Zone1 Yes, the Bible DOES make a distinction between mortal and venial sin (I use a non-Catholic source)

1miseryindex

Platinum Member
Nov 17, 2023
USA

I guess you protestants who hate Catholicism and will go to your death saying it is WRONG because your Catholic-hating pastors told you it is

will have to come up with some source OTHER than scripture (ironically)

to prove that there is no distinction btwn mortal and venial sin

(again, because your pastors and other protestants have always told you that there isn't any distinction, and said pastors are very... well, you know... pope-like, or follow-worthy)

:rolleyes:

I guess you protestants who hate Catholicism and will go to your death saying it is WRONG because your Catholic-hating pastors told you it is

(again, because your pastors and other protestants have always told you that there isn't any distinction, and said pastors are very... well, you know... pope-like, or follow-worthy)

Okay, I give up. What are you trying to convey here? We sin all the time. Some sins are small sins that if not repented can move us towards larger sins that have great consequences in our lives and in eternal life. Here is a list that bunches several sins as though they carry the same weight. Romans Chapter 1:26-32, "26For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change their natural use into that which is against nature:
27) And like wise, also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
28) And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind to do those things which are not convenient;
29 - 31) Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness, full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity, whispers, backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, without understanding, covenant breakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful;
32) Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

So, we see major sins grouped in with minor sins. Guess all sins should be repented of. Do Catholics agree? Being proud, boaster, back biters, gossipers are grouped in with murderers and homosexuals.

Okay, I give up. What are you trying to convey here? We sin all the time. Some sins are small sins that if not repented can move us towards larger sins that have great consequences in our lives and in eternal life. Here is a list that bunches several sins as though they carry the same weight. Romans Chapter 1:26-32, "26For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change their natural use into that which is against nature:
27) And like wise, also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
28) And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind to do those things which are not convenient;
29 - 31) Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness, full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity, whispers, backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, without understanding, covenant breakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful;
32) Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

So, we see major sins grouped in with minor sins. Guess all sins should be repented of. Do Catholics agree? Being proud, boaster, back biters, gossipers are grouped in with murderers and homosexuals.
Oh look, a member of a false religion is trying to school someone who is in the TRUE Church!

whatever.... you may want to waste.. I mean spend your time talking to someone else. I've heard it all b4 anyhow

I thought the Pope was into blessing sin now.

Oh look, a member of a false religion is trying to school someone who is in the TRUE Church!

whatever.... you may want to waste.. I mean spend your time talking to someone else. I've heard it all b4 anyhow
I've been a member of the only true church teaching the only true gospel for 47 years now. I've heard all your BS anti-Mormon crap. I'm simply attempting to reason to your human side to help you understand there's a lot more in the Bible that you haven't begun to consider. When I first converted from Judaism to the true gospel of Jesus Christ, I wrote a good friend how excited I was and how he needed to do the same thing. The things I wrote in the letter hurt him. His wife wrote me back a letter that I remember today. She told me his reaction and then ended the letter with, "May God teach you patience." Why is patience an attribute of Jesus Christ? Because he listened to the answers of questions and statements people had. Did you know that the Bible mentions by name, Jesus Christ, 942 times? In The Book of Mormon, Jesus Christ is mentioned by name 3,925.

The Bible is the blueprint of Jesus Christ's church and how it should be built.
  • Jesus Christ organized the Church (Eph 4:11-14)
  • The true Church must bear the Name of Jesus Christ (Eph 5:23)
  • The true Church must have a foundation of Apostles and Prophets (Eph 2:19-20)
  • The true Church must have the same organization as Christ’s original Church (Eph 4:11-14)
  • The true Church must claim divine authority (Heb 5:4-10)
  • The true Church must have only these 2 Orders of the Priesthood - Melchizedek and Aaronic (Hebrews chapter 7)
  • The true Church must have no paid local ministry (1 Cor 9:16-18; Acts 20:33-34)
  • The true Church must baptize by immersion in water (Matt 3:13-16)
  • The true Church must bestow the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands (Acts 8:14-17)
  • The true Church must practice divine healing (Mark 3:14-15)
  • The true Church must teach that God and Jesus are separate and distinct individuals (John 17:11; 20:17)
  • The true Church must teach that God and Jesus have bodies of flesh and bone (Luke 23:36-39; Acts 1:9-11; Heb 1:1-3)
  • The true Church officers must be called by God (Heb 4:4; Ex 28:1; Ex 40:13-16)
  • The true Church must claim revelation from God (Amos 3:7)
  • The true Church must be a missionary Church (Matt 28:19-20)
  • The true Church must be a restored Church (Acts 3:19-20)
  • The true Church must practice baptism for the dead (1 Cor 15:16 and 29)
  • The true Church must teach “By their fruits ye shall know them” (Matt 7:20)
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has all of these.

I don't like overly wordy posts. I am not God, I do not have unlimited time to read through things... especially things that are obvious to ALL people or at least all Christians, things such as: sin... if not repented can move us toward larger sin...

So anyway, if you don't get my post, which I feel is fairly well-written, then... why all the words, which i have not read (save the first few sentences)?

I don't like overly wordy posts. I am not God, I do not have unlimited time to read through things... especially things that are obvious to ALL people or at least all Christians, things such as: sin... if not repented can move us toward larger sin...

So anyway, if you don't get my post, which I feel is fairly well-written, then... why all the words, which i have not read (save the first few sentences)?
You were the one who wrote the wordy incomprehensible post. Now you can’t simply explain your own?
:popcorn:

You were the one who wrote the wordy incomprehensible post. Now you can’t simply explain your own?
:popcorn:
well, I could solve the problem and make both of us happy.

I think Ignore is what is best

Some conversations just are NOT going anywhere and many posters here DON"T CARE

so yeh... why waste time?

There is mortal sin

fornication
adultery
masturbation
not going to Christ's Church on Sunday for Mass
abortion

and there is venial sin

not giving as much u can to the poor (could be mortal if you give NOTHING)
eating a tad too much (could be mortal if more than a tad)
violating the speed limit a tad... etc

Note that it says "A" sin, not a class of sins that WE think are worse than others. You know full well that if we break even the smallest part of the law, we're guilty of the entire law. Thank God we're not liable for that.

Forum List

Back