Yet another reason I like Tina Fey

I am against any law that censors (except for the very few exceptions on the books with which I agree).

I am all for and even applaud the 'natural' censorship that the public attempts through their own rights to free speech. The best at free speech, wins. Those are the breaks.

Tell the Dixie Chicks....

Exactly who has silenced them or even tried to?

You do understand the difference between choosing to no longer paying them to listen to their music and trying to prevent them from ever saying anything dont you?

Oh, pardon me...my bad. You know threatening to pull their songs, and not buy their songs due to a political statement is not silencing them...no, no, no...:talk2hand::talk2hand::talk2hand::talk2hand:

If you believe that I've got a bridge to sell you in brooklyn..:cuckoo:
You do know, don't you, that the First Amendment doesn't guarantee you acceptance of your views and a paying audience, right?

Actions have consequences. The Chicks found that out. Idiot leftists still aren't clear on the concept.

How about Dan Rather?
Dan Rather was someone else who was surprised to find out that actions have consequences.
Or Hillary while Bill was president?
The right didn't want Hillary silenced. They didn't want her to exercise any power, because she wasn't an elected official, her claims that "We are the President" to the contrary.

Tell the Dixie Chicks....

Exactly who has silenced them or even tried to?

You do understand the difference between choosing to no longer paying them to listen to their music and trying to prevent them from ever saying anything dont you?

Oh, pardon me...my bad. You know threatening to pull their songs, and not buy their songs due to a political statement is not silencing them...no, no, no...:talk2hand::talk2hand::talk2hand::talk2hand:

Radio stations have a right not to play any song they choose not to. In fact, since they actually have to pay to play a song, I see it is them exercising their right not to buy something. Last time I looked, that was perfectly legal.

So now we are obligated to purchase songs of musicians we may not like for whatever reason or we are silencing them? I guess I'm silencing Eminem. Funny. He doesn't seem very silenced to me.

You have seriously come up with one of the most illogical arguments I've ever seen there. If I put you on ignore are you silenced because i choose not to listen to you? hardly. You are still free to say whatever you want. Simply because you are free to say what you want doesnt mean I have any obligation to listen to you. In fact, I have the right not to.

I agree with some of what you say. But please, don't be so ignorant as to say that threatening not to buy something because of a political statement they said is not an attempt at silencing.

If you were a fan of eminem and you stopped buying his stuff because he makes a political statement, then that is a form of censorship. If you didn't like him in the first place, then your point is moot.

Clint Eastwood, Arnie, John Wayne, Gene Simmons, Adam Sandler, Joan Allen - I could go on. All have endorsed or supported a Republican candidate at one time or another and I would never stop watching their movies or buying their movies because of it. Again, another point of difference between us normal folk and right-wing loons.....

Edit:
So if you call for the boycott of a product due to a political statement, if that is not trying to silence somebody, what is it?

I can describe the essence of your post in one word, bullshit.

If we believe the people on the left who routinely organize boycotts, and I see no reason not to, they are an attempt to heighten the awareness of an issue and even punish behavior you do not like. Was it censorship when people called for boycotts of South African products because of Apartheid? If it was, why did it stop when the stated goal of reform in the government that allowed the majority black population to have civil rights?

So now we are obligated to purchase songs of musicians we may not like for whatever reason or we are silencing them? I guess I'm silencing Eminem. Funny. He doesn't seem very silenced to me.

You have seriously come up with one of the most illogical arguments I've ever seen there. If I put you on ignore are you silenced because i choose not to listen to you? hardly. You are still free to say whatever you want. Simply because you are free to say what you want doesnt mean I have any obligation to listen to you. In fact, I have the right not to.

I agree with some of what you say. But please, don't be so ignorant as to say that threatening not to buy something because of a political statement they said is not an attempt at silencing.

If you were a fan of eminem and you stopped buying his stuff because he makes a political statement, then that is a form of censorship. If you didn't like him in the first place, then your point is moot.

Clint Eastwood, Arnie, John Wayne, Gene Simmons, Adam Sandler, Joan Allen - I could go on. All have endorsed or supported a Republican candidate at one time or another and I would never stop watching their movies or buying their movies because of it. Again, another point of difference between us normal folk and right-wing loons.....

Edit:
So if you call for the boycott of a product due to a political statement, if that is not trying to silence somebody, what is it?

If we believe the people on the left who routinely organize boycotts, and I see no reason not to, they are an attempt to heighten the awareness of an issue and even punish behavior you do not like. Was it censorship when people called for boycotts of South African products because of Apartheid? If it was, why did it stop when the stated goal of reform in the government that allowed the majority black population to have civil rights?

So now you're comparing apartied to the Dixie Chicks having an opinion...hhhmmmm....

Edit:

So now you're comparing apartied to the Dixie Chicks having an opinion...hhhmmmm....

Wow.

What I did was compare the call for a boycott of the Dixie Chicks to the call for a boycott of South Africa. Unlike some people, who shall remain nameless, I support people's right to boycott anything, even stuff I support.

Depends on the school....and the educators. But back to the Op Ed...certain people show disdain for education for no other reason, and intelligent, educated person can make them look stupid....

It's truly amazing that an "educated" guy, such as yourself, is so pathetic at simple communication....... I can't believe how poorly you write. You certainly aren't the intelligent, educated person that can make anyone look stupid .......except for yourself, that is...... you're quite talented at doing that.

And yet my chosen profession is a journalist/editor, which I have been employed as for the past 18 years.

Yours is supposedly a photographer, yet you're a baggage handler at an airport in Nowheresville....

Well maybe I can't make anyone look stupid, but you and Allie are easy marks for sure...

Typical liberal twat........ I'm curious shit breath, do you honestly think that your attempts at belittling me by constantly bringing up one of the jobs I do, is effective? You only know about the airline job because I announced it to the board, obviously I'm not ashamed of the work I do, why do you have such a problem with it. Is it because there is no way in hell you could survive a day doing the very physical work I do? You demonstrate your elitist attitude repeatedly......... why would anyone be impressed with an obituary writer for a tiny rag in New Zealand? By the way, I can jump on a plane and come visit you for free....... first class of course........ gee what a lousy benefit from a job that I can work 12 hours a week at. Instead of that though, I will be flying to Bejing this fall, first class and will spend 7 days and 6 nights, be provided room and board at a nice hotel and taken on whatever tours I want and it will cost me 500 dollars.....I'm sure you'll wish me a Bon Voyage.

Typical liberal twat........ I'm curious shit breath, do you honestly think that your attempts at belittling me by constantly bringing up one of the jobs I do, is effective? .

Going by the rest of the rant that went with this post, why yes I do.

As an aside, you brought up occupations. Either take your lumps or shut the fuck up...you come across as a whiny bitch. Then again, maybe you are...

Wow.

What I did was compare the call for a boycott of the Dixie Chicks to the call for a boycott of South Africa. Unlike some people, who shall remain nameless, I support people's right to boycott anything, even stuff I support.

That is fine and dandy. But please don't tell me said boycott is not aimed at silencing them. That is just being silly...

No, what is silly is pretending that withholding support is the same as "silencing". Just as it is silly to pretend that people in public places are being "forced" to listen to other people in those public places who are speaking.

Wow.

That is fine and dandy. But please don't tell me said boycott is not aimed at silencing them. That is just being silly...

Leland Yee recently called for a boycott of Rush Limbaugh and his advertisers over his impersonation of China's president. I did not see anyone whinging about an attempt to silence Limbaugh, and I do not view it as such. If you do feel free to speak up and condemn it.

In the meantime I will remain true to my views and declare that a boycott is not censorship. Feeling the way I do about censorship, I refuse to dilute the issue by insisting that a call not to support something is the equivalent of trying to suppress it.

Edit:

Really........ editor/writer?????!!!!!! It's Apartheid, or is it spelled different in New Zealand?! Do you have a 3rd grader proofing for you? 18 years and you can't write worth a shit and can't spell to save your life, what kind of hack publication would pay you........ or are you paid?

Forum List

Back