X or MLK

Well, shortly before he was killed Malcolm had come around to the notion that we all need to get along, so...

• Banned
What about them? How about Shabazz or MLK?

oh, i just figure shabazz was the voice of black america and MLK was the voice that white america was spoon fed.

i've just always been curious because a long time ago i went to the first day of my kids middle school. there was a big painting on the wall of MLK in the auditorium when we walked in...but i sat down and there was a big painting on the wall of malcolm X or shabazz (i'm OK with either). i always had a lot of respect for shabazz and see his pic in places, but not so much MLK jr.

malcolm works.

Last edited:

oh, i just figure shabazz was the voice of black america and MLK was the voice that white america was spoon fed.

i've just always been curious because a long time ago i went to the first day of my kids middle school. there was a big painting on the wall of MLK in the auditorium when we walked in...but i sat down and there was a big painting on the wall of malcolm X or shabazz (i'm OK with either). i always had a lot of respect for shabazz and see his pic in places, but not so much MLK jr.

malcolm works.

They only 'spoon fed' one aspect of one speech (I Have a Dream). If one reads that entire speech and many of his other speeches, one may come up with a different conclusion about him. I liked X because of his debating skills and manner of speaking. There were things I disagreed with when he was a spokesman for Elijah's organization. Though this comes from a different slant and may not seem initially favorable about MLK, the article below will maybe give people a different perspective about him.
Myths of Martin Luther King by Marcus Epstein

malcolm works.

Which one? The one who believed that white people were literally devils created by an evil scientist? The one who promoted violence and division that harmed black Americans more than anyone else? Or the one who finally admitted that violence is not the answer and that in the end we DO have to learn to live together? Which one?

malcolm works.

Which one? The one who believed that white people were literally devils created by an evil scientist? The one who promoted violence and division that harmed black Americans more than anyone else? Or the one who finally admitted that violence is not the answer and that in the end we DO have to learn to live together? Which one?

the after mecca after hajj malcolm, and i don't think any of your portrayals of him are accurate.

They are all accurate for different points in his tragically cut-short life.

More than any other single human being Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. made the 1960's what they were. It would have been a different decade without him. His "I have a dream" speech is often considered to be one of the greatest speeches in the English language. He gave other great speeches too.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UV1fs8lAbg&feature=related]I HAVE A DREAM... MARTIN LUTHER KING - August 23 1963 - YouTube[/ame]

If Malcom X had never lived, or if he had been murdered by a rival criminal during his youth, how would the United States be different? What did he actually achieve? The only whites who supported him were a few new left radicals.

In addition to being a great orator Martin Luther King was a political genius. He knew how to bring out the worst in his enemies. That is how he won white support outside of the South.

If Martin Luther King had never lived there is a reasonably good chance that the civil rights legislation would not have been passed. Historically there was only a window of time when it could have been passed. The black ghetto riots and the rise in black crime hardened white attitudes towards blacks. The inflationary recession of 1974, and the stagflation that persisted for the rest of the decade ended the post World War economic expansion, and with it the white consensus of optimism and generosity.

They are all accurate for different points in his tragically cut-short life.

I was around when he was alive and grew up near some neighbors who belonged to The Nation of Islam. I don't recall Malcolm X being an advocate of unprovoked violence but he did advocate self defense.

Last edited:
X or MLK
just curious?

I note that neither of them were murdered until they started talking about ECONOMIC RIGHTS.

When all they wanted was civil rights they posed no real threat.

But then they started talking about economics, and BOOM!

X or MLK
just curious?

I note that neither of them were murdered until they started talking about ECONOMIC RIGHTS.

Absolutely. March and April of 1968 were two of the busiest months of MLK's career. His involvement with the Memphis Sanitation workers strike was just one of several of the economic changes that he was visible in helping lead.

Martin Luther King, Jr., and Memphis Sanitation Workers

If Malcom X had never lived, or if he had been murdered by a rival criminal during his youth, how would the United States be different? What did he actually achieve? The only whites who supported him were a few new left radicals.

In addition to being a great orator Martin Luther King was a political genius. He knew how to bring out the worst in his enemies. That is how he won white support outside of the South.

If Martin Luther King had never lived there is a reasonably good chance that the civil rights legislation would not have been passed. Historically there was only a window of time when it could have been passed. The black ghetto riots and the rise in black crime hardened white attitudes towards blacks. The inflationary recession of 1974, and the stagflation that persisted for the rest of the decade ended the post World War economic expansion, and with it the white consensus of optimism and generosity.

if the reverend dr. martin luther king jr. didn't have malcolm and fred hampton and huey newton and bobby seale statnding behind him, white america may not have listened to MLK.

X or MLK
just curious?

Absolutely. March and April of 1968 were two of the busiest months of MLK's career. His involvement with the Memphis Sanitation workers strike was just one of several of the economic changes that he was visible in helping lead.

Martin Luther King, Jr., and Memphis Sanitation Workers

i think a philip randolph had a lot to do with that. he is the forgotton man. that guy needs a holiday. he lead the leaders.

if the reverend dr. martin luther king jr. didn't have malcolm and fred hampton and huey newton and bobby seale statnding behind him, white america may not have listened to MLK.

I doubt that very seriously. Those others reinforced white stereotypes of dangerous black men. Whites never had to give blacks equal rights. After the end of Reconstruction in 1876 whites in Southern states, where blacks were often close to a majority of the population, found it easy to reduce blacks to second class citizenship.

The only reason Jim Crow legislation came to an end in the South was pressure from whites outside of the South. The only reason apartheid came to an end in South Africa was international pressure.

Forum List

Back