WSJ on replacing US democracy

Whereisup

Jul 28, 2013
About 12 years ago, the Wall Street Journal ran an op ed piece by the columnist Samuelson in which he reported that a group of intellectuals believe that American democracy has failed because it makes businesses uncompetitive, and therefore democracy here should be replaced by something else. I don't think the Wall Street Journal and such a respected columnist would lie about something like that so the group exists, although it seems to be keeping a low profile.

In the Wall Street Journal in general, America being uncompetitive means the complaints that US businesses are uncompetitive because wages are too high, because environmental regulations are too costly, and because health and safety regulations are too costly.

To change that completely would logically require an end to democracy, because otherwise the voters would become upset and elect liberals to return to what we have now.

There is a method of ending American democracy which has been discussed. During Watergate, the Los Angeles Times reported that President Nixon asked the Rand Corporation to evaluate what would happen if American elections were postponed due to social disorder. Then, in summer before the 2004 election, a Bush Administration spokesperson was reported by the media to have warned that the fall elections might have to be postponed due to terrorist threats to the polling places.

Jim

the fed govt is not a full democracy.

“But charters and corporations have a more extensive evil effect than what relates merely to elections. They are sources of endless contentions in places where they exist, and they lessen the common rights of national society”

– Thomas Paine The Rights of Man

Last edited:
OK, I'll say it first this time.

The United States is not a democracy.

The United States of course isn't a perfect democracy, but it is about as good as a democracy gets.

The only large real democracy I have heard of is in a couple of science fiction books, In the books, everyone had something like Internet access in a direct brain to cap connection, and everyone voted on every issue.

But there is nothing like that in the near future as far as I can tell.

Jim

After the nation’s founding, corporations were granted charters by the state as they are today. Unlike today, however, corporations were only permitted to exist 20 or 30 years and could only deal in one commodity, could not hold stock in other companies, and their property holdings were limited to what they needed to accomplish their business goals. And perhaps the most important facet of all this is that most states in the early days of the nation had laws on the books that made any political contribution by corporations a criminal offense.

Our founding fathers would have never approved of any form of collectivism. They understood that all great concentrations of wealth and power represent a significant threat to the freedoms and liberties of average citizens.
LiveLeak.com - Founding Fathers Were Against Corporatism

The United States of course isn't a perfect democracy, but it is about as good as a democracy gets.

The only large real democracy I have heard of is in a couple of science fiction books, In the books, everyone had something like Internet access in a direct brain to cap connection, and everyone voted on every issue.

Jim

We are supposed to be a Constitutional Republic. It started out well, them people messed with it.

Benjamin Franklin was stopped by a woman as he left the Continental Congress and asked, "What did you create?" Franklin responded, "A republic, madam. If you can keep it."

History has shown we haven't kept it. Two of the greatest blows were the actions by Lincoln and the 17th amendment.

So yes I'm in favor of tearing it all down and starting over.

Jim

We are supposed to be a Constitutional Republic. It started out well, them people messed with it.

Benjamin Franklin was stopped by a woman as he left the Continental Congress and asked, "What did you create?" Franklin responded, "A republic, madam. If you can keep it."

History has shown we haven't kept it. Two of the greatest blows were the actions by Lincoln and the 17th amendment.

Try it on a deserted island and get back with us when you become a world power.

the fed govt is not a full democracy.

“But charters and corporations have a more extensive evil effect than what relates merely to elections. They are sources of endless contentions in places where they exist, and they lessen the common rights of national society”

– Thomas Paine The Rights of Man

Thnak god.

Jim

Go to Somalia, it's already been torn down and is ready for you to lead them in a renaissance. Take the rest of those who hate America today, I'm sure (sarcasm alert) together you would build a conservative utopia ('course some of the natives might object to your ownership of them).

Democracy always fails. We are a republic, but as soon as we got universal sufferage where everyone could vote democracy started to fail. Democracies only last until a majority of people start voting themselves benefits from the public treasury. Then it becomes Detroit.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
American democracy has failed

We are a republic, not a democracy.

What we need is a rule that people who get checks of other people's money from the government, including social security and government employees, cannot vote in the year they get those checks because it's a clear conflict of interest.

The rest, who are the people who fund government, will vote to spend responsibly. The people who are living off other people's money are just voting themselves more of it every year.

Jim

You may add my vote to this^

This government is out of Control...it took us 100 years to get to tyranny of this magnitude.

Forum List

Back