Yes, this is real: Michigan just banned banning plastic bags

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014

new law in Michigan will prohibit local governments from banning, regulating or imposing fees on the use of plastic bags and other containers. You read that correctly: It’s not a ban on plastic bags — it’s a ban on banning plastic bags.

Michigan Lt. Gov. Brian Calley signed the new public act into law on Wednesday, along with 11 other bills. Gov. Rick Snyder is currently on vacation out of state, local news sources reported, and Calley has the authority to sign bills into law in his absence.

I guess we have to keep our long poles with hooks to get them out of the trees.

But it's not illegal to throw them in the trash. That would be an interesting option. Make it illegal to put any recyclable material into trash. Mandatory recycling. I could go for that.

But it's not illegal to throw them in the trash. That would be an interesting option. Make it illegal to put any recyclable material into trash. Mandatory recycling. I could go for that.

Good idea, but hard to enforce. Most people would rather just throw it all in one bin and be done with it.

And............to be fair............we already have recycling places now, but nobody uses them. Do you REALLY want the government to regulate how and what you throw away?

new law in Michigan will prohibit local governments from banning, regulating or imposing fees on the use of plastic bags and other containers. You read that correctly: It’s not a ban on plastic bags — it’s a ban on banning plastic bags.

Michigan Lt. Gov. Brian Calley signed the new public act into law on Wednesday, along with 11 other bills. Gov. Rick Snyder is currently on vacation out of state, local news sources reported, and Calley has the authority to sign bills into law in his absence.

Around here we call them Wal Mart tumbleweeds...

The GOP party is not gonna be completely satisfied until this country is completely destroyed and why nut after nut think this party is for human beings, let a lone poor white trashy people is beyond reason. But My wish is that those that vote this party suffer like a mf!!

Fuck that you going to pay me $40 bucks an hour for overtime?

Um really? Just buy a few reusable washable cloth bags and take them with you when you go shopping, come on now, what the hell is the big deal with that? It isn't hard. Oh my gauud! Now we need law to keep us from doing something so simple and obvious?

I heard this last week............damn near shit my short laughing. Michigan finally starting to come to its senses after being led by progressive bozo's for decades.:2up: Nothing has worked up there for years and years.

File this under MORE WINNING.

We have mandatory recycling. They don't want soft plastics. The depot takes them as a courtesy, otherwise just use them to bag garbage.

Granny says, "Dat's right...

... dey oughta be a law...

... dat ya can't ban sumpin'...

... dat ain't been banned yet."

More Republican hypocrisy, removing local control by local people, by the dictate of big government. Republicans just adore big government mandates.

The Facts All About Bags - Paper Versus Plastic Bags - Which is More Environmentally Friendly?

The belief that paper is better than plastic is not based on science or fact. It is based on misconceptions about how plastic bags are made, how landfills work, the incidence of plastic litter, and that non-biodegrading products are bad for the planet.
Numerous life cycle assessments demonstrate that conventional plastic bags are better for the environment than paper bags.
On resource use: plastic bags play an important role in the conservation of the natural gas resource. Plastic bags are made from clean energy natural gas in Canada, specifically from are a piece of natural gas – ethane that is often burned off in the natural gas refining process so that the gas will not burn too hot when used to heat our homes.
On manufacturing: paper bag manufacture is much more resource-intensive than plastic bag manufacture.
On reuse: it is difficult to reuse paper bags because they tend to tear.

On solid waste: paper bags have much greater mass and weigh five to seven times more than plastic bags so they add five to seven times more tonnage to the waste stream for municipalities to manage. This in turn results in a fivefold to sevenfold increase in greenhouse gas emissions.

The GOP party is not gonna be completely satisfied until this country is completely destroyed and why nut after nut think this party is for human beings, let a lone poor white trashy people is beyond reason. But My wish is that those that vote this party suffer like a mf!![/QUOTE]

Yes we Republicans just love living in a dirty place, breathe dirty air and drink dirty water. It's our evil plan to conquer the world. So why to Democrats want to turn the USA into a Communist Slave State and force all pregnant women to have an abortion against their will without anesthesia? Why do Democrats want to euthanize everyone over the age of 65 so their Social Security money can go to illegal aliens? Why do Democrats want to put Fidel Castro's picture on the one dollar bill? Why why why ???

So why to Democrats want to turn the USA into a Communist Slave State and force all pregnant women to have an abortion against their will without anesthesia?

Because you are having that delusion.

Why do Democrats want to euthanize everyone over the age of 65 so their Social Security money can go to illegal aliens?

Because you are having that delusion as well.

Why do Democrats want to put Fidel Castro's picture on the one dollar bill?

Because with that delusion your disconnect with reality is complete.

I believe that plastic bags should be recycled but not banned. Poor people need something to carry their stuff home.

It should be illegal to throw them in the trash or on the street.
Yes. Then you can fine the poor people, lol.

Forum List

Back