IraqiNews.com) Shia cleric Muqtada al-Sadr has proposed a roadmap for the period following the anticipated liberation of Mosul from Islamic State, setting the withdrawal of foreign troops as a condition.

In a statement by his office on Monday, the firebrand cleric set out a 29-point roadmap for political and social co-existence in Iraq following the recapture of Iraq’s second largest city from the extremist group. Among those points was a demand for the Iraqi government to urge “occupier troops, even the so-called friendly ones, from Iraqi territories so as to preserve the state’ prestige and sovereignty,” as he put it.

Since you were a silo sitter you didn't have to worry about immunity on foreign soil. That's why you are a know nothing on the subject.

Of course troops sent in since 2014 have immunity you moron.

Why did Bush surrender with a three year agreement after lying us into the Iraq quagmire as Trump told you.

Obama got a ten year SOFA in Afghanistan so now asshole Trump won't have to worry about it while fighting terrorism there. That's what Bush could not do in Iraq.

So go run away and hide. Your are still stupid as you always have been.

Now you have a stupid president that stupids can be proud of.
How come Obabble got no credit for negotiating your myth of immunity you insufferable twit?

Forum List

Back